Syria... To bomb or not to bomb, that is the question.

darthtang aw

For ten years the statement has been, Saadaam didnt have WMD's. Could the call for this action against Assad have a hidden agenda...one from the previous administration that went unfinished since "weapons" were never "found"? Is this why our President is making a case for this so hard?
You read and decide.
How Did Syria Get Chemical Weapons? Did They Come From Our Old Friend Saddam?
John Giokaris
How Did Syria Get Chemical Weapons? Did They Come From Our Old Friend Saddam?
As Congress holds hearings to determine whether or not it will vote to authorize President Barack Obama to use military force in the Syrian civil war, it's hard not to think of the Bush administration's arguments for military intervention in Iraq 10 years ago.
The justification at that time was to disarm then-dictator Saddam Hussein and his Ba’athist regime of alleged weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) — namely chemical and biological weapons. Of course, long after military operations began and continued into the next decade, those weapons were never found.
However, even back then, there were accusations from several sources that Hussein had smuggled his WMDs over the border into Syria long before coalition forces began the Iraqi invasion. Today, there is now video evidence of chemical and biological weapons having been used in Syria to kill countless victims. While the blame game rages on as to who actually used said weapons, Assad forces or rebel fighters, many seem to have forgotten to ask a very important question: Where did these chemical weapons come from?
Was the Bush administration right all along? Could these indeed be the very same WMDs that intelligence agencies from around the world claimed were in Hussein’s possession which he then transferred over to Syria?
The earliest account of Hussein having hidden his WMDs in Syria came in January of 2004. Nizar Nayouf, an award-winning Syrian journalist who was granted political asylum in France, said in a letter to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf not only that he knew Iraq’s WMDs were being hidden inside Syria, but that he could pinpoint precisely where they were being kept. According to Nayouf’s witness, described as a senior source inside Syrian military intelligence he had known for two years, Iraq’s WMDs were in tunnels dug under the town of al-Baida near the city of Hama in northern Syria, in the village of Tal Snan, north of the town of Salamija, and in the city of Sjinsjar on the Syrian border with the Lebanon, south of the city of Homs. Nayouf claimed that the transfer of Iraqi WMDs to Syria was organized by the commanders of Hussein’s Iraqi Republican Guard with the help of General Dhu al-Himma Shalish and Assef Shawkat, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s cousin and brother-in-law, respectively.
We know for a fact that Shalish had a working relationship with Hussein long before the war in Iraq. The Syrian government awarded Shalish and his company, SES International Corporation, exclusive rights on contracts to supply the Iraqi market with goods from construction materials to detergent. According to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Shalish and SES helped the former Ba’athist regime access weapons systems by issuing false end-user certificates to foreign suppliers that listed Syria as the final country of destination. SES International then transshipped the goods to Iraq, and Shalish was subsequently sanctioned by the U.S. for procuring defense-related goods for Hussein in violation of sanctions against Iraq.
When two sources from the Iraq Survey Group (ISG) — a 1,400-member team organized by the Pentagon and CIA — spoke with the Washington Times in August 2004, they reported that Hussein periodically removed guards on the Syrian border and replaced them with his own intelligence agents who supervised the movement of banned materials between the two countries. The shift was followed by the movement of trucks in and out of Syria suspected of carrying materials banned by UN sanctions. Once the shipments were made, the agents would leave and the regular border guards would resume their posts.
