Tank Set-Up Diary and Stocking List - 46 Gallon Bowfront

jetedawg

Hello, everyone! First time poster, but I've been trying to devour everything these forums have to offer!
I've got a 46 gallon bowfront on the way and decided to get the community's opinion on a stocking list.
I plan on maintaining a FOWLR tank only. At the time, I have no desire to keep corals, anemones, or other like creatures. I've read several different cycling guides and have decided to cycle with live rock.
I'm very patient and don't mind waiting for things to be perfect before adding fish.
Without further adieu, here is my idea for a stocking list. Comments/criticisms are welcome!!
After cycle completes:
-1 Ocellaris Clownfish (Tank Raised)
-1 Bicolor Blenny
One month later (or however long it takes for bioload to stabilize)
-3 Blue/Green or Blue Reef Chromis (Chose 3 for the schooling effect)
-1 Orange Lined Cardinalfish
-1 Flame Angel or Coral Beauty Angel
My questions are as follows:
1) Is it OK to add the fish in the order I have them listed? I know that the Angels are the most aggressive on the list, so adding it last seemed logical.
2) Is it OK to add the fish in the quantity I have listed? Two after cycle, three after next cycle, two after next cycle.
3) When in the process should I add the clean-up crew? I was planning on a 2-3 assorted snails, 1-2 assorted crabs, and 1 cleaner shrimp to start.
4) Adding the Blenny early is the plan, but I should probably make sure there is plenty of algae for it to eat, correct? If there is only enough algae for either the Blenny or the clean-up crew, which is a more stable first addition?
Thanks for the help, guys! I look forward to learning and contributing the community in the future!

chris walker90

This is how i started my 30gal tank.
10lbs of LR bough from local fish store. Let that cycle
Added 3 damsles let them stay in there for a month or so.
i then added 2 clowns My damsles became bullys to one clow and killed him so i got rid of the damsles. added 10 blue legged hermits.
later i added more LR
about 3 months running i added a lawnmower blenny and 3 brown legged hermits
about 5-6months running i added a Coral Beauty and tank is running fine
here is a pic of my tank

btldreef

Welcome to the boards and the additiction!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetedawg http:///t/387979/stocking-list-46-gallon#post_3418217
Hello, everyone! First time poster, but I've been trying to devour everything these forums have to offer!
I've got a 46 gallon bowfront on the way and decided to get the community's opinion on a stocking list.
I plan on maintaining a FOWLR tank only. At the time, I have no desire to keep corals, anemones, or other like creatures. I've read several different cycling guides and have decided to cycle with live rock.
I'm very patient and don't mind waiting for things to be perfect before adding fish. This is one of the best things I can tell new comers is to BE PATIENT!
Without further adieu, here is my idea for a stocking list. Comments/criticisms are welcome!!
After cycle completes:
-1 Bicolor Blenny You might want to switch the position of this guy and the cardinal fish.
1) Is it OK to add the fish in the order I have them listed? I know that the Angels are the most aggressive on the list, so adding it last seemed logical. Yes, although, I would trade the position of the cardinal and the bi color.
2) Is it OK to add the fish in the quantity I have listed? Two after cycle, three after next cycle, two after next cycle. Just monitor. If you do one fish, wait two weeks, add another fish. The group of 3 Chromis is going to be the one that has to be watched the closest, but if your tank is properly cycled, you should be fine. Watch your CUC at this time because you'll be adding a lot to the bioload at once.

3) When in the process should I add the clean-up crew? I was planning on a 2-3 assorted snails, 1-2 assorted crabs, and 1 cleaner shrimp to start. This is a good idea to start with and then in the weeks in between fish additions, you might want to/need to bump up your clean up crew.

4) Adding the Blenny early is the plan, but I should probably make sure there is plenty of algae for it to eat, correct? If there is only enough algae for either the Blenny or the clean-up crew, which is a more stable first addition? As I mentioned above, I think it would be wise to switch the addition of the blenny and cardinal.

Thanks for the help, guys! I look forward to learning and contributing the community in the future!
Hope that helps!

