Southern Jokes.........

belothsurf

Whuuuut's the difference between a Northern Zoo, and a Southern Zoo?
A Northern Zoo has a plaque below each animal with it's description.....
A Southern Zoo has a plaque below each animal with it's description.....and a recipe.............
:eek:

squidd

Up here in the north we got huge dump trucks spreading grit(s) on the road for traction in the snow...
Best use I've seen for them yet...:D

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Melody
Hey....don't be dissin our grits! No, no
:D

All About Grits
"What’s that white stuff on my plate? I didn’t order that!" observes any
northerner who goes south and orders breakfast in a southern restaurant for the first time. Northern folks don’t understand grits. Grits come
automatically with breakfast in the south whether you order them or not,
like butter with bread or cream with coffee.
Seasoned travelers nod knowingly, and offer advice, "It’s sort of like cream of wheat." Well, not exactly. Grits are normally thicker – not to mention the obvious fact that they are made of corn, and cream of wheat is made from another grain. If you want to really irritate a southerner, just compare grits to cream of wheat – or anything else in the world.
Grits are a mystery food. We can always spot a Yankee by their reaction to grits. They are the ones picking at the white lump with a fork while
politely tying to avoid gagging for the rest of the meal. The Yankee will
make a mental note to be sure to tell the waitress not to serve any grits
next time. The waitress will make a mental note to bring more grits.
Something has to be wrong with the first batch if they are not being eaten.
Grits are a regional food of the south. In the situation of eating grits, I’m rather inclined to side with the north, if it won’t start another war. I
can eat grits with enough sugar and determination; however, a good ol’ boy will eat them with only a bit of salt and butter and a smack of the lips - or will pour bacon grease on them. Of course, southerners will eat about anything with bacon grease on it.
If you know how grits are made, you will probably be even less inclined to indulge in their ingestion. They are made from mashed up hominy. What’s hominy? Well, it’s dried corn that is soaked in lye water until the husks come off and the kernels puff up. The lye is drained and the puffed corn rinsed to remove the lye. It sounds a lot like a death wish to me.
Folks in the south don’t worry much about getting poisoned from things like lye. They like lye so much, they even used it in their home made soap in the olden days. Some claim it is the best cleaning soap there is. The lye soap my grandmother used to make would clean dishes, laundry, hands, and possibly remove your eyebrows if you used it on your face. Maybe they eat grits to keep the lye away from the soap makers.
Southerners like living dangerously, though, and eat other poison foods as
well. Pokeweed, for instance, is a traditional southern dish cooked in
spring as greens, something like spinach. Again, it involves much rinsing to
remove the poison and much bacon grease to make it eatable. I really don’t advise trying it unless you know what you are doing, have a southern mama to advise you, or have a husband you’ve been wanting to get rid of anyhow.
Southerners are as proud of grits as they are of cornbread. There are other ways to make grits without the lye process, but they don’t seem nearly as fun or challenging. You can grind white corn and use the fine part as white corn meal and the larger particles for grits. Some folks have actually made grits into a specialty item, adding cheese, frying grits pancakes, and making grits casseroles. No matter what you do to grits, however, they are still grits.
I hope I won’t lose my membership card to southern culture over my distaste for grits. Lord knows, I’ve eaten enough cornbread and can whip up a fine crock pot of black-eyed peas with ham hocks should the need arise. Surely that and my southern drawl should be enough get me through any Mason-Dixon identity check.

nm reef

I kind of like grits myself.....
Ya'all do know Georgia is building the largest zoo in the entire world don't you?
Yup...they are building a fence around Alabama!!!!!

aarone

wow thomas that was very well thought out!
boiled peanuts
Melody....I HATE BOILED PEANUTS!!!

pumpie

I heard for fun Southerns go cow tipping, from my friend who lives in GA, she still hasn't lived that one down!!

birdy

lol this is funny, I spent a summer in East Texas working at a summer camp (teaching horseback riding lessons) well I worked with a guy from Louisana.
He said ton's of stuff that I was like :confused:
Jump if you are feeling froggy
swimming in a tank
There were a ton of others but I am to tired to think of them right now.
The best ones were just pronuciation, some of the kids from deep in Louisiana I couldn't even understand.

saltynewbie

Originally posted by Melody
My dear fellow Mississippian, you mean to tell me you've never tried any polk salad? Or you just don't want to admit it!!

well i am one generation removed from those who have partaken of the polk salad... .my dad has eaten it, but i have never had it. i know it grows in the woods behind my house though! hahaha...

microman2k

Originally posted by SaltyNewbie
whew melody! you got REALLY country when you mentioned polk salad... hahahaha...

its poke sallet! northerners

saltynewbie

melody... you forgot -
lost as a goose
dead as a doornail
sick as a dog
and if something is really nasty, its said to be able to "make a billy goat puke"
haha...

harlequin

Whats wrong with grits? They taste great with sugar. When I was in Basic Traing at Ft Benning, grits were about the only thing the cooks actually made that was good. At least we dont dip pur french fries in mayo or call Cokes "pop" thats just annoying.

lovethesea

ah, southern cooking is the best. Jackson Miss is where I started on it as a little girl. When I go visit my Dad in the Atlanta area, a friend of his is from the deep south and cooks a meal for me that about makes me cry.
Blackeyed peas, hushpuppies, grits, greens (greens not my fav nor the polk salad)
and generally pork chops. We are heading that way again in a few weeks and I can't wait. :joy:

lovethesea

Originally posted by KittyKitty
atleast we don't call all soda "cokes" that's annoying. :D

how about "pop". I have family in Michigan and they always say Pop for soda.

salty cheese

Q.How can you tell if a guy from Tennessee is married?
A.There is dried tobacco on both sides of the pick-up truck.
Q.What do you call a 14 year old girl from Georgia who can run faster than her older brother?
A.A virgin.
Did you know that the toothbrush was invented in Mississippi? And the reason we know this is because if it was invented anywhere else it would be called the teethbrush.
:D

E

essop3

Kind of a southern joke. I see alot of these there anyway.
Q: What has 12 teeth and 8 breasts?
A: night shift at the Waffle House