Someone has lied to me

jon!!!

Hello!
Awhile ago I got a 55 gal saltwater startup tank kit. In the little manual that came with my tank kit, it told me that I could add fish within 24 hours of the pH and temperature stabilizing. This didn't sound right to me, so I waited till I could go back to the fish store to ask them.
So off I went to the fish store! There they told me that I would have to wait about a month before I could add fishies AND that I would need to buy 1 to 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon of water. This means that I'd have to spend somewhere between $570-$850 on live rock (Canadian $ with tax etc). I find this hard to believe seeing as the guy who sold me the tank in the first place said the kit had "everything I needed". Could someone tell me how much live rock I need, if any at all?
THANKS!

dogstar

Well, the LFS guy did not lie. Live rock is the best natural filter for a SW tank and it takes about a month or more for a new tank to cycle befor you can add livestock. Keep reading this site and learn as much as you can. Take your time befor rushing into getting fish ect, because they are so fragil.
Good job on questioning the book and the LFS for that matter. Question everything. Even what I just said. Thats how you learn.

sprieto

Technically couldn't one add damsels...
yea, I know (or hear) it is cruel, but one could do it......
and the fish might live, and then the book technically didn't lie.........

murph

A huge initial investment is not necessary to get started in the hobby.
You can have a Fish only sw tank with the proper mechanical and biological filtration and water change schedule. Pretty much like a fresh water tank with some sea salt mix. You can then add cured live rock in small amounts as you can afford it. If you are like most you will then add sufficient lighting complete your complement of live rock add a protein skimmer etc. This can all be done over a period of time.
Cycling time will vary from tank to tank and after that you can add a few a hardy specimens.

mr.p

You don't need to buy it all at one time, i'm buying live rock little by little a pound or 2 a week and just adding on. It is expensive, you do need live rock though just like you need live sand all it does is help not hurt.
if you have some live sand and live rock you that helps speed up the cycling process, but if you don't have those things your going to have to wait a month or two or so.

hot883

Originally Posted by Jon!!!
Hello!
Awhile ago I got a 55 gal saltwater startup tank kit. In the little manual that came with my tank kit, it told me that I could add fish within 24 hours of the pH and temperature stabilizing. This didn't sound right to me, so I waited till I could go back to the fish store to ask them.
So off I went to the fish store! There they told me that I would have to wait about a month before I could add fishies AND that I would need to buy 1 to 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon of water. This means that I'd have to spend somewhere between $570-$850 on live rock (Canadian $ with tax etc). I find this hard to believe seeing as the guy who sold me the tank in the first place said the kit had "everything I needed". Could someone tell me how much live rock I need, if any at all?
THANKS!
It does have everything you need for a FRESH WATER setup. If going SW you will need between 1-1.5 lbs. of LR per gallon. Thats the best recommendation as it provides added and natural filtration.

rpick

i started a 29 gal reef only tank in early march. i first put 20lbs of cured (20lvs for $110 on this site. i then addes another 35lbs of uncured rock til the end of march. it took til june for the tank to cycle. lr is expensive but helpful. i don't think you need this much for a fish only but it alsways helps. this is NOT a cheap hobby, thats for sure.

bang guy

Originally Posted by sprieto
Technically couldn't one add damsels...
yea, I know (or hear) it is cruel, but one could do it........
Technically one could add a Nurse Shark.
The manual may have referenced fresh water fish where it is common to add fish after 24 hours.
You don't "need" live rock. It does make for a good looking filtration system though.

sprieto

Technically the Nurse shark would die in about an hour, the damsels wont.
And the Nurse Shark will cost a lot more than the $5 damsel.

jon!!!

Well then,
It sounds like I should have live rock, I just don't need all of it all at once.
CELACANTHr, (or anybody else who knows) how does one go about making their own live rock? Is this a good idea?
Hot883, it was a salt water startup kit. It came with salt.
If I have some live rock will it turn other rocks into live rocks too?
Thank you everyone for your comments!!!!!!!

S

sinner's girl

You should cycle your tank and wait before adding fish. LR is good, but not a must (you must have salt). You can pick up a few pieces at a time, you buy base rock and mix it with the lr, or you can make your own. Most fish like to have something to hide in, sleep in, swim in, but you could something other than lr.
Although this guy wants to make money, be glad he didn't sell you ten fish at once, three days in a row.

bang guy

Technically the Nurse shark would die in about an hour, the damsels wont.
And the Nurse Shark will cost a lot more than the $5 damsel.
Ahhhh, I see. It's OK to torture a cheap fish but not an expensive fish.

S

sinner's girl

If I have some live rock will it turn other rocks into live rocks too?
Yep, as long as the other rocks are calcuim based. We didn't buy all live, picked up some here and there, found a few pieces of base rock we liked, added that...now after 5 years we have about 100lbs.
(or anybody else who knows) how does one go about making their own live rock? Is this a good idea?
CHeck the DIIY forum, there are a few post on it. Also you can google it and find it.
Good luck!

sprieto

I will admite I am a total newbie, and this is all just opinion, but:
I did do lots of bad on my first tank and learned as I went, but lots of this hobby is based on personal opinions on how you want to do things, and learning from mistakes (or not).
I used no live rock the first time, and for fish only, if you have good filters, you do not need live rock.
About adding fish, yes I added 3 damsels after the first 48 hours, I knew the risks and possibilities.
Yes, 1 died, but 2 lived (and are still alive). I used them again 3 months later to help cycle another tank (and they still live), this one had a little live rock, but not much.
Yes it is cruel, and yes mant people do not agree with it, but it can be done.
This thread started with a question and I felt he needed to know all the variables.
Sorry, don't mean to argue, just wanted to point out in the end, make your own decision.

ophiura

I would agree that you could put fish in within 24 hours. In a traditional cycling method - which had basically been done with damselfish, this would be true. And you would often add about 1 per 5 gallons (maximum stocking level) to force the tank into a "worst case scenario" in cycling and establishing the biological filter.
My name is Susan, and I sold many damselfish to be used in cycling a tank. :(
But now, well, this is not considered the most humane way - and also not the most financially sound way either (except for an LFS).
I would like to take a moment and tell you that over all you have a good LFS from the sound of it. Don't be too quick to be hard on them.
But you can do the DIY live rock, or you can buy base rock such as "holey rock" or other limestone based rock. Look into local reef clubs where people sell LR. Or just add small amounts at a time (important if the rock is uncured and your tank is established).
So, basically, no one is really lying to you. There are just lots of opinions on how to do things in this hobby.

bang guy

Sorry, don't mean to argue, just wanted to point out in the end, make your own decision.
Sorry to jump on you like that. It's just unneccessary to subject a fish to ammonia like that. Being in the hobby as long as I have means that I've made more mistakes than most people. As far as cycling, using Damsels is still an accepted practice but it is damaging to the fish even if they survive it. Instead of fish just use the food that you would be feeding the fish by itself. It's just as effective and from an economical view, it's cheaper. From a humane point of view it doesn't harm any fish.

ophiura

LOL...Sprieto, you can go and vote in Bang Guy's nitrite thread and vote for "Bang is Nuts" to get back at him
We're gonna keep that poll alive Bang!!