Started a 56G FOWLR tank and could use some help with picking fish

silverado61

It gets even more dramatic, when not QTing fish, I have this little display set to show my DT

Runs off a Raspberry Pi and I use VLC to watch the stream above my computer screens at work. Made the wooden stand with my dad. In all, it's nice and relaxing during long phone calls. just a simple 4.3" screen. Only is 480p resolution though, but that's pretty nice on such a small screen.
LOL...I need to set something like that up for my elderly mom, whom I care for and lives with me...who likes to feed the dogs 5Xs a day. I now hide the food dishes.
be carfull. She might start using your dishes. Lol

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/120#post_3546578

LOL...I need to set something like that up for my elderly mom, whom I care for and lives with me...who likes to feed the dogs 5Xs a day. I now hide the food dishes.
If you want, I can help you out with it.

The webcam is fairly cheap, i use two different ones. The one I would recommend is around $40-$45 on Amazon. The Raspberry Pi is about $40, then the SD Card is <$10 and then I bought the video codec for the rPi which was another ~$5 and then the power supply for the screen and the screen are about $25-35.

If we add everything up, you have about $120-$130 worth of items. Maybe a little bit more if you want to do it really nicely. I got a small combination Wireless keyboard/mouse I keep on my desk. I spent around $180 on mine in total cause I wanted a USB cord with a switch on it and a case for the Raspberry Pi. It's really convenient. Only other modification I did was get a small wide angle lens meant for smartphones and attached it to my IP Cams so they can see more from a closer view point. That honestly made a huge difference as well.

Here are a few screenshots from my computer of the webcam views I've had :

^ Freshwater tank

^Quarantine Tank

Then the following are of my DT:

The quarantine tank and the Freshwater tank use the same camera, i just move it depending on needs. It's also a lower end model, which only does 240p instead of 480p. With the proper configuration though, they both work fine, but the Raspberry Pi doesnt like displaying the older model webcam because of codecs, so I may upgrade it to the newer model soon.

Feel free to PM me if you want some of the URLs to the items I ordered. I would happily help you through configuration, it has a little bit of a learning curve but well worth it.

flower

Hi,

I answered your PM... I think I will go with a baby cam, like I said...I'm right in the house with her, so I don't need anything fancy, she does stuff...to name a few
  • save food on an open plate in the fridge to dry out
  • putting cottage cheese in the freezer because she thought it was ice cream
    put sour cream on her bagel thinking it was cream cheese because it was white...
    and forgets she already fed the dogs.

She's an awesome lady and it's a pleasure to take care of her, I just need to keep a closer eye on her.

kenman345

Well, i guess that's the easier route to go. I still highly recommend monitoring your fish the same way I do if you are at work most of the day like I am. It's really useful in getting to see the fish and enjoy them in my tank since when i get home the timer on my light is already making it seem like night and some of my fish do not come out.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/140#post_3546581
If you want, I can help you out with it.

The webcam is fairly cheap, i use two different ones. The one I would recommend is around $40-$45 on Amazon. The Raspberry Pi is about $40, then the SD Card is <$10 and then I bought the video codec for the rPi which was another ~$5 and then the power supply for the screen and the screen are about $25-35.

If we add everything up, you have about $120-$130 worth of items. Maybe a little bit more if you want to do it really nicely. I got a small combination Wireless keyboard/mouse I keep on my desk. I spent around $180 on mine in total cause I wanted a USB cord with a switch on it and a case for the Raspberry Pi. It's really convenient. Only other modification I did was get a small wide angle lens meant for smartphones and attached it to my IP Cams so they can see more from a closer view point. That honestly made a huge difference as well.

Here are a few screenshots from my computer of the webcam views I've had :

^ Freshwater tank

^Quarantine Tank

Then the following are of my DT:

The quarantine tank and the Freshwater tank use the same camera, i just move it depending on needs. It's also a lower end model, which only does 240p instead of 480p. With the proper configuration though, they both work fine, but the Raspberry Pi doesnt like displaying the older model webcam because of codecs, so I may upgrade it to the newer model soon.

Feel free to PM me if you want some of the URLs to the items I ordered. I would happily help you through configuration, it has a little bit of a learning curve but well worth it.

tur4k

There are 8 pages of replies and I only read the first page and a half, but here are some of my favorite fish for smallish (under 90 gallons) tanks.

Midas Blenny:
A beautiful yellow snake-like fish. It has striking blue accents. I love love love these fish. My current one likes to sleep in the veggy clip that is suction cupped to the upper side wall of the tank. I used to have one that loved to lounge in my toad stool leather. They need to have some live rock to hide in. They also love to jump out of your tank or into your over flow. I recommend a cover of some kind if you are going to get one of these.

Flame Hawk:
It's red and black with bug eyes. Not the most beautiful fish in my opinion, but it's one of the most awesome. It swims from perch to perch in your tank. It just likes to hang out (perched) and watch. You don't see it swimming much, but every time you look at the tank, it's sitting in a different place. A super cool fish. The only down side is that they like to eat shrimp. Don't get one if you are fond of your peppermint's. I had one co-exist peacefully with a large cleaner shrimp for years, but small peppermints don't last in my tank.

