Swimming in my new Shark Tank!!

novice150

Rane: Check out my post on --. I also posted a bit about it here in the DIY section. I'd be happy to go over it again, but I don't want to bore anyone with a 1000 word essay:) LOL
Thanks again to everyone who has posted nice things about my tank. Make's me happy.:D I will keep posting pics as I go.
That fish is definitely not reef safe. It's a very troublesome species known as Beerdrinkious Fishheadious. It is known to eat inverts, other fish and has been known to pick at corals.:D

novice150

I already have a 9" leopard, 9" gray smooth hound, and a 7" bamboo. I plan to add a 15"-18" black tip as well. The tank wont hold all of them for life, but it gives me time to build another:)

broomer5

NOVICE,
Checked out your pics on your site.
One word comes to mind ...... SUPERB !!!!
You should be very proud of such an accomplishment ;)

novice150

Broomer: Thank you. To tell the truth, I had been a little nervous for you to reply. I've read most of your post over the past year or two, and I'm always impressed. You really seem to know your stuff, so a compliment from you on my tank means alot.
Rane: I should have the sharks in the tank in about a month, maybe more depending on cycle.
I picked up a used holding tank from LFS last night. Its an acrylic 170 gal, with dividers already in it. Should work great as a sump.
Paid $125 for 3 of them, he wouldn't sell the separately. So if anyone wants one, let me know.
Going to buy salt today!! $450 OUCH!!
Anyone have any idea's on where/how to get a large amount of suitable substrate? I don't want to buy if by the 30lb bag from LFS, that will cost a fortune$$$$$$.

rane

Check with home depot or lowes for the bottom and then just buy a few bags of "Live" sand and put on top of the home depot one i think it should make the other sand live in time
Rane2001

novice150

I thought about using Southdown (if I can find it) but I have heard that its nearly impossible to ever get all of the dust out of it. I read on another site that even if its washed well before use, any time a shark or other fish stirs it, it will cloud up the tank. Any feedback?

hnf2k

everyone says it's good to use. from my own personal experience i wish i bought all live sand instead. the stuff is a mess. it stayed cloudy for like a week. when i put 3 groupers in they made a mess of my tank. it is starting clear up a lot quicker when i do make a mess of it though. i have had to clean my prefilters like 3-4 times already. and there is still sand in the overflow that will get caught in the prefilters. i had to clean the foam part of the trickle filter in my wet/dry filter twice already. the stuff is a disaster so far. i was told as bacteria bonds to it it will start to not make a mess, which it has been doing. i did cloud up my tank rearranging the rock, and it was fine in the morning. my tank is up for like a month, probably a little longer. i have a 180 gallon tank so for me it would mean a few hundred more dollars. which if i could go back i would've spent it. for you it will cost a few thousand more. i'm no expert on anything. i keep messing up my tank and i dont know what i want to do. i'm extremely new. but if there is one thing i regret, it is buying southdown.

novice150

HFN2K: Thanks for the insight. You're the 5th person who has told me this same thing. It sounds too me like its not worth the money saved. I'll have to keep looking.

bbronco

I picked up a used holding tank from LFS last night. Its an acrylic 170 gal, with dividers already in it. Should work great as a sump.
Paid $125 for 3 of them, he wouldn't sell the separately. So if anyone wants one, let me know.
what is a holding tank? hell i will buy one just so i can come down there and check out your new pool. nice job!!!
Byron

novice150

Actually I took it back. It had a small leak, and I didn't feel like repairing it. I bought a 180 gal Rubbermaid horse trough instead for 95.
He does still have all three if your interested. They are all 8 foot long, acrylic display tanks. Ranging from 80 gal to 170. They are the tanks you see in your lfs that have dividers to separate the different species.

R

rogeta

BBronco,
The fish you are calling pirannas...are they really parannas? Just curious...they look like red bellied Pacu (which are related to pirrana correct?) too me...but i am by far not even close to an expert..lol either way they look good later
NOVINCE....awesome tank...someday i will build me one...lol emphasise on someday...
~Rocco~

bbronco

the Octopus just died he got stuck in the filter and it messed up all but 2 of his legs. he was not in there very long and i thought i had him saved, i was hand feeding him and looked ok (other than his legs ) but he did not make it. he was all by him self.
the pirannas are real!!! i raised them both from babys they will eat any thing but convicts. unless i don't feed them for a while then they will eat them. they must tast bad bc none of my other fish will eat them not even the grouper.
can you tell me the name of the lfs so i can give them a call about the tanks?
Byron

grouperhead

Novice, sorry I havn't chimed in on this yet, I've been very busy and quite sick as of late. Your tank looks great. You should be very proud of it.
they must tast bad bc none of my other fish will eat them not even the grouper
Why may I ask would you even try this? Bo

watcher

convict cichlids, are an easy to breed freshwater fish, they literally have hundreds of young every month, and unlike guppies, they dont eat their young they protect them, making them great feeder fish
I know that its unhealthy to feed fw feeders to salt, but as i keep these guys myself, i do know alot about them, i dont feed them to my saltwater fish...... just passing on the info