Starting a 10 gallon reef

rotarymagic

You could do a scooter or mandarin in there, but you'll need to use the old 10gallon as a breeding tank...
What I would do if I were you is the following if you really want one..
take the 10 gallon and fill it halfway with water... put it next to a window for a week so the water turns freakin green...
then put a sponge filter in there...
buy a culture of tigger pods and a culture of live or dead green phytoplankton.
basically you dump the tigger pods in there and then whenever the water lightens up... dump phytoplankton in there to give it a tint again.
you'll have to vacuum detritus periodically from the bottom and when doing so put a flash light on one side of the tank and draw the pods over there so you dont vacuum alot of them and then switch sides and vacuum the other side... doing weekly 20% water changes with the same light method. you also use the light to catch the pods in a brine shrimp net... gotta be REALLY careful not to overfeed them or else the ammonia and stuff will out do the sponge filter and crash them...
that's what you have to do in a nut shell and it'll take 2 weeks before the pods start booming upon setting it up... new pods are NOT going to be red unless you have access to that commercial diet with the pigments/beta carotine.
Alot of people recommend having two breeding tanks like two 5.5s just in case one crashes so you're not totally effed....

mckevinfang

i have a 10 gal and a 5gal? but it sounds like too much work and time plus cash is tight.

i just purchased some cheato from fcatch76 so i hope theres a bunch of pods in there
but once it comes in ill hammer down some LR and toss them both into the AC 20.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
http:///forum/post/2812455
i have a 10 gal and a 5gal? but it sounds like too much work and time plus cash is tight.

i just purchased some cheato from fcatch76 so i hope theres a bunch of pods in there
but once it comes in ill hammer down some LR and toss them both into the AC 20.
you're not grasping the concept of how much those fish eat... I'll use an analogy. Seahare in 20gallon tank... they are voracious algae eaters and starve to death REALLY quick. same goes for dragonets (scooter blennies and mandarins) with regard to pods.. they will deplete a pod population faster than it can reproduce and eventually exterminate a small one.
You could also do a remote fuge which may have decent results to a degree...
Get an overflow box run a bunch of well scaped tonga branch in the 10gallon, run a return pump... then dose phyto in there ALOT and maybe it'll work... if you can get an led under the tank towards the pump, but not directly by it... even better as it'll continually draw them towards it so they'll get sucked into the tank...another thing... which is ghetto, but may work. get some sort of plastic device with tons of holes in it and fill it with liverock rubble and squirt phyto in there... so its like a breeding ground that the dragonet can't actually get in and it should continuously produce pods out of it as long as phyto and other food get in the plastic cage.

nissan577

Originally Posted by Rotarymagic
http:///forum/post/2812465
you're not grasping the concept of how much those fish eat... I'll use an analogy. Seahare in 20gallon tank... they are voracious algae eaters and starve to death REALLY quick. same goes for dragonets (scooter blennies and mandarins) with regard to pods.. they will deplete a pod population faster than it can reproduce and eventually exterminate a small one.
You could also do a remote fuge which may have decent results to a degree...
Get an overflow box run a bunch of well scaped tonga branch in the 10gallon, run a return pump... then dose phyto in there ALOT and maybe it'll work... if you can get an led under the tank towards the pump, but not directly by it... even better as it'll continually draw them towards it so they'll get sucked into the tank...another thing... which is ghetto, but may work. get some sort of plastic device with tons of holes in it and fill it with liverock rubble and squirt phyto in there... so its like a breeding ground that the dragonet can't actually get in and it should continuously produce pods out of it as long as phyto and other food get in the plastic cage.
+1. it sounds like rotary knows what hes talking about.

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2812703
If you not going to be dedicated to the Scooter blenny, don't get it.
i already said i wasnt going to get it!!?

im just getting a yellow clown goby for now and a hectors goby later on

but if i did i would try what you said rotary.

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2812917
yay your getting the clown goby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when do you plan to get it?
i need to ask my LFS to order it probably tuesday or thursday
ill post pics later on nothing new though but ill post a few for you nissan

nissan577

thankyou. i post pics no matter if i got something new or not. i just like to show my friends. and they will let me know what do i need to do. thanks man!

rotarymagic

I'm a fan of citron gobies.. lol. They're bigger than green clown gobies and definitely ycg's and they got those bling bling neon accents on them. Also, they EAT!!! many ycg's starve to death.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2813173
lol. so i should get that one rotary?
I liked it the best... it was way cooler than my YCG that i took back to the store because it wasn't very cool LOL. The citron got picked on by my clowns for a day that quickly stopped because I guess that toxic mucus didnt taste really good to them hahahaha. the citrons really won't mess with anything either and surprisingly for a 3incher (yeah, mine was a biggun) didn't do anything to the bioload.