SWF boards just not the same!

bang guy

Not all annoying posts are in violation of the user agreement so moderating becomes very subjective. I tend to lean toward a very light hand when posts are not insulting nor harassing. If I receive a LOT of complaints about a specific member then I typically will strike up a conversation to attempt to determine if it's a legitimate harassment case. I have only experienced that scenario twice in eight years. So, instead of complaining about the lack of moderation, just email me and I'll look into it deeper. This is your site for information, you are also partly responsible for keeping it an enjoyable experience for all.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/381545/swf-boards-just-not-the-same#post_3329723
As I have stated before, most forums ask for the users to use proper english. Most forums, this one included, have members from all over and english may not be their primary language so the chances of them understanding chat/text speak is greatly diminished. It's not like there is a teacher grading the posts, perfect isn't neccessary, but capitalizing at the beginning of a sentence, punctuation, and using full words and sentences help people to understand the thoughts you are trying to convey. We do have members from other countries who post here, it is simply not fair that although english isn't their primary language, they try so that they can gain knowledge, which is why we are all here in the first place, not to babysit. I have a soft spot for kids, especially needy ones, which Burrito seems to be, but this has gotten ridiculous.
What is beyond irritating to me is when a new member or an old member for that point, who use chat/text speak if that is even what it is, no punctuation, few full words, tons of little icons, and has diarreah of the fingers and starts 20 threads, none of them understandable, makes sarcastic comments as to why no one is answering, opens several old threads on the same subject asking something, then starts pouncing on every new thread on the same subject with more and openly and defiantly object to being asked to make their posts more understandable.
In my opinion that person, once the pattern presented itself, should have been given a stern warning to clean it up or offer an explanation as to why they choose to post that way. How can people make corrections if the problem is not pointed out? What seems as crappy coming from the members and prompts verbal sparring back and forth in many cases, could be quietly handled and come from a place of authority that hopefully would make the person think twice.
A lax board is not always a happy board. Rules should be in place and enforced to protect the current members from those annoyances.
I personally don't feel I should have to weed through 20 posts, when there are only 25 updated in a day and find that "meh 0o, fishys" crap in every one. I know that I can't be the only one feeling this way.
I by no means think banning is the answer in the case of someone not a true troll unless they are openly and agressively disrespectful of other members or fail to follow forum protocol after several documented warnings. Correction is the answer and we can't expect people to be respectful in all cases, especially in the case of kids and teens, if there isn't any guideline or action taken.
And this goes for older members as well. I strongly feel that the little vigalante action would stop if things were addressed instead of running on so long that frustrations spill over. To be told that the ignore button should be used in some of these cases is insulting to me, who has remained a loyal member/customer to SWF. Ignore is not a replacement for moderation. These things are legitimate concerns not a personality conflict.
Right now it seems a little like the lunatics are running the assylum.
I could not have said it better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/381545/swf-boards-just-not-the-same/20#post_3329756
Not all annoying posts are in violation of the user agreement so moderating becomes very subjective. I tend to lean toward a very light hand when posts are not insulting nor harassing. If I receive a LOT of complaints about a specific member then I typically will strike up a conversation to attempt to determine if it's a legitimate harassment case. I have only experienced that scenario twice in eight years. So, instead of complaining about the lack of moderation, just email me and I'll look into it deeper. This is your site for information, you are also partly responsible for keeping it an enjoyable experience for all.
Although they are not verbally harassing us persay, you have A LOT of people complaining about the annoyance of this.Yes, we are all guilty of annoying posts, but repetitive posts of no quality used to merely annoy members should be addressed. YOU, should not be the only moderator to ever show their face anymore. Honestly, some of us feel bad constantly PM'ing just you.
PM'ing SWF is also useless, because they come on once in a blue moon.

S

smartorl

I just went looking for the forum rules and guidelines and can't find them. Can someone direct me that way? For some of us who signed up years ago, the user agreement that we agreed to is long forgotten.

S

smartorl

Here are the rules to a forum which was tied to a company that was bought out and this forum was discontinued so there are no copyright infringements, etc. I saved this as a guide for a "mini forum" on my company website for Q&A. This was agreed to at the time of registration in addition to being a sticky on the forum. Under the current SWF rules, there is alot of subjective content. I stand that people like a well run board and that requires enforceable rules.
Bang Guy, I am not being critical of you or Beth and I have flagged diligently. I have not pm'd because I know others are and know that there are only the two of you.
"While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
You agree not to post information received in private emails on the forums unless permission is given by the sender of the email. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this forum. The contents of this forum are copyrighted. Reproduction of any comments or discussions outside of this site requires the written consent of the author of those comments.
Please be courteous and considerate in your public posts and use good internet etiquette when posting. Members who misuse the forums may be removed or have their posting privileges temporarily suspended. This includes, but is not limited to avoiding the following
: flooding the board with new posts, starting multiple topics inappropriately; writing posts in all caps (considered "shouting"); starting a new topic vs. replying to a thread where appropriate (keep all relevant posts in the original thread -- multiple threads on the same topic confuse members); joining the board for the purpose of selling items or services. You show consideration for the members of the board by creating readable posts when you use standard capitalization and punctuation. Should you have any questions, check out The Internet Writing Guide.
This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the information you have entered above, they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure. The email address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one).
By clicking Register below you agree to be bound by these conditions."

bang guy

I don't get the "flagged" posts
Perhaps they are only shown to Admin or maybe I just don't know how to find them.
Feel free to PM, I have no objection to that.