Solomon Islands Devastated

reefforbrains

Read this earlier in underwater news. It is a rough time obviouslly from the devistation for the people, Body count still being tallied. But its also hard to see the pictures of so much sealife sitting high and dry. Bummer to say the least

sharkboy13

awwww man, that is really bad....to the solomon island teleportation thingy!! evry1 bring their water change equipment!!

20galfowlr

Anyone ever wonder whats going on with our planet? All the natural disasters happening, tsunamis, ocean warming, reefs dying, another NINO, La Nino i believe, they say most the oceans reefs could be gone in 25 years.. to me thats a horrible thought. A human species is wiping out 60 million years of these beautiful reefs and their inhabitants, all because of our ignorance and obsession with what seems to be domination. I think we are killing the world. Heres a little food for thought, did anyone know that if everyone in the United States stopped driving today, the total air polution would only subside 1%? That blows my mind. Sorry if this brings anyone down, but i just wanted to speak what was on my mind right now.

ophiura

These are always shocking incidents, and of course the death toll is always of concern.
However, this is normal, natural and proof that this planet is FAR more powerful - far greater - than MAN.
Much if this is hype hype hype. Does anyone think this has never happened before? Do you think the reefs won't grow back? I hate articles with quotes like some of that. It is a joke. Humans have no concept of anything greater than themselves, or time frames longer than a TV show...maybe a TV season.
YES, it will grow back, probably at a perfectly normal rate, which may take decades, centuries....
Hmmm. I wonder how there is a fossil coral reef on top of the Guadalupe Mts of West Texas near the NM border.
I hate to say it once again, but isn't it ironic we are lamenting NATURAL destruction when we are in other posts asking about rock, corals or fish - that in collecting, results in human destruction for pure entertainment for this hobby?
Do you research what this hobby can do to the environment? Do you buy sustainable and tank raised?
This event has nothing whatsoever to do with man, but you can make a real difference.

garfunkle

Originally Posted by ophiura
These are always shocking incidents, and of course the death toll is always of concern.
However, this is normal, natural and proof that this planet is FAR more powerful - far greater - than MAN.
Much if this is hype hype hype. Does anyone think this has never happened before? Do you think the reefs won't grow back? I hate articles with quotes like some of that. It is a joke. Humans have no concept of anything greater than themselves, or time frames longer than a TV show...maybe a TV season.
YES, it will grow back, probably at a perfectly normal rate, which may take decades, centuries....
Hmmm. I wonder how there is a fossil coral reef on top of the Guadalupe Mts of West Texas near the NM border.
I hate to say it once again, but isn't it ironic we are lamenting NATURAL destruction when we are in other posts asking about rock, corals or fish - that in collecting, results in human destruction for pure entertainment for this hobby?
Do you research what this hobby can do to the environment? Do you buy sustainable and tank raised?
This event has nothing whatsoever to do with man, but you can make a real difference.

I couldn't have said it better in a 9 page essay. Mosy hobbyists do not know that when they buy wild fish and some "natural" lr, they are the ones actually hurting these reefs.

kevinscrabs

Thank you ophiura for being level headed, this planet will take care of itself weather we like it or not, i dont watch news any more its mostly bs, but cant help to day dream a bunch of us over there trying to save some coral, just cause we care!!!

monalisa

I also agree that the human loss is devastating. Sad also is the fact that those people will need to readjust to how and possibly where they acquire their staple protein.
I also believe that this isn't the end of the corals in that area. We were diving in Cozumel in March, 2006, shortly after Wilma went through and were very saddened at how the corals looked. This year though, again in March, the corals are back and looking beautiful. They're obviously not yet to where they were before the storm, but the comeback was remarkable.
This isn't the first event of its kind, and I doubt it will be the last...and the earth regenerates.
Lisa :happyfish

1journeyman

Originally Posted by 20galFOWLR
Anyone ever wonder whats going on with our planet? All the natural disasters happening, tsunamis, ocean warming, reefs dying, another NINO, La Nino i believe, they say most the oceans reefs could be gone in 25 years.. to me thats a horrible thought. A human species is wiping out 60 million years of these beautiful reefs and their inhabitants, ...
to add to what Ophiura said:
Study fossil records and you'll find there have been MASSIVE die offs multiple times before in our planet's history. Tsunamis, hurricanes, floods, droughts, etc. are a part of our planet's dynamic.
The tragic part is how badly people suffer in these remote locations when natural disasters occur.

aztec reef

I agree, the fact is that this activities had been going ON for decades even centuries the only thing that has changed is the MAGNITUDE.

ophiura

We know, of course, of numerous very large scale mass extinctions that impacted >90% of all live on earth.
I bet that day in the Cretaceous when the meteor hit was bad...

T

tiberius

Originally posted by 20galFOWLR

Anyone ever wonder whats going on with our planet? All the natural disasters happening, tsunamis, ocean warming, reefs dying, another NINO, La Nino
I know that every week it seems that the weather person is saying "We don't normally have this weather now" when viewing the US weather on Weather Channel.
i believe, they say most the oceans reefs could be gone in 25 years..
I read that the fish population will be depleted in 2040. Makes me sick when I hear those Red Lobster commercials with the all you can eat menus.
I think we are killing the world.
If you watched that Al Gore movie then it sure looks like it. If Greenland does melt, I will be under water!
I just feel bad about the polar bears drowning because they are losing so much ice and can't swim forever.

ophiura

How can Greenland melt?
HYPE
HYPE
HYPE
HYPE
And a lot of just plain lies, short sightedness, lack of any scientific education, more hype, MONEY, lack of understanding of time scales, human egocentrism....just to start