Start of one "BIG" SPS tank

goodwin9

First for the good news. The pump works fine. After removing what felt like wet cement from the bottom of both cylinders, the reactor cleaned up nicely.

Almost looks as good as the day I got it......

goodwin9

Now for the bad news, I pipes below the large reactor were darn near plugged shut. I'm pretty sure that was the main reason the pump stopped running. I cleaned the magnet and there wasn't much in the way of scoring from the material inside the pump.
I found where the water was leaking from. Right below the top of the large reactor cylinder 2" along the cylinder has let loose from the top. Poor picture, but you can get the idea of where this is separated.
I am going to try and fix this by running a bead of Weldon both on the inside and outside of the cylinder. This should be interesting as my only experience in gluing things back together was 40 some years ago building model airplanes....
Anyone with a little more recent experience might chime in here and give suggestions before I attempt this........

goodwin9

Originally Posted by Hefner413
http:///forum/post/2669118
another thought... would there be a warranty for that piece?
It's almost a year and a half old, so I think that the warranty has expired, Used some Weldon to try and seal things up. Should be dry by tomorrow and will see if it still leaks..........

goodwin9

The new pumps arrived, just in case there is some thing the new impeller doesn't fix. I hate to have to drain the sump and find that the pump is shot. Also bought a couple of new bulkheads and PLUGS, just in case......

A

alexmir

I was thinking the same thing!! That pump is huge!
how much did it weigh?

goodwin9

Well, Thanks again to Willy for offering to stop by and help with the changing of the pumps. Willy to the rescue once again. Not only was one pump not running, the second working pump developed a leak at the bulkhead causing the loss of about 30 gallons in 24 hour period. (another reason for buying R2D2 today).
So both pumps had to be removed. Drained the sump and was ready to go. Tight fit under the stand but Will was able to get the wrench in the sump and loosen the bulkheads. With the nuts off, the pumps came out very easy.

goodwin9

A change from the equipment issues...
I wasn't planning on taking picture of anything in the tank, but the camera was close by when the Black tang made a rare appearance and was out and about. Of course he kept behind all of the water streaks on the tank, so forgive the quality of the photos......

stdreb27

If you ever need another pump, I've got an Iwaki mx70 that puts out about that much flow. I ran it for an hour, but it was too much flow, and filled my tank with bubbles.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2672151
If you ever need another pump, I've got an Iwaki mx70 that puts out about that much flow. I ran it for an hour, but it was too much flow, and filled my tank with bubbles.
Thank you for the offer. Right now, I have some part coming to fix the one that quit and I just received two new Pan World 200PS which is the same as the Blueline 70.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2672240
I wonder if that black tang knows he is special?!?!

I wonder???? I do know that it is very shy, and heads into the cave any time anyone gets close to the tank. It's a shame, there really aren't that many black fish that I know of. People who look at the tank in person seem to notice the Achilles and Clown tangs first, part due to their size, and I think their coloration draws attention. Black isn't a very exciting color, (at least in salt fish), but I think that if the Black tang was out and about with all of the other tangs, it would be noticed. Right now, it is hard for people to get a good look at it in person when it ducks into the cave.

goodwin9

We took apart the assembly on the non working pump to find the bad news, not only was the impeller shot, but it was melted to the spindle of the housing.
[