SOVIETTACO's 24g Nano-Cube Diary

soviettaco

Well I am 4 weeks into salt water aquaria and I think 2 weeks into the SWF forum!!! So basically I am a super newb
Here's a breakdown of what I have!!

Parameters:
SG: 1.025
Temp: 76-78
Ph: 8.3
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5.0
The tanks is a jbj nano-cube 24g btw.
Tank Buddies (as of yesterday and what is in the first round of pics):
3 astrea snails
3 baby black shell hermits
3 medium blue leg hermits
2 scarlet hermits
2 ocellaris clowns
1 green torch coral with 4 heads
about 12 lbs LR
20 lbs LS
I have the stock set up so:
2 36 Watt 50/50 CF lamps for daylight operation blue and white lights
2 Nite-Vu LED moonlights
An adjustable 106 GPH submersible pump
(not stock lol) 1 Hydor Koralia nano power head 240 gph
My filter consists of:
my 1st cell only being those spongey things
my 2nd cell has bio balls, ceramic tubes, provided carbon bag, one sponge
and the 3rd cell is my heater and pump
The tank itself is on it's 4th week. i have had a low to moderate growth of just brown algae on mostly the rock and sand. not much has covered the glass or back yet.
heres some pics
this was day 3 i think just LS LR 3 baby hermits and 3 blue legs

side view

My fishies!!

Torch coral which is massive

My RG but he died I think it's cause my tank is probably going to cycle really soon and he was just not hardy enough. Either that or my female ocellaris ripped him apart, she is crazy aggressive.

There you go please comment I need some moral support I am constantly doubting myself with this new hobby.
I will post up new pics of the stuff I got today probably tomorrow or friday.
ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!
~Rob

nw2salt08

Keep up the good work. If you doubt something, just ask. That's what we're here for. Just watch for a nitrate spike for cycling. Don't let it get over 20 and you'll be just fine.

spanko

That is a lot of additions into a four week old tank. Everything looks well. My suggestion to you would be to sit back for another four weeks without anymore additions and let the tank stabilize. Do not be surprised if things start to go wrong here, just keep the forum posted as time goes on and start to get into some regular routine on water changes and cleaning tank, filters, biomedia etc.

nano-newb1983

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3132328
That is a lot of additions into a four week old tank. Everything looks well. My suggestion to you would be to sit back for another four weeks without anymore additions and let the tank stabilize. Do not be surprised if things start to go wrong here, just keep the forum posted as time goes on and start to get into some regular routine on water changes and cleaning tank, filters, biomedia etc.
Yup, spankos right.. Take it slow and ask questions if needed.. I got same tank as you so i will be watching this thread

Cant wait to see more of it

soviettaco

Thanks! BTW I was told I could do more corals right now, hardy ones that is by two LFSs. Hopefully that won't effect to much stuff
. It better not or I will cry lol.
here's the updated list as of yesterday:
3 astrea snails
1 stometella snail (hitchhiker)
3 baby black shell hermits
3 medium blue leg hermits
2 scarlet hermits
1 emerald crab (hitchhiker)
2 ocellaris clowns
1 green torch coral with 4 heads
Red brain coral
piece of rock with a ton of purple/blue mushrooms and what looks to be some polyps
about 12 lbs LR
20 lbs LS
all the red stuff is new and was perscribed to me lol by my LFS as being ok for now.
And yeah I want to wait for about 3 weeks before anything else.
BTW what can I do to keep nitrates down besides "monthly" water changes?
Just so you know I have spent enough money lol for now so a giant sump is out of the question (maybe in a year from now I will consider it but not right now).
I will post some pics later today with my new corals!!! the brain seems be doing great it ate a fatty chunk of frozen food that it caught so i think that is a good sign!!!

nw2salt08

With a 24 gal tank you should be doing 2-3gal water changes every other week. If you have a spike....do smaller more frequent. Slow down on adding anything....even corals right now. They need stable water too. Your tank is still trying to work on a cycle and bioload at the same time. You don't want to overload it and then have it crash. I would just sit back and wait a little. Watch your parameters.

soviettaco

Originally Posted by Nw2Salt08
http:///forum/post/3132410
With a 24 gal tank you should be doing 2-3gal water changes every other week. If you have a spike....do smaller more frequent. Slow down on adding anything....even corals right now. They need stable water too. Your tank is still trying to work on a cycle and bioload at the same time. You don't want to overload it and then have it crash. I would just sit back and wait a little. Watch your parameters.

nissan577

hey there!
really nice tank you having here bro. like Henry and Mark said. relax and enjoy the sw life. after a few weeks you can add some stuff. looking amazing btw

soviettaco

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3132705
loving it!
Thanks! You should check this out its pretty funny https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=365280

Oh and I have a question for everybody, should I remove the sponge filter thing? And instead replace it with some live rock? And if I do that should the LR be like 1 big peice or should it be smaller pieces (golf ball size) that way the water flows through many pieces till getting to the bottom?
Any tips would be great!

soviettaco

Is a red brain coral supposed to shrink at night? and do most people's emerald crabs eat algae like its their last day on earth? mine has nearly made that top piece of my LR white, i'm worried he's eating more then my tank can produce.

meowzer

Originally Posted by SOVIETTACO
http:///forum/post/3135405
Is a red brain coral supposed to shrink at night? and do most people's emerald crabs eat algae like its their last day on earth? mine has nearly made that top piece of my LR white, i'm worried he's eating more then my tank can produce.
LOL...a lot of corals close up at night
and emeralds are always onthe go....a goodthing

soviettaco

Ok I guess your right, he just has eaten a lot in a short time. And yeah the brain coral question was pretty dumb
Btw I have 3 astrea snails, 1 stometella hitchhiker and they are rarely on the glass whats with that? i have this huge strip of algae on the glass where the sandbed meets it, and I can't use my mag cleaner obviously cause it would kick up tons of sand, junk, etc... So would nassarius snails or bumble bee snails take care of the lower algae. You can see where all the algae is by looking at my more recent pictures.
Its just unsitely and bothers me.