Cleaner Wrasse:
It's a very nice looking blue snaky fish with a black stripe. It likes to pick parasites off of other fish. Mine would actually swim into the gills of my huge Vlamingi tang and make sure he was nice and clean. These are also jumpers. In fact I forgot to put my 1/4 clear polypropylene mesh cover back on after feeding a few days ago and he jumped to his death.

Pistol Shrimp/Goby pair:
This can be a tough one. For a few years I had a pistol shrimp that refused to pair with a goby. He was a very disagreeable little shrimp. He died and I eventually replaced him with a another pistol shrimp. I added a yellow watchman a few days later and they paired up almost immediately. They have been inseparable since. They make a very very cool team.

kenman345

So I did a few things this weekend to the tank, and awaiting other items.

Things I did:
  • Labeled all the outlets (except one) with what they have plugged into them (top and bottom of the outlet for maximum viewing abilities)
  • Continued tuning my Protein Skimmer (got a few mL's of skim in my container, which was quite black and thick, but nothing else yet)
  • Tested and figured out stand sensors
    • Ordered some glass window tint meant for Cars to use on my glass door.
    • Tested out door sensor locations for proper setup (and currently have one part attached with tape, but the stand light automatically turning on is so convenient)
    • Played around with a little bit of programming on the Reefkeeper system
    • Hooked up computer fan temporarily while I figure out mounting capabilities.
    • Replaced ethernet wires and installed Gigabit switch for my webcam and netbook to use, and eventually the NET module as well.
    • Looked into water leak sensor system.

Currently waiting on a few items still
      NET Module for Reefkeeper
      SW5 module for Reefkeeper
      Bus Hub for Reefkeeper
      Extra float switches and mounts for more configurations (ATO reservior is the next thing to get sensors installed.
      Planning two sensors, one will notify me that I am running low, the second will stop the ATO from running and also notify me.
    Rearrange modules for Reefkeeper for optimal setup (came up with an idea for a new arrangement that will work out better for me long term with the ability to logically add more modules)
    Deciding on getting a 4th PC4 module, but hoping that maybe I won't need it for a while( new outlet modules are soon to be coming out apparently)
    Might order some various length bus cables to reduce the clutter

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenman345 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/140#post_3546686
So I did a few things this weekend to the tank, and awaiting other items.

Things I did:

[*]Labeled all the outlets (except one) with what they have plugged into them (top and bottom of the outlet for maximum viewing abilities)
[*]Continued tuning my Protein Skimmer (got a few mL's of skim in my container, which was quite black and thick, but nothing else yet)
[*]Tested and figured out stand sensors
  • Ordered some glass window tint meant for Cars to use on my glass door.
  • Tested out door sensor locations for proper setup (and currently have one part attached with tape, but the stand light automatically turning on is so convenient)
  • Played around with a little bit of programming on the Reefkeeper system
  • Hooked up computer fan temporarily while I figure out mounting capabilities.
  • Replaced ethernet wires and installed Gigabit switch for my webcam and netbook to use, and eventually the NET module as well.
  • Looked into water leak sensor system.

Currently waiting on a few items still

• NET Module for Reefkeeper
      SW5 module for Reefkeeper
      Bus Hub for Reefkeeper
      Extra float switches and mounts for more configurations (ATO reservior is the next thing to get sensors installed.
      Planning two sensors, one will notify me that I am running low, the second will stop the ATO from running and also notify me.
    Rearrange modules for Reefkeeper for optimal setup (came up with an idea for a new arrangement that will work out better for me long term with the ability to logically add more modules)
    Deciding on getting a 4th PC4 module, but hoping that maybe I won't need it for a while( new outlet modules are soon to be coming out apparently)
    Might order some various length bus cables to reduce the clutter

Hi,

One more important thing to add to your "to do list" ... GFCI outlets are safer then regular outlets, since water and electricity don't mix
. if you can't hard wire GFCI, then there are temporary GFCI adaptors that can plug in right to the regular outlet. It could save your life, or your tank one day.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/140#post_3546742

Hi,

One more important thing to add to your "to do list" ... GFCI outlets are safer then regular outlets, since water and electricity don't mix. if you can't hard wire GFCI, then there are temporary GFCI adaptors that can plug in right to the regular outlet. It could save your life, or your tank one day.
Already on it, got the GFCI adapters hooked up, next tank I plan to install the actual outlet as one, but for now this will do.

GFCI adapters were added long time ago. Thanks for the concern. I am now more worries about back-up life support systems and cleaning up my wire organization for best access.

EDIT:
Seems my tank is overridden with various nuisances. I thought I saw aptasia (1 little one) on a piece of live rock I seeded my tank with. I am hoping it was just from being a hitchhiker from a recent hermit crab I added last week and that removing that piece of rubble rock instantly helps make that the only occurrence. I also have the diatom really long (which is why I got the hermit crabs that should eat that stuff, they cleared one of the two rock structures of it, but looks like i will need to remove the excess during the weekend when i do another water change and can make it smaller for them to eat.