A similar claim was made by Lieutenant General Moshe Ya’alon in December of 2005, a former Israeli military officer who served as chief of staff of the Israel Defense Forces from July 2002 to June 2005. “(Hussein) transferred the chemical agents from Iraq to Syria” six weeks before Operation Iraqi Freedom started, according to Ya’alon. “No one went to Syria to find it.”
Just a month later in January 2006, the Iraqi general who served as the No. 2 official in Hussein’s air force, Georges Sada, claimed Iraq moved WMDs into Syria before the war by loading the weapons into two civilian aircrafts in which the passenger seats were removed, as well as in multiple ground convoys of trucks.
“There are weapons of mass destruction gone out from Iraq to Syria, and they must be found and returned to safe hands,” Sada stated. “I am confident they were taken over [to Syria].”
Sada said he even knew the two pilots who transported the material: “I know them very well. They are very good friends of mine.” He claimed that the pilots told him Special Republican Guard brigades loaded materials onto the planes, including “yellow barrels with skull and crossbones on each barrel.” The flights, 56 in total, attracted little notice because they were thought to be civilian flights providing relief from Iraq to Syria, which had suffered a flood after a dam collapse in June of 2002.
“Saddam realized, this time, the Americans are coming,” Sada said. “They handed over the weapons of mass destruction to the Syrians.” He claimed that the Iraqi official responsible for transferring the weapons was a cousin of Hussein named Ali Hussein al-Majid, known as “Chemical Ali.”
One month after that in February of 2006, Ali Ibrahim al-Tikriti, a former Iraqi general and “personal friend” of Hussein’s who defected shortly before the Gulf War of 1991, also claimed as much in an interview: “I know Saddam’s weapons are in Syria due to certain military deals that were made going as far back as the late 1980s that dealt with the event that either capitals were threatened with being overrun by an enemy nation.
“At this point Saddam knew that the United States were eventually going to come for his weapons and the United States wasn’t going to just let this go like they did in the original Gulf War,” al-Tikriti said. “He knew that he had lied for this many years and wanted to maintain legitimacy with the pan-Arab nationalists. He also has wanted since he took power to embarrass the West and this was the perfect opportunity to do so. After Saddam denied he had such weapons why would he use them or leave them readily available to be found?”
Finally, current Director of National Intelligence (DNI) James Clapper, who formerly headed the U.S. agency that processes and analyzes satellite imagery (the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency), claimed in an interview with the New York Times in October of 2003 that “satellite imagery showing a heavy flow of traffic from Iraq into Syria just before the American invasion in March” led him to believe that illegal weapons material had “unquestionably” been moved out of Iraq.
“I think personally that those below the senior leadership saw what was coming, and I think they went to some extraordinary lengths to dispose of the evidence,” said Clapper. “I’ll call it an ‘educated hunch.’ Based on what we saw prior to the onset of hostilities, we certainly felt there were indications of WMD activity. … There is no question that there was a lot of traffic, increase in traffic up to the immediate onset of combat and certainly during Iraqi Freedom.”
It’s not like Hussein didn’t have any time to carry out such a large transfer. To the contrary, the Bush administration had been trying to make a case for military intervention in Iraq almost a year before the invasion finally occurred in March 2003.
Truthfully, we’ll probably never know where these chemical weapons now being used in the Syrian civil war originated from. I also concede that all we have to go on are second-hand eye witness accounts and sources as well as a lot of hearsay and conjecture for which no amount of intelligence gathering from 10 years ago can now prove beyond a shadow of a doubt. Still, I thought it was worth re-exploring. And I’d very much still like to know indeed where these weapons came from.

