System shot!

S

siptang

flower, you missed it.
guy who gave him the water used hydrogen peroxide to clean his filters instead of replacing it... now everything, even his liverock has been scrubbed clean by peroxide.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/395505/system-shot#post_3521537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers
http:///t/395505/system-shot#post_3521335
I just thought of something, actually, my wife did. If I killed off alot of my bacteria in the system, I might be cycling all over again. I better onitor the aamonia in the system. Any thoughts on this?
Hi,
What a sad thing to have happen. I agree with your wife, you over cleaned your tank. I started to say that exact same thing when I first read your post, but got distracted. You disrupted the balance when you vacuumed the sand, cleaned the rocks, and changed all the media at once. I know we all love a clean looking tank, but as you have found out, it really isn't good to do everything all at once.
0.25 however is not enough to kill a tank...That low of an ammonia reading isn't much more then a warning sign. So possibly you did stir something up in the sand that was under the rock undisturbed until you moved the rock to clean and rinse it.
Hi Flower, I'm glad you chimed in on the thread. always nice to hear from you. Lol..... I really didn't clean my tank this time other than brushing the rocks and vacuuming a few patches of sand. The water I got from this place was some bad water. I didn't add anything. The lab tech said it appeared to be peroxide. After youtubing it, it looked just like a peroxide over dose. Water was very cloudy and after a few hours it stunk really bad. So...... I wasn't 100% my fault. Hahahaa
Altho, you may be right, I have not ddone a water change for three months and in not doing so led me to this point. Heck, with me anything is possible.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/395505/system-shot/20#post_3521541
Hi Flower, I'm glad you chimed in on the thread. always nice to hear from you. Lol..... I really didn't clean my tank this time other than brushing the rocks and vacuuming a few patches of sand. The water I got from this place was some bad water. I didn't add anything. The lab tech said it appeared to be peroxide. After youtubing it, it looked just like a peroxide over dose. Water was very cloudy and after a few hours it stunk really bad. So...... I wasn't 100% my fault. Hahahaa
Altho, you may be right, I have not ddone a water change for three months and in not doing so led me to this point. Heck, with me anything is possible.
Give me an update...Did you lose all your livestock, and corals, or what were you able to save? Also, is the rock, sand, and such okay to continue using it, or do you have to replace it? Are you going to sue the LFS for the loss resulting from the contaminated water?

S

siptang

Here you go flower.
Quote:
Next morning, my Royal Gramma was dead, Multi colored Angel looked as if she had been scalped and one eye was getting ready to fall out, eventually did, and ALL my corals had this thick slime coat covering them. the sun coral were all about dead already, all but a small few. The leather was all winkled up and pissed to all hell, the Xenia gone, which I was not heart broken over that. Monti's dead, and my prized piece, the Aussie elegance looked dead as well. My Scolley looks like a porcupine with half of the tissue gone. Oh man this just pisses me off typing this Lol....
I quickly move my elegance, leather and sun corals to the coral QT. The scolley followed suite shortly after. My tree and neon candy canes which act as if nothing happen at all are still in the 56. The tank stunk of rot so I thought I had better hit another water change and quickly.
looks like he took a heavy hit..
some of the corals are making a come back it seems.
Fingers still crossed buddy.

kiefers

just got home from biolife. Thanks sip for covering that for me. The corals still look stressed but some of the tissue is coloring up again. The Elegance looks, well, Elegant.

flower

OMG...I would be in tears. I'm so happy to hear you did have some that are pulling through. The folks who sold you the bad water needs to replace all of your loss, or pay to replace them. Small claims court would be my next stop if they won't. That paper with the report of the water being contaminated with peroxide is enough proof....unless they claim it was your containers that were to blame.
What about your rock and sand, do you have to replace that?

S

siptang

i was literally in tears when my tank nearly crashed from bad batch of water and killed my son's favorite clown trigger among with many things.

wen tom

Hey! Flower I read your thread on setting up a HT. I got a "biosponge" great big things, but when I hook up the pump to them the air just comes out, it doesn't go thru the sponge. Am I doing something wrong, Thanks, Wow what a story, (yours) I LOVE the way this group does so much for each other. wen tom

S

siptang

Yea we are very family alike group. :)
Keith being the family comedia, lois the mom and flower the over protective nana or aunty lol.
Me and rick are the annoying bros and seth is the awkward cousin. ;)

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/395505/system-shot/20#post_3521591
Keith being the family comedia, lois the mom and flower the over protective nana or aunty lol.
OMG!!!!! that is so freakin funny Sip!!
Flower, I am going to place some of the Live Rock from my C.C.U. (Coral Containment Unit) and place them into the DT and hope the pods repopulate. Lol...... copod love makin!! Lol..... puttin on the Barry white for them. Bwhahahahaaa
Of coarse the pet store responsible is denying everything. Contacting the B.B.B.
Besides they have a crapy selection of corals. Now we know why huh?

sweatervest13

Yeah. It's unlikely that they would own up to anything. that sucks!
It's a great lesson though... have a QT or HT tank set up. Having the C.C.U helps a ton, and having an extra 125g laying around....
I am sure your loss would be much worse if you were not so prepared.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/395505/system-shot/20#post_3521595
Yeah. It's unlikely that they would own up to anything. that sucks!
It's a great lesson though... have a QT or HT tank set up. Having the C.C.U helps a ton, and having an extra 125g laying around....
I am sure your loss would be much worse if you were not so prepared.
learned from the best here. lol......So far it's paying off. As soon as I find that darned camera the kids "can't find" but just had....... I will snap some pics.

