Star's 14g Biocube diary

star27624

Yeah, I had thought about doing that. Just need to figure out the logistics of keeping my too intelligent cats out. They love water, and can open just about anything they can get the paw in, on, under, or around. (drawers, doors, and can defeat most baby locks usually by unscrewing the knobs so that the baby lock just either hangs there or falls to the floor.)
I am terrified that the same weird problem is going to be present in the 29. The amount of water leaking from the 14g is annoying as it is, but more water available to leak from the 29g. A part of me wishes that I had passed on the "great deals" I got on these 2 set up and just waited to get the RSM 34g.
Anyway, need to go drag the shop vac out and try to dry the carpet out some more.

star27624

Ok, so I think I have maybe (fingers crossed, but not holding breathe) figured out the leak in the process of fishing the damsel out of the sump, will have to wait and see. I don't know what it is about the sump this weekend that is so dang fascinating to my fish.
I ended up taking the sponge out and putting my bag of chem pure elite in its place, this allows for a little higher water level back there. I think that a pressure build up was some how occurring and was forcing the water out, relieve pressure, water leak stops. Don't know if that is true or not, but at the moment I am not seeing any new water coming out, just still wicking out the water from under the tank from this latest round with the mystery leak.
So I got the camera out since patrick8929 had asked for some pics yesterday. As I was taking the first pic I was pleased that the firefish came out, but the batteries went dead as the picture tried to take. After a frantic search for batteries, I got these pictures.
FTS'

These guys are getting bigger and one has changed color a bit.
So that's all for now. Sorry about the water spots on the glass, hadn't made it that far after digging in the sump for fish this weekend.

star27624

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2867099
love your tank! and so much chaeto! lol looking great!
Thanks. I am trying. It is so much different with the little tanks than the monster tanks I worked with many moons ago. I am enjoying these so much more.

star27624

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2867104
looks real good start, i like what youve done with it, an i love that firefish
Thanks!! I love my firefish too. I was originally gonna get the purple one since I had to choose one, but the LFS wanted $60. It was cool when I got him though, they'd just gotten a shipment in, so I got to pick through the 6 or 8 they had gotten in.
Though he has changed my plans for the chaeto. The big clump is one of his hiding places.

star27624

Finally heard from the warranty department of Oceanic. They are going to send another 14 tank only out to me. This would have been great when I first contacted them, now
carpet + sw not good, frustration, worry... just to have the tank replaced months later when there have been problems with the fans in the hood too?
Anyway.. in a mood today. Almost quitting time, so gonna get ready to go home after I take care of my picos here at work.

star27624

Between my 2 dogs, the 5 cats, the 30 chickens, and my various aquariums, there is always something to make you smile. The chickens are always good for at least a chuckle, but tonight it was my serpent star that pulled a pure laugh from me.
I was feeding a mix of mysis and marine snow to everybody with a few pellets thrown in first to keep the nasarrius snails busy. I always squirt some of this towards one of his arms so that he's fed and will leave everybody else alone. Will, tonight his disc was a lot closer to the pipet I use to fed than I thought. 3 arms wrapped around the pipet and hold it to his mouth. So I slowly squeeze what I have in the pipet out for him. I thought he was going to try and eat the pipet while he was at it. I was afraid I was going to hurt him as I twisted and gently pulled it away from him. He was Mr. Piggy tonight. Grabbed onto it 2x as I was trying to finish feeding the tank. I was wishing that I had the camera and could take a picture while feeding him. He pretty much looked like a know tied on the end of the pipet, just too funny.
I also got to see a snail I had forgotten I had added a couple of weeks ago. I had intended to buy a conch, but ended up with a fancy nasarrius snail. Wow, I forgot how pretty it is. Of course, by the time I put the food back in the refrigerator and grabbed the camera, he was back to where ever he hides out.
Not sure if Mr scardy kat firefish got any of the treats. He went back into his hidey hole under the LR when I opened the feeding door in the lid. I hope he will chill out soon.
No water loss today either!!!! fingers crossed still.
Oh, one other funny to share. One of my cats fell into the bucket of SW I have for water changes. I have a lid loosely sitting on it to keep them and debris out. Well Chloe decided that she'd use the bucket as a launching platform/short cut to the bed. Needless to say, she knocked the lid and herself into the water. She didn't stay there long!!! Why is it that you can never get to the camera when the funny silly stuff happens.

mboswell1982

this is why you should have a video camera on 24/7, so you can constantly record these things, and maybe even make some money on america's funniest home videos

star27624

I've said that for years, but never buy the video camera. I really wish that I'd had one when my first sheltie Lil was still alive. She would "sing" to final Jeopardy every time it came on. She liked the original tune better, but still sang to it when the changed it to the current version ( or the version they changed it to about 10 or so years ago now I guess. She's been gone a little over 5 years now :( ) That was a hoot to watch, she'd dead stop whatever she'd been doing to go to the TV and sing to her song!

mboswell1982

dude, shelties are awesome lil dogs, absolutely full of personality, but hey, they're a herding dog, alllll herding dogs are full of personality LOL my personal faves are blue healers, u cant get much better, IMO, than a nice blue healer, especially if you get an oldschool one, the ones that are throwbacks to the dingo bloodlines, those dogs are awesome, just incredibly hard headed LOL

star27624

Yes! I am glad that the door to the hallway is usually at the end of the chalkboard so that I can say let's take a 5 min break. Oh and also that I teach college and not HS or MS. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

mboswell1982

this is why i will never be a teacher, i dont have any kids of my own, but helped in the raising of my niece, and while i want kids, i dont want em any time soon

star27624

See, I really want them, but need the other half of the genetic material, and not getting any younger. :( That has been the problem, the other half. I want to be a mother, to my children, not to my significant other. Nor a sugar momma, or a punching bag, yadda yadda yadda.
Anyway, I've made over a hundred posts now.

mboswell1982

LOL im 8 posts away from 2k posts
i just noticed that, wow
and yeah, me an jess plan on starting a family after we buy our own place and get settled with the dog business going strong

star27624

That sounds like a good plan you guys have, though I can't remember the specifics of the dog business, and I am too lazy tonight to go dredging back through the ALMOST 2000 posts to find it.
So refresh my memory, please.

mboswell1982

jess trains dogs, and is learning how to do schutzhund, so we're gonna open up a business doing that, and that might even be happening as soon as feb, depends on the head trainer for the region at petsmart, she's good friends with us, an jess might be goin into business with her

whisk

looks like it's coming along nicely. I have to admit your pictures look a lot better when you dont use the flash. I like the variety of corals you have so far and I gotta say that one pic of your brittle star makes it look like a monster!
Could you explain a little how you got rid of the aiptasia you had? I think I see some babies growing on one of my small rocks and trying to figure out the best solution of getting rid of it before it spreads. I have a peppermint but he either hasnt found it or is picky and doesnt want it. thanks Star.