Tangs for 90 gallon

rookum

i have a yellow tang in my 90 got a little to much lr so started up my 55 to lighten the load, my tang i have had for a year and he started in a 55 but he's doing fine. everybody has there own opinion on these things and i am new to the hobby or addiction whatever you call it and try to learn as much as i can but just like snowflakes everyone's experience is different. try to tdo the research and be informed but these are living things and are going to react in different ways to different situations. remeber kaos theory in jurassic park anything is possible. okay thats a load of crap but i tried. good luck

i rule

Originally Posted by promisetbg
There is no such thing as a tank raised tang, sorry.

They are often caught as larvae and thus tank raised. Sorry. (EDIT LANGUAGE. why the hell else do you think 1'' regals would be so common in the hobby?)

anacaonda dan

There is no such thing as a tank raised tang, sorry.
Yes, in fact.
There are.
Man some of you guys know everything :)
I love
the internet!

eaglewonj

Originally Posted by anacaonda dan
Yes, in fact.
There are.
Man some of you guys know everything :)
I love
the internet!

I saw that there were attempts, but had trouble finding some to buy. I wasn't sure if my LFS mispoke when they said they had a batch of tank bred hippos.
Have heard a lot about juvi catching and some about larvae catching, but I don't think this quite matches up yet with how hardy tank bred versions would be. (like my tank bred clowns vs. wild caught)

promisetbg

Originally Posted by I Rule
They are often caught as larvae and thus tank raised. Sorry. (EDIT LANGUAGE why the hell else do you think 1'' regals would be so common in the hobby?)
Why do you have to use words to correct me. I can take it that I am wrong...no problem there. This site has and always will be filled with rude people...now I know why I left the last time, thanks for reminding me.

ophiura

Why do you have to use words to correct me. I can take it that I am wrong...no problem there. This site has and always will be filled with rude people...now I know why I left the last time, thanks for reminding me.

promisetbg....
Please don't let these people get to you. It is not reflective of the majority. Many with this attitude do not last long.

ophiura

The problem here is one of semantics, IMO. You are talking about different things. In this hobby we tend to think of TANK RAISED or CAPTIVE RAISED as meaning they were raised from animals who bred in captivity, and so were not harvested AT ANY STAGE from the wild. It is generally applied to clownfish, dottybacks, certain cardinals, etc that breed in captivity.
Tank Raised or captive raised has been applied to certain tangs that are caught at a very small size and raised. It does not mean that it is sustainable harvesting. It does not mean the tangs were breeding in captivity. It is a very different thing.
There are sporadic reports of tang spawning, but not to a level where the offspring are commercially available.
Folks, if you can't share information productively, please don't share it at all.

1journeyman

Hey guys, at a stretch, what Tangs would you recommend for a 90 gallon reef aquarium? Also, how many would be acceptable? I was thinking about 4 or maybe 5 if they were really docile, since I saw a guy with a Tomini, Regal and Luitenant Tang in a 65 UK gallon tank that were doing good.
You asked for recommendations I Rule. Why are you now arguing with the experienced posters who are giving it to you?

fender

If all the good folks leave the community will be nothing but monsters.
There are obvious trolls that shouldn't keep you from coming here. A quick review of posts by this thread's author has shown that the ignore list does come in handy from time to time.

1journeyman

P.S. it's not that I don't want to hear your opinion; it's just that I know better. Your not the only well-researched and experienced member here.
you've come a long way from the new hbobyist keeping 10 "nemos" in a 46 gallon tank. Thread from 11-06
Debate is healthy I Rule, but arguing that other people are being snobs by trying to keep you away from buying fish that need bigger tanks is wrong. I have a 180. I would love to keep a school of Tangs. I have to think of what is best for the fish, however.

wangotango

wow that "nemo" thread was something else. anyways if you want a larger nicely colored fish, why not find a nice angel? they graze on algae and most dont require as large of a tank as a tang. i agree with the people that said only a kole would be good choice. take it from me, when i first started out in sw i had a yellow tang in my 55 and it didnt take very long for him to become very thin and lethargic, no matter how much nori and seaweed i fed him. the people here have only the best intentions and we have all learned from stupid mistakes and are only trying to prevent something bad that was avoidable from happening to you.
-Justin

jerthunter

They are often caught as larvae and thus tank raised. Sorry. (EDIT LANGUAGE. why the hell else do you think 1'' regals would be so common in the hobby?)
Really? This seems wierd, never knew regal tangs were collected as larvae.. Strange.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
Really? This seems wierd, never knew regal tangs were collected as larvae.. Strange.
It's true.
It's misleading though to compare 20 or 30 1" tangs in a 90 gallon tank (temporarily) with a full grown Tang in the same 4' tank for 40 or 50 years..

jerthunter

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
It's true.
It's misleading though to compare 20 or 30 1" tangs in a 90 gallon tank (temporarily) with a full grown Tang in the same 4' tank for 40 or 50 years..
I never knew that but I guess its good to learn new things.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by ophiura
promisetbg....
Please don't let these people get to you. It is not reflective of the majority. Many with this attitude do not last long.
Thanks for caring Ophiura. It has been bothering me, that I have seen an increase in this type of attitude here at SWF as of late. I even looked at someone's posts the other day, that uses cuss words in their abbreviated form, and they are getting away with it. To me all this is'nt necessary. Is'nt this supposed to be fun?

bang guy

Thanks for caring Ophiura. It has been bothering me, that I have seen an increase in this type of attitude here at SWF as of late. I even looked at someone's posts the other day, that uses cuss words in their abbreviated form, and they are getting away with it. To me all this is'nt necessary. Is'nt this supposed to be fun?

We can't be everywhere. There are more trolls than moderators by 10X. Please use the "report this post" button when you see inappropriate posts. This really helps us a lot and it's greatly appreciated.

promisetbg

I know BG..it is a tough job and you do it out of your dedication. I for one appreciate you and all the mods here.

bang guy

I know BG..it is a tough job and you do it out of your dedication. I for one appreciate you and all the mods here.

:joy: