stingray egg

S

shark bait

I have done some research on the egg. I have looked at other picks and while it looks like some of the shark eggs I have found, I can't belive It could be a ray( only because I have never seen one in the trade). But while I thought it was a shark egg b4 it has a very close resemblance to this:
Name: Bluespotted Stingray (Taeniura lymma)
Family: Dasyatidae
Range: Indo-Pacific, Australia
Size: Up to 1 foot disc
Diet: Carnivore
Tank Set-up: Marine: Sand, plants
Reef Compatible: No
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
Minimum Tank Capacity: 220 gallon
Light: Medium
Temperament: Aggressive
Venomous: Yes
Swimming Level: Bottom
Care Level: Experts only
Reproduction: Egg Layer

jakob

thank you for your research i appreciate it alot.
i did alot too but did not find anything that helped. so is that what it is, thats awsome!!!

psusocr1

sharkbait,
how did you come to that conclusion? murmades purses all look exactly the same, not only that but like said above they usually come from skates.
this is DEFINANTLY not a blue dot stingray purse as they do absolutly bear live young , yes they have purses but they stay inside the mother.. heres a passage for you
Blue spot stingrays are ovoviviparous. This means they give birth to live pups or baby rays after the young develop inside egg cases inside the uterus. Egg cases are thin, leathery cases that protect each developing pup. Each developing egg is enclosed within an individual egg case. A developing pup feeds off its egg's yolk. The pups remain inside the egg cases until fully developed and then hatch out while still inside the mother's uterus. Soon after, the mother gives birth to the pups. -Shedd Aquarium

S

shark bait

Well I got this off a very respected site that is highly looked at as the main source for info in the industry. I know some give live birth, but I tlooks much like the above. And for him I hope i'm right because the other options would be HUGE and in my prior post I think he should still bring it back as he has no CLUE what he got. And that is no way to buy fish. If you may give some research to why you think other wise we may be able to come to a final anwser as to what in the world this is. I have sent off a pic to my buddy at sea world SD and he said the reproduction form is Ovoviviparity. And from what he said I now have no clue.
Reply-To : twaWorld@swc.com
Sent : Friday, February 23, 2007 6:00 PM
John, that I cannot be sure of what may lie in side of that egg case. But I can tell you that most of the rays from the Urolophidae and Dasytidae give birth thought a method called Ovoviviparous. It is not uncommon for the egg to discharge prior to birth. However, in this particular ray you are looking at the Bluespotted sting ray often gives live birth. It would be unlikely that it is an egg from this family, But I have seen stranger things is the Fish shops around town. I would like to know what is in the egg as you have me quite curious. How was your dive with the Scripps team last week? Talk to you soon
Ted
Ovoviviparous animals develop within eggs that remain within the mother's body up until they hatch or are about to hatch. This strategy of birth is known as ovoviviparity. It is similar to vivipary in that the embryo develops within the mother's body. Unlike the embryos of viviparous species, ovoviviparous embryos are nourished by the egg yolk rather than by the mother's body. However, the mother's body also provides for gas exchange.
Ovoviviparity is employed by many fish (including some sharks), reptiles, and invertebrates. The young of ovoviviparous amphibians are sometimes born as larvae, and undergo metamorphosis outside the body of the mother

jakob

nope nothing yet but i am getting very very excited.
all my friends at school ask if it has hatched yet too. ill try to get some pics. of it with a light under it (with out taking it out of the water). or do yall want it to be a more of a surprise?

bill109

Originally Posted by psusocr1
i just want to see the look on your face in three months.. that will be better yet!
lol
watch it be a mermaid or a giant sea monkey

dcoyle11

i live on the east coast and for whats its worth those "eggs" wash up on the shore all the time and ever since i was a kid i was told that they were sting ray eggs?

saltn00b

east coast, 9x out of ten they are skate eggs. Skate's look very much like stringrays and are often mistaken for them, however they are very closely related to sharks, not as much , the rays.

tinysmajick

I am curious to know what the problem would be in hatching the animal out and keeping it for a while until it got too big? And then, possiably selling it back to the lfs.
There is the possibility of a profit and just the experience would be quite rewarding.
Several people have stated that he/she should take it back to the LFS.
Do you honestly think that the lfs will give it the same amount of care and supervision that the current owner will?
I doubt it. They have other things to worry about, such as stocking, customers, etc.

saltn00b

most LFS wont simply buy it from you. any around here will however offer 'safe refuge' if you want to donate it to their show tank....