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetedawg http:///t/387979/stocking-list-46-gallon#post_3418217
Hello, everyone! First time poster, but I've been trying to devour everything these forums have to offer! Welcome to the forums!
I've got a 46 gallon bowfront on the way and decided to get the community's opinion on a stocking list. Good Choice!
I plan on maintaining a FOWLR tank only. At the time, I have no desire to keep corals, anemones, or other like creatures. I've read several different cycling guides and have decided to cycle with live rock. You'll get the bug one day!
I'm very patient and don't mind waiting for things to be perfect before adding fish. That's a good thing in this hobby.
After cycle completes:
-1 Bicolor Blenny
1) Is it OK to add the fish in the order I have them listed? I know that the Angels are the most aggressive on the list, so adding it last seemed logical. I would switch cycle two with cycle 1. Chromis are very hardy fish, and are relatively inexpensive compared to clownfish and blennies.
2) Is it OK to add the fish in the quantity I have listed? Two after cycle, three after next cycle, two after next cycle. I don't see any problem...
3) When in the process should I add the clean-up crew? I was planning on a 2-3 assorted snails, 1-2 assorted crabs, and 1 cleaner shrimp to start. After your cycle ends and you develop some algae.
4) Adding the Blenny early is the plan, but I should probably make sure there is plenty of algae for it to eat, correct? If there is only enough algae for either the Blenny or the clean-up crew, which is a more stable first addition? Blennies can be trained to eat nori and dried hair algae and other frozen foods. No reason to add it first. That will be your clean up crews job. There will probably be plenty of algae in the tank for the blennie to eat when you get it.
I would go ahead and figure out where you are going to buy RO (reverse osmosis) water to start your tank or if you are going to buy saltwater from your local fish store to start it and if you are going to buy top off water from the LFS or the grocery store etc... Do not use tap water to start your tank, especially since it's a small tank. Do not use tap water for top offs either. It contains too many nitrates/phosphate/heavy metals.

jetedawg

Thanks for the replies.
I got my tank via FedEx today (no cracks, thank God) and have it all set up with the sand, saltwater, filter, heater, and powerhead. Going to get some LR tomorrow to begin the cycling.
I'll update the thread periodically with any updates! I'll also post a pic once the water clears up and I get the LR in.

1guydude

lots of fish choices with a FOWLR tank! U can get some great looking color wise and personality wise fish! Id suggest a wrasse too...

jetedawg

Added 16lbs of cured Live Rock and 5lbs of Base Rock today. Will post picture tomorrow once water clears again.

jetedawg

Saw a tiny spike in ammonia a few days ago and it's back to zero with the corresponding jump in nitrites. Nitrates, here we come! If things continue on this path, hopefully should stock the first two fish in about a week!

teresaq

Great start. one thing, I would finish adding your rock before adding any fish. Adding uncured live rock can mess with your cycle again. You can add base rock with out hurting anything. you can also cure rock in a seperate container then add it, but I would be very carful if you have any fish.

jetedawg

Thanks, Teresa! I had forgotten about the whole cured/uncured issue when fish were in the tank. Thankfully, I've got something I can cure it in before I add more to the tank.

1guydude

id make a lagoon style rock work or stack it high on one side and lower on the other side to give that slope look or penninsula look. I know that changing the rock work around happens! LOL ask anyone here theyve changed their rock work tons of times till they finally found one they like and stick with. Its called aquascaping!

jetedawg

I think a lagoon style would suit me just fine!! Need to wait on finding a few of the right sized, good quality rocks, though.

jetedawg

First two inhabitants... mated pair of Ocellaris Clowns. Also added a few crabs and a few snails. The activity of the crabs is astounding... they have been grazing and climbing all over the rock non-stop!
Once the bioload stabilizes again, I'll probably be adding 3 blue/green Chromis next. After that, think I'm going to have to add at least 10-15 more lbs of LR (after curing out of DT, of course) before I add anything else.
Couldn't get those lovely air bubbles out from the background. Doesn't look so pronounced in real life, though.

jetedawg

I've had the two clowns, 6 scarlet reef hermits, and 5 turbo snails in for 4 full days now and ammonia and nitrite have remained at 0 during every test I've done. Nitrate between 0 and 5 (API Test Kit). I've got two questions!
1) Is it normal for those two readings to stay at 0 for this long when introducing a big jump in bioload?
2) If both the readings stay at 0 and I get Nitrates close to 0 via water change, could I introduce another fish or two in a few days safely?
Thanks!!

1guydude

best to wait 10day in between adding anything. E.g rock, sand, fish, inverts, coral...
also best to do changes in a slow motion such as light, water temp, salinity...
sounds good...keep it up!