Tank Progression - 11/02 to 3/04

K

kistheeze

Started the tank with 50 lbs of cured Marshall Islands in November 2002:
I'll apologize now for the images - the 500X500 is pretty restrictive on a rectangluar shape.

K

kistheeze

Couple of weeks later I added 100 lbs of uncured deepwater tonga rock and experienced a VERY intense algae bloom.... Can you say GREEN??

K

kistheeze

Once the cycle ran through I added my cleanup crew and waited until they had cleared out the algae (or at least most of it) and started with a package of basic corals - a "9 for $99" deal.
Unfortunatley, Alveopora and Goniopora were included....

K

kistheeze

Things progressed and grew and I added a few corals (this picture from about February 2003).
Notice in the sand in the middle of the tank my goniopora - FRIGGIN HUGE!!! Until one day it just shrank and started to die... Note to newbies - they all do that....

K

kistheeze

Well - big break in picture taking takes us to March 2004 - the last full tank shot I have taken...

K

kistheeze

The tank was broken down a couple of weeks ago and brought to Kip's house. He is babysitting my tank and I'm sure taking wonderful care of the creatures. The naso tang is being picked up by a friend of ours that has a 180 gallon tank where he can live out the rest of his happy life.
I'll be moving it to my new house in the next few weeks and adding my 400W radium to the middle. Say goodbye to the crossbrace...:D
Kip's probably the nicest person I know to do this with all the other things he has going on....
Thanks Kip!!!
Can you tell I'm tanksick??? I miss it terribly...

chris17

Very nice tank you have there. It has defanitaly come along way from the first picture. Keep up the good work.

nm reef

Very nice series of pics...while at kips place see if you can aquire a few of his rags for the move to your new house.:yes:

K

kistheeze

yeah - some of my frags made their way into his prop tank because of the cloudy water after the move. Maybe there'll be some confusion as to who's is who's...:confused:

K

kistheeze

I'll probably use a hacksaw and I'm not sure what I'll replace it with.
Perhaps a piece of glass.
Or - nothing.

K

kistheeze

That's strange on the red brain - it had a similar incident where one of the larger heads completely disintegrated. The assumption was that the finger leather was brushing up against it and knocked it out.
That coral was a mercy save - COMPLETELY bleached and near death in the tanks at Aquamains.
Good to hear everything's doing well...

K

kistheeze

never got an ID - I'm open to suggestions.
The finger leather extends polyps slightly sometimes - it's never been a big extender....

robchuck

Nice progression on the tank! I remember seeing the Nov. '02 photos with all of the green in them when you originally posted them. And now, less than two years later, the reef is absolutely gorgeous.

K

kistheeze

just kidding.
Last I saw it - it was a little rough. At least not as nice looking as the March picture....

K

kistheeze

how's the excalibur doing?
Pretty amazing for a $100 skimmer, huh? I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

K

kistheeze

pretty sure I'll have to raise up the canopy a little before I get the radium under there.
I'm flip flopping on the whole upgrade thing - so for now I'm gonna just go ahead and install that bulb..
Hopefully the raising of the canopy will help the evaporation too...
Thanks for all the hassle of the drip thing - I remember what a pain that was.... Thank god for crawlspaces and long lengths of plastic tubing...:D