2quills

Wouldn't suprise me. They just had some defected official in an interview last week talking about saddam's weapons. Claiming that they held on to about 60 rockets capable of reaching Iran after the first gulf war but then were ordered to get rid of or remove them before the inspectors came first came in. By the time we invaded a second time that stuff was long gone. You figure they'd have had to go somewhere. Wish I had caught the whole interview.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/396245/syria-to-bomb-or-not-to-bomb-that-is-the-question/20#post_3530481
http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affairs/middle-east-north-africa/320495-obama-cancels-trip-to-la-as-no-votes-on-syria-pile-up
So he will cancel trips to go to war but continues on vacations and trips when it is domestic issues being stonewalled in congress or needing support?
Am I the only one that sees his priorities screwed up?

Hey, the President has been working hard day & night to get more jobs for Americans. It's not his fault he's in over his head, he is the one who the American public wanted in office.

I honestly think that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. It seems logical to me that they were snuck into Syria. If you remember during that time, the UN kept telling Iraq that they were going to send inspectors in on certain dates (well in advanced) to look for weapons. That's like working at a job, and they do random drug screening. But then 6 months before you are going to be tested they say, "now ok, on this date we are going to give you your drug test." So of course we didn't find any in Iraq. But I do believe the intelligence was there, but it just got spun into a big political issue.

And I do remember when Condi Rice was making the case for WOMD, her showing images of them being transported in semi trucks. They had actually pinpointed one of those trucks. It was so many years ago that I don't remember the trucks destination. But I can still remember the data she was presenting. I believe it was a hearing before Congress.

reefraff

I remember at the time nobody could explain how Iraq could have disposed of the weapons they had without there being some evidence of it. I always thought it was odd the Bush administration let that idea drop a little too easy. Perhaps they decided it was better to let them stay in Syria that starting another war to go after them???

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Bottom line. Not convinced that Assad used the chems. It could have been the opposition and there is no proof to the contrary. Why would he do it at this point, knowing what the ramifications could be?? Hoping Congress exercises a margin of good judgement this time round.

2quills

If we bomb everyone in the middle east then they will have no choice but to submit to the Obama Care Global plan. Comes in two choices...screwed or extra screwed (with cheese).

stdreb27

This whole thing is a sham. We have John Kerry running around arguing to attack a country that's done nothing to us.

We have a president who made his name besmirching a president who went to war.

You have the Obama red line, who didn't draw a red line...

It's a joke, I'm not going to support this incoherent delusional commander in chief and his desire to kill a few arabs.

reefraff

I am beginning to think this is more about 0bama's ego than anything. There should be no strike unless there is another gas attack

darthtang aw

I am beginning to think this is more about 0bama's ego than anything. There should be no strike unless there is another gas attack
I disagree. I do not think this has anything to do with ego. There is some agenda here. There has not been one single piece of legislation or issue that has caught the presidents attention enough to cancel fundraising/vacation trips before.
I believe ther is i tel that is not being given. Possibly something more disconcerting than this gassing. I dont even think he worked this hard on obamacare. He had the votes for that. This is not an ego thing. It is something more. The democrats wouldn't risk losing congress for this if it was 't. And based off the mood of the population this could do it if we go to war in syria.

reefraff

I dunno man. Not sure what could be worse than gassing your own people. Right now he's losing the hard left. None of this adds up. This is getting deep in the weeds of politics which is his strong suit but he's making all the wrong moves. Him claiming not to have set a red line was laughable if not down right embarrassing. I am beginning to wonder if the pressure has gotten to him.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/396245/syria-to-bomb-or-not-to-bomb-that-is-the-question/40#post_3530512
I disagree. I do not think this has anything to do with ego. There is some agenda here. There has not been one single piece of legislation or issue that has caught the presidents attention enough to cancel fundraising/vacation trips before.
I believe ther is i tel that is not being given. Possibly something more disconcerting than this gassing. I dont even think he worked this hard on obamacare. He had the votes for that. This is not an ego thing. It is something more. The democrats wouldn't risk losing congress for this if it was 't. And based off the mood of the population this could do it if we go to war in syria.
If so, then he needs to speak up about what's up. America is sick to death of war and wasting money on war-mongering. I do think its ego now that he is the one that crossed the red line by saying we would strike before putting it to Congress. If it was all that urgent or a threat, then he could have exercised his constitutional right to act on an immediate threat.

darthtang aw

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/05/iran-threatens-brutal-attacks-on-americans-obama-family-if-us-hits-syria/
After reading that I am tempted to say bombing syria is the right thing to do........................

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That guy sounds like he's ready for a straight jacket. If we just deal directly with Iran, then all the war dancing around Iran would not be necessary.