kiefers

There have been several times on this site to where I have said "running it to the lab" well, alot of you may not know what this entitles and how I go about doing so. Many times I have taken things to the College, after obtaining the samples and drop them off the the micro department and waite for the results. However, while plating these bacteria, I merely keep them here, and check for growth on the plates, then take them in and look at them under the microscope after the simple stain process. There have been a few times where I will just get a drop of the water and look under the scope and analyze the bacteria while alive.
So....... this thread just got delivered to me and to give ya'll an idea of how I do this I thought I would share. The idea is the same and PLEASE keep in mind, the sterile field is very difficult to keep while doing so so moving quickly is important.
I have done this type of samples on "bottled bacteria" that some like to take jabs at and have been rather surprised with the results. The bottles in macrobacter and stability, revealed different types of bacteria. I have taken samples of skim, filter media, samples from the sand beds and in the refugium.
so enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9o2nR1mCrA

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wen tom http:///t/395505/system-shot/20#post_3521580
Hey! Flower I read your thread on setting up a HT. I got a "biosponge" great big things, but when I hook up the pump to them the air just comes out, it doesn't go thru the sponge. Am I doing something wrong, Thanks, Wow what a story, (yours) I LOVE the way this group does so much for each other. wen tom
Hi,
I'm not familiar with the pump or bio-sponge you are talking about. "great big things??????" The thing about a sponge is that they can be cut very easy to fit your needs.
I use a HOB filter (larger then the 10g tank requires) I put media from the established tank into the that (it just sits in the back of the thing and water flows through and then "waterfalls" back into the tank.. For the rest of the set up, I use an air pump with an air line, no stone. I use a rubberband to attach the air line to a piece of PVC pipe that I hide behind a resin tank decoration (a rigid tube works better, but they are hard to find at the LFS and must be ordered)... I also take a little of the prolifera macroalgae from the display, and put that in there as well. If a new fish is sick, the macros and decoration are easy to remove, so that I can treat the tank with whatever medicine is needed.

When my tank was new, and I was first stocking the tank, I kept the little tank set up all the time. I had cycled it along with the display. Once I had the tank stocked, I didn't need to add new fish very often, so I figured out a way to do one in a pinch when I needed a hospital tank for a sick fish.
I usually have a tub of water mixing for water changes, it has a power head to churn the water...it will sometimes sit for weeks before use it, I seldom don't have already mixed water. If you don't, then you need to make a tub of water before you start, so you have some to replace what you remove from the display. New SW needs to churn at least 12 to 24 hours before you use it. Getting some premixed from the LFS is another option if you don't have a tub to store water. Anyway, I take the old water from the display, and fill the 10g. The prolifera macroalgae and the used media makes a sort of "instant cycle" for that little tank to be able to use it. I keep those stick tests for ammonia, and test the water twice a day. Just in case I need to do an emergency change...so far I have never needed to, but I'm always nervous about an "instant set up", because there really is no such thing as instant anything when it comes to saltwater.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/395505/system-shot/20#post_3521591
Heh. Awkward, huh? Well, at least I stand out and don't blend in with the rest of the crowd. lol
Kiefers, sorry for all your losses man. I'm sure that you will fix the problems and move on with the hobby. Something good will come out of this, I'm almost sure of it.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/395505/system-shot/20#post_3521599
There have been several times on this site to where I have said "running it to the lab" well, alot of you may not know what this entitles and how I go about doing so. Many times I have taken things to the College, after obtaining the samples and drop them off the the micro department and waite for the results. However, while plating these bacteria, I merely keep them here, and check for growth on the plates, then take them in and look at them under the microscope after the simple stain process. There have been a few times where I will just get a drop of the water and look under the scope and analyze the bacteria while alive.
So....... this thread just got delivered to me and to give ya'll an idea of how I do this I thought I would share. The idea is the same and PLEASE keep in mind, the sterile field is very difficult to keep while doing so so moving quickly is important.
I have done this type of samples on "bottled bacteria" that some like to take jabs at and have been rather surprised with the results. The bottles in macrobacter and stability, revealed different types of bacteria. I have taken samples of skim, filter media, samples from the sand beds and in the refugium.
so enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9o2nR1mCrA
You don't really have good lab technique... Not supposed to completely take the cover off the plate, nor hover it under your nose. You also don't use a control group... Why not set up two 10g tanks and do the same tests? What source of ammonia did you give the bacteria to grow? Can you show an actual graph of the growth rate? Is this growth rate far faster than with an actual piece of live rock? There are a lot of holes in the experiment that you might need to fill before I'm a believer.
Can you make a conjecture about why the pH of the solution was so low coming out of the bottle?
I might be criticising your experiment, but that makes it where on the next one it will be more accurate and better support your hypothesis.... Nothing against you or your time and experience. I just don't want others to buy it hook, line, and sinker without asking questions and being familiar with the scientific method.

kiefers

Didn't see the face on the dude did ya? Masks were worn. altho no micro streak plate or tube test is "totally" sterile but the results remain the same. This is why they isolate bacteria and separate the contaminates from the the baceria they are looking for. Even so, the plate wasn't under his nose and he didn't have the cover off for but a few seconds. As you are aware, there is bacteria everywhere so......
However, I do agree that a control tank should have been used, with that said, I beleive the result may have varied slightly but not much .Thanks Seth, things are slowly looking up. But I'm more concerned witth thi petstore, I don't feel comfortable knowing they have no clue what they are doing or selling a product, like water, that is bad and harmful to peoples tanks. Shame really.
I already have my eyes on a couple of new fish and some crazy coral. We will see what rolls out.
As for the pH out of the bottle, well, no light, or buffering system.
I can not offer much explaination on the video, this was just a rough idea of what I do when I do samples in my home tank and send things out to the lab. I do the streak plating myself, broth tubes, and gram staining.