So who's burning the Koran on the 11th?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308308

When you say day...do you mean 24 hour period. Because Bang's explanation could fit just fine if the translation of "yome" is actually era instead of day.

The evening and the morning, the first day can't be 24 hours or an era...the ability to measure time does not exist until the 5th day after the sun, moon and stars are created for that purpose. When the creator said "let there be light" and it was good, it was not sunlight. That darkness and light is what he measured the first 4 days with.

The first 4 days are a mystery when calculating time. The word Yom, means day in Hebrew, not era. How long a day is when time means nothing could be millions or billions of years, seconds, weeks months. Time is nothing so these changes God created, so it took as long as he needed it to.

Time was calculated after the sun and moon, the book Bereishis (Genesis) says that these lights were to keep track of time after it's creation. Gen 1:14

On a personal level, I like Bang guys way of looking at it, but on examination it can't hold up.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308391

The evening and the morning, the first day can't be 24 hours or an era...the ability to measure time does not exist until the 5th day after the sun, moon and stars are created for that purpose. When the creator said "let there be light" and it was good, it was not sunlight. That darkness and light is what he measured the first 4 days with.

The first 4 days are a mystery when calculating time. The word Yom, means day in Hebrew, not era. How long a day is when time means nothing could be millions or billions of years, seconds, weeks months. Time is nothing so these changes God created, so it took as long as he needed it to.

Time was calculated after the sun and moon, the book Bereishis (Genesis) says that these lights were to keep track of time after it's creation. Gen 1:14

On a personal level, I like Bang guys way of looking at it, but on examination it can't hold up.

in old hebrew it meant era as well... and as time moved on it became just day....sort of like the word "gay as I explained.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/200#post_3308425

My books just say day..What books are you looking at? I love ancient Hebrew.

That is very obvious......the reverend at the church I work for was actually at digs in a lot of holy places in Jerusalem.....he has soooooo many stories, and it amazes me to listen to them, he is very well learned with ancient Hebrew

BTW he is a Methodist preacher

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/220#post_3308437
It is obvious to me the dedication you have to your beliefs, that you have a lot of knowledge on these subjects

Okayyy…I still don’t know what was so obvious. LOL..and when it comes to knowledge I know very, very little.

I was seriously asking about which book Darth was looking at. There are so many books and if it has Hebrew translations chances are I have it. Allot of folks often look at two or three books to figure out a Bible concept. A really think a word study on the Hebrew word Yom is really great, I haven’t seen it translated as era before, so I ask and hope he will answer which book.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/220#post_3308456

Okayyy…I still don’t know what was so obvious. LOL..and when it comes to knowledge I know very, very little.

I was seriously asking about which book Darth was looking at. There are so many books and if it has Hebrew translations chances are I have it. Allot of folks often look at two or three books to figure out a Bible concept. A really think a word study on the Hebrew word Yom is really great, I haven’t seen it translated as era before, so I ask and hope he will answer which book.
There are roughly 65-67 versus where the word yom was translated into the word "time"...which can also mean era.

a few times it was translated to mean year

There are other instances of the word translating into "age", "ago", and a few other words that represent different formes of "time".

From The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (1980, Moody Press)
"It can denote: 1. the period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness), 2. the period of twenty-four hours, 3. a general vague "time," 4. a point of time, 5. a year (in the plural; I Sam 27:7; Ex 13:10, etc.)."

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/220#post_3309165

There are roughly 65-67 versus where the word yom was translated into the word "time"...which can also mean era.

a few times it was translated to mean year

There are other instances of the word translating into "age", "ago", and a few other words that represent different formes of "time".

From The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament (1980, Moody Press)
"It can denote: 1. the period of light (as contrasted with the period of darkness), 2. the period of twenty-four hours, 3. a general vague "time," 4. a point of time, 5. a year (in the plural; I Sam 27:7; Ex 13:10, etc.)."

I love word study!

As with any word, it is determined by how it is used in a sentence. This is how most translate a verse..the Moody Bible institute did an admirable job with what they had to work with.

The Hebrew word for DAY in Bereishis (Genesis) is YOM the letters are Yud and a Final Mem. The word TIME in Hebrew is Yud- mem - final mem ..I doubt you read Hebrew, but a final mem is a different letter than a regular mem. The word TIME has both a regular and final mem. Both words for day and time have the same sound of YOM but they are different words in Hebrew. For example Flower and Flour sound the same, but they are spelled different.

The Hebrew word YEAR
is Shonah = The Hebrew letters Shin- nun - hey

The word ERA
does not exist in Hebrew, So Yom would never be translated as era. The closest it comes to saying ths is the Time of King such nd such.

Edited: I had 10 years in my head

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/220#post_3309214

I love word study!

As with any word, it is determined by how it is used in a sentence. This is how most translate a verse..the Moody Bible institute did an admirable job with what they had to work with.