I also seem to have some green hair algae type stuff, I think it may be chaetomorpha in early stages having gotten into my tank and sprouting like a little plant. I will also remove what I can during the next water change. I changed the food amount on my automatic feeder to reduce that excess food, since I feed them twice a day, once by feeder and once by hand as they do not all come out at the same time in my tank and I want to make sure my fish are properly feed. I also added more natural food into the feeder, to go hand in hand with the various pellets I have in the feeder container so the food they actually are being fed is much less nutrient dense.

silverado61

Chaeto doesn't anchor itself to anything. It grows in a clump and looks like green angel hair pasta. It just tumbles around in the tank with the currents. If what you have is hair algae chances are your feeding too much and/or have too much light.
Also, if you have aptasia, get rid of it. Its like crabgrass and will invade your whole tank. Just don't touch it. It will release spores and spread like crazy.
I had one but I got lucky and found it in an empty hermit shell (check out my profile and you'll see the photos). I took a small glass bowl and put it in the tank next to the shell then oh so very carefully and slowly placed the shell in the bowl with a pair of tweezers. Then SLOWLY lifted it out of it the tank.
Then I made the damned thing walk the green mile and nuked it in the microwave. A fitting execution I think.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/140#post_3546748
Chaeto doesn't anchor itself to anything. It grows in a clump and looks like green angel hair pasta. It just tumbles around in the tank with the currents. If what you have is hair algae chances are your feeding too much and/or have too much light.
Also, if you have aptasia, get rid of it. Its like crabgrass and will invade your whole tank. Just don't touch it. It will release spores and spread like crazy.
I had one but I got lucky and found it in an empty hermit shell (check out my profile and you'll see the photos). I took a small glass bowl and put it in the tank next to the shell then oh so very carefully and slowly placed the shell in the bowl with a pair of tweezers. Then SLOWLY lifted it out of it the tank.
Then I made the damned thing walk the green mile and nuked it in the microwave. A fitting execution I think.
Hm....I was not as cautious, though I did not touch the aptasia directly, i did not realize to remove it slowly, but i did get it right away (first time i noticed it, i had it removed within 3 minutes time.

I used my long plastic plant grabber to get rid of it, what should i do to make sure it's clean of any aptasia? or should it have died just from being out of water and completely dry now.

As I mentioned, I reduced the feeding amount, so hopefully that's what it needs to get under control.

EDIT:
I am running a Current USA Orbit Marine LED fixture with timer. The timer is highly integrated and a nuisance to program to have a reduced light period like it seems you are suggesting. I may look to replace it in the future though, but I shall definitely look into decreasing the intensity of it.

silverado61

If you disturbed it too much it might have released its spores. Keep a close eye out for them and if they show up, get a shrimp. Peppermint I did think eats them if they're small.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/140#post_3546752
If you disturbed it too much it might have released its spores. Keep a close eye out for them and if they show up, get a shrimp. Peppermint I did think eats them if they're small.
Hopefully I did not disturb it enough to have ill effects. I shall need to find an effective algae control team as after my Scarlet hermits ate half my diatom, they haven't moved on to the other half at all in the last few days.

I will take and post pictures later today and hope you guys can lend some advice on a new wave of clean up crew. Will a peppermint shrimp hurt my hermit crabs or my two firefish or cardinal?

kenman345

Found this on another forum that wasnt too informative about what it actually was. I believe i have the early stages of this stuff.

flower

Hi,

Without phosphates and nitrates, hair algae can't grow...if you are having issues with it, then you have a water quality problem. Water changes work, but once you have a problem, you have to do a small change once a day using RO water (RO/DI is even better) to get things under control in a hurry.

Peppermint shrimp eat aptasia, but if you over feed the tank (thus feeding the shrimp) they won't, because they are not hungry enough to search it out. They will take care of big ones too...the problem is that THEY disturb the aptasia, thus releasing spores so they have more aptasia to eat, becoming part of a cycle.

kenman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397624/started-a-56g-fowlr-tank-and-could-use-some-help-with-picking-fish/140#post_3546760
Hi,

Without phosphates and nitrates, hair algae can't grow...if you are having issues with it, then you have a water quality problem. Water changes work, but once you have a problem, you have to do a small change once a day using RO water (RO/DI is even better) to get things under control in a hurry.

Peppermint shrimp eat aptasia, but if you over feed the tank (thus feeding the shrimp) they won't, because they are not hungry enough to search it out. They will take care of big ones too...the problem is that THEY disturb the aptasia, thus releasing spores so they have more aptasia to eat, becoming part of a cycle.
Thanks for that information.

I shall have to review everything with my water parameters tonight.

I may start buying some premixed water from a local store while i combat this issue. Right now my RO unit is something that i always had in my house, and it's just not up to making the amounts of water a day I would need to conveniently get enough water for a water change and for water changes for my quarantine tank. I am using regular water with water conditioner for now. I will be able to make the switch at home once my weekly water usage has been drastically reduced to an amount the RO unit can handle. Also, I am not the one maintaining the RO unit, so the maintenance schedule may need to be increased at home on that unit once i start using it full time. Right now, I only use it for my Top off reservoirs and my Freshwater tank.