Star's 14g Biocube diary

star27624

schutzhund is pretty cool, but at time very bruising. Dad was a K-9 cop, so he taught me a good bit of it when we had huskies way back when. I just do basic obedience with my little guys. Its funny that the terrier mix is better than my sheltie. They are both rescued babies, and Sterling's periodic disobedience is a large part due to the fact that for the first 3-5 years of his life he was total velcro-puppy. Its a little hard to train come, when they are attached to your ankles.

mboswell1982

i plan on doing working cattle dogs, and am in the process, on paper only, mapping out a way to breed a new breed of dogs who's only job will be herding buffalo, and can hopefully, and the initial talks look good, of working with the buffalo rescue groups scattered around yellowstone national park

mboswell1982

the dogs wont be sold to the average dog owner though LOL im crossing pit bulls, red nose's to be exact, with blue healers, preferably dingo throwbacks, with rhodesian ridgebacks, and i might throw in a catahoula down the road, LOL these dogs are gonna be big, 80+lbs, agile as all get out, and meaner than a stepped on black mamba on steroids

star27624

I wondered. Knew something with attitude, BIG ATTITUDE would need to be thrown into the mix. Might try a little bit of irish wolfhound, and if you could get it, try a enuate (sp) alaskan native sled dog. not your typical malamute or husky.

mboswell1982

they have no herding instinct, pits, astonishingly enough, with their super high prey drive, do a decent job of herding, the healer, with its major, and i mean MAJOR attitude problem, is arguably the greatest cow dog breed in the world, and throw in the rhodesian, youve got a dog that can go alllllllllllllll day long, no matter if its 110 degrees outside, or 5 below zero outside

star27624

The ones I'm thinking of will run reindeer, just don't have any idea what they're called or if they are even a recognized breed, or if they are still around. Had seen one maybe 10 years ago at a Pow Wow, that's the only reason I've even heard of them.
Those breeds do all have high drives, and pits are great dogs, just the idiots the get a hold of them and turn them into fighting machines make me mad. Then people blame the whole breed for what a few idiots have done. Though I have had issues with my neighbors pits. They tried to get aggressive with mom, and thought about going after sterling once. Its funny now though that they mind me as well as their owner.
Would love to know how it goes.

mboswell1982

we own 3 pits LOL they're a great breed, but, not quite as smart as my healers LOL
and to be honest, once i get the breed perfected, more than likely, every puppy born, unless he/she is absolutely outstanding, will be fixed, i do not want dogs like these becoming available to just anyone: a, they are going to be a serious handful and require very very very thorough training, b, they are going to be extremely aggressive unless properly socialized, rhodies, pits, and healers are all aggressive dogs, and c, its just not safe for most people to have a dog like that

star27624

Proper socialization is the key to so much. My guys being rescues, are to this day leary of non-family. I wish I had gotten them younger, but they have come so far since I brought them into my home. I don't take them out to places like Petsmart b/c it is just too stressful for them. Sterling is a dust mop, and ginger gets the terrier attitude going on (oh and petsmart is outside of her puke radius too. she loves car rides, but her tummy doesn't, and I don't do well trying to drive while she's puking. I can handle blood and gore, but not puke)

mboswell1982

Originally Posted by star27624
http:///forum/post/2868839
Proper socialization is the key to so much. My guys being rescues, are to this day leary of non-family. I wish I had gotten them younger, but they have come so far since I brought them into my home. I don't take them out to places like Petsmart b/c it is just too stressful for them. Sterling is a dust mop, and ginger gets the terrier attitude going on (oh and petsmart is outside of her puke radius too. she loves car rides, but her tummy doesn't, and I don't do well trying to drive while she's puking. I can handle blood and gore, but not puke)
most people dont do well with puke LOL

star27624

Nope,they don't.
Hey, I just noticed a little coral on the rock with the possible mushrooms that looks a lot like the pic from anothers ID please pic. I just posted to their thread, but (sorry) can't recall their screen name.
ANyway, typing skills goin going gone. So I am off to bed.

nissan577

you need the whoel dance! ill do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PAGE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woooooooooohoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

star27624

Thanks Nissan. I was at that point of brain dead last night that the dancing bananas was as far as I could go.

star27624

Had a package show up on my front porch friday, the replacement tank from oceanic arrived finally. So I have this big box sitting in my living room floor (unopened, haven't been home long enough to do more than drag it inside from the cold). So now I am torn, change the tank (which has quit or if leaking still is not very noticeable) over to the new 14g, or wait until I get the 29g here and change everything over to that. I had thought that I'd get the 29g home last week, but between the weather and some stomach bug, it hasn't happened yet.
Opinions?

whisk

well if the leaking isnt that bad, you save yourself some time and effort to wait until you get the 29g. Likes like you could get the 29 any day.

mboswell1982

if you want star, just ship that 14g to me an go with the 29g LOL
sorry, couldnt resist LOL
but, i agree with whisk, if the leaking has pretty much stopped, just wait til u get the 29 home an transfer everything over to it

star27624

I am leaning towards just waiting until I get the 29g to the house and move everything over. I still haven't opened the box that came the other day. Haven't been home long enough. If the weather is not icy, I will bringing the 29g home thursday evening. If it gets icy again, it will have to stay put. I am so not going to move a tank when it is icy.
On another note, those of you with firefish, do yours hang out where you can see them, or stay in their hidey holes most of the time?

star27624

Well, I figured out why the firefish wasn't hanging out where I could see him. The little snot was in the back of the tank again. So I dug him out, but I put the d a m n damsel back there along with most of the hermits until I can get them taken to the LFS.
It sucks that the LFS is so far from my house. It cool that it is close to work, but that doesn't help when you need to bag stuff up to take to them. I'm thinking about putting them into a bucket with a pump and heater to hold them through the work day and then take them to the lfs after work. Do y'all think that might work?
The weather here is cruddy and not looking up. We are supposed to be getting more freezing rain/sleet/snow tomorrow afternoon, so I will probably have to wait to pick up my other tank again because of the darn weather. But considering I had a hard enough time making it from the front door, down the sidewalk, and across the driveway to my truck this am with just my purse and briefcase in hand, I cannot imagine trying the reverse with a glass aquarium in hand.
I am hoping to go to either Dayton(OH), Indy, or to Ft. Wayne later this week to pick up supplies and hopefully some goodies. I have heard of a couple of good stores in Indy, and think there is one in Ft. Wayne, so hoping I can get what my LFS doesn't seem to be able to special order for me within a reasonable amount of time.