Starting a saltwater aquarium

geridoc

Hi guys...so the testing continues. I think Ive got it down to 0 ppm. For both ammonia and nitrate. Please tell me what you think and also how can I get the salinity down?
Add RODI to bring down the specific gravity How have you been replacing evaporation?

bang guy

Hi guys...so the testing continues. I think Ive got it down to 0 ppm. For both ammonia and nitrate. Please tell me what you think and also how can I get the salinity down?
Need to also know the temperature of your water before knowing what the salinity actually is.

bang guy

The temp of H20 right now is 75*F
Then a specific gravity of 1.026 @ 75F is a Salinity of about 36ppt. A bit on the high side but nothing to stress.

The reason your salinity is high is because you're not replacing evaporated water. If possible replace evaporated water daily. Don't go more than a couple days or the salinity will rise.

Then a specific gravity of 1.026 @ 75F is a Salinity of about 36ppt. A bit on the high side but nothing to stress.

The reason your salinity is high is because you're not replacing evaporated water. If possible replace evaporated water daily. Don't go more than a couple days or the salinity will rise.
Ohhhh ok! See I learn something everyday! I didn't know I had to do it everyday. Can I use bottled filtered water or does it have to be RODI water?

pegasus

Filtered water is better than de-chlorinated tap water, but distilled water would be better, and RO/DI water would be best. Water evaporates from the tank, but the salt doesn't. As more water evaporates, salinity goes up. The reason it's best to "top off" the tank with fresh water daily is so there are no big changes in salinity.

Filtered water is better than de-chlorinated tap water, but distilled water would be better, and RO/DI water would be best. Water evaporates from the tank, but the salt doesn't. As more water evaporates, salinity goes up. The reason it's best to "top off" the tank with fresh water daily is so there are no big changes in salinity.
Can I buy RO/DI water bottled?

lmforbis

I have never seen it bottled. I used to buy RO water at the walmart filling station for 37 cents a gallon. Not as good as RODI but many times better than tap.

Ok thanks so much for all the information! There's so much to learn & I'm enjoying doing this! Excited & can't wait to get my aquarium where it needs to be so I can get some fishes in!

Hi guys...can you please tell me what types of fish will be ok with clown fishes? I plan on starting off with 2 clown fishes.

jay0705

Anything that won't eat them lol. Honestly pretty much anything can go w clowns but large predatory fish. Also once established, no other clowns

streamer

add the rock now, no one has asked, are you using ro water or tap water...if you want to add lr just buy a small piece, it will seed the dry rock..far cheaper..there is a good saying;
fast + frantic = failure, slow + steady = success
good luck with the tank, it is will be well worth the wait..

Hi...my tank has been cycling now almost 2 months. I started with live sand, dry rocks, and ghost fed the tank. I tested everyday to check the ammonia and nitrate levels which is now both at 0. My salinity is also at a good level. Can I now put a fish in the tank? Is there anything else I have to do before I do put fishes in?

streamer

congratulations on the tank.. Have or do you know what fish you are going to be purchasing..that sometimes determines who should go first and last..my only advise is quarantine EVERYTHING and go slow adding livestock, you don't want to crash your tank and all of your hard work is down the drain...

congratulations on the tank.. Have or do you know what fish you are going to be purchasing..that sometimes determines who should go first and last..my only advise is quarantine EVERYTHING and go slow adding livestock, you don't want to crash your tank and all of your hard work is down the drain...
I would like to start off with a clown fish and also wanted to get a star fish but don't know if i can do both.

streamer

good choice, have you thought of a pair, they are tough little fish. I would hold off on the star fish until the tank is a bit more mature, they can be very sensitive but definitely clown fish...