stumped

V

vince-1961

The rock looks SO bare ... kind of like mine!
I was in an LFS in Jacksonville, Florida today. Picked up two pieces (8 lb @ $8/lb - ouch!) of LR just because it had blue coralline on it and that's only because the LFS in my town, the one that went out of business two days ago, wouldn't sell what he had. Everytime I asked "how much $ for that?", the answer was "not for sale." Even when he was closing up shop, he wouldn't sell....was taking the good stuff home with him.
No wonder dingbat went out of business!

mr_x

vince, the trouble with coralline covered rock is that most of it will die off anyway. this rock was covered with color when it came out of the box. the visible coralline died off, but the beauty of it all is, it will grow back as well. in about 6 months this tank will be very colorful. wait and see.
the reason i say this is that i was guilty of the same thing. i would buy rock simply because of the colors on it. now i buy rock because of the shapes and porous-ness.
don't get caught up wit colors....they come and go on the rock.

dustyboy316

wow thats amazing.
Seriously good for the gym owner for letting you do it. You can tell he wants it done right, he just dosen't know anything about it.
Amazing job so far, but it's expected after seeing your tank. It's one of the best I've seen.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2821873
apparently the ASM G3 skimmer that alot of people on this forum aren't fond of is doing a decent job of collecting nasties.

That is funny, a lot of people locally swear by that skimmer...

mr_x

thank you.
as for an update-
the tank was fed 3 x a day by the gym owner, the old guy who opens, and i.
cyanobacteria was all over it like a 1/4" thick red blanket. it got ugly fast. i did 27 gallon waterchanges on the tank 2 x a week for a few weeks but i couldn't keep up with the massive amount of nutrients. against my own advice, i ended up blasting the tank with chemiclean.
it killed off the cyano. it turned it yellow and and then into some crusty looking stuff that the crabs are eating.
no adverse reactions have been noticed.
now i've hid the food.

C

cristiangarcia

Hey X, How long have you had your tank for? Those pics were sweet!!!! Just curious how long it would take for a tank to look like that!!?? Later dude-

mr_x

my tank is a little over a year old. some of the larger colonies are from my old 125 though.

mr_x

the tank looks good. i have to get over there and take some pics. actually, the rock is being covered with some very hard, very short, green algae now. i have to get some red corals in there to offset it.
the water is pretty clear, and everything seems to be doing ok.
i spotted a black snail that resembled a whelk chewing on a crab molting. a hitcher from the live rock for sure. i'll try to get a pic of him as well.

culp

get to hear things are still going good for that tank. what ever happened to the pipe fish that the owner had? did it die or did you give or sell it to some one?

culp

that's to bad. i was hoping that you could have found a new home for it before it would have starved to death.

mr_x

ok. the tank is doing pretty well. i hope i've captured an idea of what's going on.
the chemiclean wiped out the cyano, without any visible
, adverse effects, and waterchanges has kept it from coming back.
now a green algae has developed. it's a very short, hard algae covering the rock, and the glass. it doesn't come off with the mag float. it must be scraped off the glass with a blade.
i've enclosed a couple pics-
back of tank-

sump-

green algae-

shot of front-