Tank Story: THE BIG ONE (not really) Build thread

SOOOOOOOO.. after a wonderful day of driving 3 hours to get some LR the guy gave me a deal i couldn't refuse... 2.50 per pound of high end LR... and a 20 gal tank and stand for 25 bucks... So i got it...
Then i went to the next guy and picked up a nice little 10 gal... and then i started thinking.. why dont i have a little fun and set up a 20 gal with a 10g sump... Ridiculous.. i know but fun...
Good news is my PC on my main tank will fit on 20g... and will give me 9.25 watts per gallon.. WOOT... now i just need to replace my main lights... but im broke.. SO im going to have to just use a normal aquarium light for now.. and make it a FOWLR tank..
Heres some pics...
Ten Gal

20 gal

Ten gal set up to hold LR till i get my everything situated with stand and 20g

There is it ima sand and stain the stand.. get the pipeing set up and get a return pump.. no protein skimmer for now... need new lights.. but taking off old tank.. I think thats it...
Anyone wanna give comments or yell at me or say im stupid.. or give suggestions
O ya its pre drilled...

nissan577

looks nice! ima tag along. IMO why not get t5 for lights. or Power compacts. but of low wattage. you dont wanna kill the corals lol

melypr1985

Well, if your only doing fish and live rock then you dont need to worry about corals until you get bored with it. (you know you will after a little while) then you'll need to add your pc's or t5's. I use pc on my 10 and it works great. i might upgrade later but until then the pc's are growing my corals nicely

9.5 isnt bad its amazing.. you dont want over 10 watts then it gets bad.. but 9.5 is rated in the high category.. so i should be fine...
and T-5 Lol that would kill it... My lights for my 38 will fit on this ... and the wattage is going to be like 7 watts at the bottem.. it will be sweet..
Mel your tank is amazing though.. whats ur wattage

Yep i plan on sanding it and either staining it or painting it i cant figure out which on.. probable a nice dark stain... and some varnish to make it sparkle... what do i need for my sump... just a pipe gravity fed from the main tank... and then a return pump to pump the water back... Anyone go suggestions for a return pump that isnt that exp but will be able to pump the water 3 feet straight up to the tank...

melypr1985

Originally Posted by Marchingbandjs
http:///forum/post/3122344
9.5 isnt bad its amazing.. you dont want over 10 watts then it gets bad.. but 9.5 is rated in the high category.. so i should be fine...
and T-5 Lol that would kill it... My lights for my 38 will fit on this ... and the wattage is going to be like 7 watts at the bottem.. it will be sweet..
Mel your tank is amazing though.. whats ur wattage
Honestly I cant remember. I just went to the LFS where one of my DMAS members work and told him to give me a light that would work. This was my very fist tank and i didn't know what I was doing. I think (i could be wrong) my light is 36 watts or something. considering my tank is shallow and small and I took the glass lid off it works great for me.

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3122500
lookin' good. Can't wait to see the clear pics. I like dark stains on tank stands.
Thats how it came i sanded it and started staining today 1 coat on another 5 to go... and ill post the progression pics up soon...
Originally Posted by melypr1985

http:///forum/post/3122531
Honestly I cant remember. I just went to the LFS where one of my DMAS members work and told him to give me a light that would work. This was my very fist tank and i didn't know what I was doing. I think (i could be wrong) my light is 36 watts or something. considering my tank is shallow and small and I took the glass lid off it works great for me.
Ya your tank is doing good with your lights... right now i need money so this will be FO for around 4 months...

Quick Update... In Vinegar Bath.. cleaned filter and have that circling Vinegar bath.. Dont know how the UV light works and it needs a new light... And LR tank has cleared up ill get pics later...

Originally Posted by melypr1985
http:///forum/post/3122735
do what you gotta do right? besides, fish are exciting too!
Yes they will do... Thinking one fish... Flame angel.. which will be able to be good when small in this tank.. or 2 dwarf Lionfish... Gonna be in my room

rlablan

I love love love love love my lionfish! He is such a riot to watch! great personality, just be careful when you're doing things in the tank. The sting hurts like crazy! They do eat other fish though, even if you keep them really well fed! they will still eat fish that are bigger than they are.

Still dont know what i will need for the return pump i need to spend as little cash as possible and i need to buy 2 kor #2 and 2 kor #1 and then maby a #3.. uhh running out of powerheads FAST... So return pump... what would u suggest maby about 4 feet up ...