Tank Story: THE BIG ONE (not really) Build thread

nissan577

well you can get a mag 3 which im sure they are real lol. i saw them at my lfs. anything with 300gph is good

rlablan

With plenty of ball valves, you can make it work. Like i said. I have a total of 2200 gallons per hour and I still had to put koralias in. I hate them and I wish it was not that way but... ?? Maybe don't get a mag 9 but something smaller. if you split the return, you're splitting the power, so basically if you get a 9, you'd get 5.5 on each side. plus you are right, when it is going 4 ft vertical, you will lose some of that GPH. I would say go with a 6, then split it, and you should be just fine.

nissan577

Originally Posted by rlablan
http:///forum/post/3123886
With plenty of ball valves, you can make it work. Like i said. I have a total of 2200 gallons per hour and I still had to put koralias in. I hate them and I wish it was not that way but... ?? Maybe don't get a mag 9 but something smaller. if you split the return, you're splitting the power, so basically if you get a 9, you'd get 5.5 on each side. plus you are right, when it is going 4 ft vertical, you will lose some of that GPH. I would say go with a 6, then split it, and you should be just fine.
300gph!

Total losses are 4.96 feet of head pressure, or 2.14 PSI. with a flow rate of 249 GPH. Process took 112 iterations.
Thats what it said i have no idea.. this is with mag 5 so i lose half of.. it so i think that 250 gph each.. or maby thats only 124.5 each... Is that enough i think thats a little low i thoguht it was 30-50x with x being your tank so 600-1000 maby im wrong

Yeppers.. finished stand staining to day.. now just shiny stuff... looks good.. and got the tank all cleans and sparkley fresh... Once i figure out this whole return pump ill start.... Not thinking of doing anything specials in sump area..
basicallly...
bubble trap near inflow.. with LR... then to an open area with a egg crate box fulll of that algae stuff ... then another bubble trap and the out flow.. no skimmer.. and putting HOB filter in down there...
Simple and easy.
Will post pics of stand when all done..

melypr1985

You know I have a 10 gallon and I only have a HOB filter rated for a 20 and two power heads in there. I've found that this has worked perfectly. Not to mention, some things dont like alot of flow. If you have LPS some of them will have the tissue ripped from their skeletons with too much flow. I would just get a power head if you need more flow in a certain area. That way you can accomidate a wide range of creatures. I'm not saying get a HOB filter, just reign in your gph wants for your return pump. Just get something that works and doesn't over do it. Then add a powerhead if you still feel like you need more flow. Just my Humble Oppinion of course.

Mkay i guess that will work.. then i go with mag 5.. or wait ill get mag 7 and just throttle it back.. and I have a HOB rated for 110.. lol ... Its pumps some serious water.... gonna start with pipes once i get return pump and baffles.. Lol thanks guys for following its only you 2... and my other thread is dead.. lol i update and nothing uhh o well ..

rlablan

WTF? the are 3 on us. I just see no point in saying the same thing over and over again, but I read everything.

mantisman51

Continue updating this thread. I am trolling along with you. I converted a 29g to a mini reef and am getting ideas as you go. Your effort/posts are not in vain.

Ya i know plus i like doing it haha...
Stand should be done in 24 hours.. then ima get the tanks in place order the Mag 7... and get that... build the Sump... and hook it up.. hopefully in 2 weeks.. got school starting

nissan577

Originally Posted by Marchingbandjs
http:///forum/post/3124661
Ya i know plus i like doing it haha...
Stand should be done in 24 hours.. then ima get the tanks in place order the Mag 7... and get that... build the Sump... and hook it up.. hopefully in 2 weeks.. got school starting
what you ended up doing?

I got the same 10gal as you! Good thing your making a sump out of it...the lights suck! I had to replace w/ fluos because they died atleast once a month...