Tank Story: THE BIG ONE (not really) Build thread

Well i wanna get the water from the sump to the tank which is 4 foot verticle.. then ima use the return as a powerhead... so ill need like 300GPH actually going into the tank...

rlablan

I think the mag 9.5 would be great. I have a 1300 gph pump and I don't get that into the tank. If you use that, and if you put some adjustable nozzles on the returns, that are custom and you can build them (LFS should have them), that can serve as your flow and you will need no power heads (Like I have done in my tank.) It saves space and looks more sleek and effortless, than having tons of powerheads. There is also little to no noise. (As you would be eliminating the noise of powerheads.

cranberry

I can't say go for the angel because I have zero experience with them, but I wouldn't put 2 dwarf lions in a 20 gallon tank.

nissan577

Originally Posted by Marchingbandjs
http:///forum/post/3123202
Ok...
Do you thing the Mag 9.5 would have enough umph to let me split the line and put a return at each end...
well not all power heads make noise. the koralias are silent. the mag 9.5 to me will be a kill in a 20g. just imagine your self in a room with a big fan hitting you. you will have your eyes close and move around alot. yea more flow more better it is. but the corals will either fall or not open at all no matter what way you do it. i have a 95g with a 600gph and the flow is great. just some corals get push around. now imagine a 20g with a 950gph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats insane! twister!
go low and get 2 k2 thats it or 2 k1.

The Mag 9 isnt going in the tank.. its going in the sump.. im putting ball valves on to throttle it back ...
Do you understand? i think you think im putting it in the tank.. im putting it in the sump under the tank to flush the water up 4 feet.. then ima split the line and run it to each side of the tank to put that flex hose on to work as power heads.. theres no way it wil lhave 950 GPH of push once it goes up 4 feet and splits.. Here ill draw pic...

nissan577

maybe you never seen a mag 9.5. to me no matter what way you do it your gonna have strong high flow. also the water going up is gnna be faster then the water coming down. so your sump might or will be empty. and you will get bubbles.
i know what your talking about. do what ever you want. maybe your right but im trying to help you. wish you luck

melypr1985

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3123390
maybe you never seen a mag 9.5. to me no matter what way you do it your gonna have strong high flow. also the water going up is gnna be faster then the water coming down. so your sump might or will be empty. and you will get bubbles.
i know what your talking about. do what ever you want. maybe your right but im trying to help you. wish you luck

nissan i think your right. Your going to be pumping up more water than is coming down. Your sump will be empty and blowing bubbles into your tank. then you'll probably burn out the pump. If I were you I would either downsize the pump or go bigger with both the tank and the sump. If your really attahed to that paticular pump then upgrade the rest of your system.

nissan577

Originally Posted by melypr1985
http:///forum/post/3123423
nissan i think your right. Your going to be pumping up more water than is coming down. Your sump will be empty and blowing bubbles into your tank. then you'll probably burn out the pump. If I were you I would either downsize the pump or go bigger with both the tank and the sump. If your really attahed to that paticular pump then upgrade the rest of your system.
thanks Mely. i keep saying that but like you said hes attach to that pump

melypr1985

What's funny is I think he's trying to use a pump similar to the one I have on my 90. and even it's too big for my system. I had to modify my overflow to bring down twice the amount of water just to keep up with it.

nissan577

same here!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a 95g wih a 600gph and i still modified it. when i had a mag 9.5 it was with bubbles. and to much flow. the 600 is great

but he has a 20g and hes trying to put a mag 9.5. im sorry but thats crazy!

Lol ya sorry..
Nissan I wasnt like attacking you or saying no i was just confused.. so what pump would you recomend.. like brand and size...

How do you figure out whats going out of the overflow... its just a hole in the glass with and bulkhead attacked and tubing coming down