The Hebrew word for DAY in Bereishis (Genesis) is YOM the letters are Yud and a Final Mem. The word TIME in Hebrew is Yud- mem - final mem ..I doubt you read Hebrew, but a final mem is a different letter than a regular mem. The word TIME has both a regular and final mem. Both words for day and time have the same sound of YOM but they are different words in Hebrew. For example Flower and Flour sound the same, ut they are spelled different.

The Hebrew word YEAR
is Shonah = Shin- nun - hey

The word ERA
does not exist in Hebrew, the letter Yud (NO MEM) is a number 10. I have left out the Nukud (Hebrew vowels) because in the Holy Scroll the nukud does not appear, but the vowel letter missing is a vav with a dot over the top..it is a long O sound. A Strongs Concordance will show this letter, I mention it so you won't be confused.

So Yom would never be translated as era. The books would openly say 10 (a single letter yud)... years, days or whatever.

The hebrew language as it stands today, you are correct. Old hebrew, not exactly. you also have to factor a translation from old hebrew, to greek (which is the first translation) to our english today would lose a lot of accuracy.

Also factor in, the hebrew language would not be as vast as it is today in the time of moses...how long has it taken the english language to go from where it was to where it is today.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/220#post_3309232

The hebrew language as it stands today, you are correct. Old hebrew, not exactly. you also have to factor a translation from old hebrew, to greek (which is the first translation) to our english today would lose a lot of accuracy.

Also factor in, the hebrew language would not be as vast as it is today in the time of moses...how long has it taken the english language to go from where it was to where it is today.

I was using a reference from one your (Christians) books Strong’s Concordance, the books Moody would have used. I am talking old Hebrew.

Greek was never translated first. The first 5 books are still in Old Hebrew, so they are very accurate, The scroll is opened every Shabbat. The Hebrew letters I was talking about are from the days of Babylon’s exile, long before the Greeks. There are older texts with a more ancient Hebrew, so it’s true the scroll we use today have the “new” Hebrew letters if you want to call the books from Babylon and the days of Ezra new.

The Torah scroll is old Hebrew. You are correct that the translation into English is indeed inaccurate, the word Yom can’t be translated into a word that had no meaning in ancient text. The word ERA does not exist in ancient Hebrew at all. Since such a word did not exist, you can’t translate it to say that.

In today’s Modern Hebrew: I looked it up there are three words in modern Hebrew for the word Era, they don’t even use the word Yom.

The Hebrew letters used for the word Era in modern Hebrew language:
[list type=decimal]
[*]
Shin – Yud - yud – eiyn
[*]
Eiyn – yud – dalet – final nun
Tav – Qoof – nun – pey - hey
[/list type=decimal]

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/220#post_3309237

I was using a reference from one your (Christians) books Strong’s Concordance, the books Moody would have used. I am talking old Hebrew.

Greek was never translated first. The first 5 books are still in Old Hebrew, so they are very accurate, The scroll is opened every Shabbat. The Hebrew letters I was talking about are from the days of Babylon’s exile, long before the Greeks. There are older texts with a more ancient Hebrew, so it’s true the scroll we use today have the “new” Hebrew letters if you want to call the books from Babylon and the days of Ezra new.

The Torah scroll is old Hebrew. You are correct that the translation into English is indeed inaccurate, the word Yom can’t be translated into a word that had no meaning in ancient text. The word ERA does not exist in ancient Hebrew at all. Since such a word did not exist, you can’t translate it to say that.

In today’s Modern Hebrew: I looked it up there are three words in modern Hebrew for the word Era, they don’t even use the word Yom.

The Hebrew letters used for the word Era in modern Hebrew language:
[list type=decimal]
[*]
Shin – Yud - yud – eiyn
[*]
Eiyn – yud – dalet – final nun
Tav – Qoof – nun – pey - hey
[/list type=decimal]

When I stated "era" i guess I should have been clear. I am referring to words that are synonymous with era...such as "time"./ "years".

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/380081/so-who-s-burning-the-koran-on-the-11th/220#post_3309242

When I stated "era" i guess I should have been clear. I am referring to words that are synonymous with era...such as "time"./ "years".

Forgive me, in Torah study we look at every letter and every word. Every tiny notation has a meaning and we want to dig for that truth. Stripping away all the layers like an onion. So to truly study Torah, words are very important and their meanings must be carefully examined.

To take a concept like Era and attach it to time, to say for example “the time God created the heavens”… may work in an interesting way…However to examine the word YOM itself and try to apply a word like era…That’s like taking a Hebrew word like oven and saying it applies to the microwave oven as well. While both are ovens, the author never imagined such a concept. So translating a word like microwave oven into scripture wouldn’t work.

It’s a little hard to explain…I will try it this way…

Years ago I was laying some of those self stick tiles in my home, I had a tiny little gap between a single tile when I first started, I remember thinking, it was so tiny..I just made sure all the other tiles from that point on were butted close together. When I was finished, I stood up to take a look at my work…the hallway looked as crooked as a dog’s hind leg. That tiny gap made everything off the further up the eye could see.

If the base is off, even a tiny bit, the more you build on it the more crooked it gets. Next thing you know, folks will be burning Holy Books.