Tank Temp

teen

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
If only it really worked that way.
i feel it does work that way. why do you think different?
Originally Posted by Bronco300

just curious how the latter 79-81 with a fluctuate to 84 is goin to be stressful but a constant fluctuate to 79-85 will not? seems like it would still be rough on them considering the major fluctuation still happens??
because the animals adapt to the swing. if they are in a controlled environment where the temp nevers goes below 79 or higher than 81, then the day the temp goes up to 84, thats a 3 degree swing that they're not used to. if the animals experience a swing of 4 degrees often, then the day it swings 5 degrees, it wont be as stressful.

bang guy

Originally Posted by teen
i feel it does work that way. why do you think different?
Stressing corals every day doesn't get them used to the stress and it doesn't make them stronger. It just stresses them. This means less growth and a greater chance of disease.
A constant 85F won't stress most corals. In my opinion 79F - 85F on a daily basis will stress all but the hardiest corals.
It's your tank though and you need to do what you think is best for your animals.

teen

honestly speaking, i feel that after a while its not stress, but more along the lines of daily routine, something the tank is sued too.
and if anything, i feel my tank is doing better than ever. i can literally see the new growth in some of my sps on a daily basis (mostly acropora nana, blue stag, and 3 different digis). my zoas and shrooms have always been fast growers and i havent noticed a change there either. im not saying its due to the temp swing that goes on in my tank, but i dont feel the temp swing is hurting things.

re_vogel

So temps between 81 and 84 are not bad, correct. I can keep any temp consistent. I am just trying to determine what temp I want...

bang guy

Originally Posted by re_vogel
So temps between 81 and 84 are not bad, correct. I can keep any temp consistent. I am just trying to determine what temp I want...
Research your animals and find out where they do best in the wild then mimic the environment there.
There is no single best environment if you have animals from all over the globe so in most cases pick the most delicate organism.

T

tiberius

I keep mine between 82 and 85 degrees. Living in Florida is hard in the summer. The tank lids remain off the entire time. I add the heater in the winter and keep it at 82 degrees. I put my A/C on when I see the temp at 86 degrees.

fishcake

Research your animals and find out where they do best in the wild then mimic the environment there.
There is no single best environment if you have animals from all over the globe so in most cases pick the most delicate organism.

Check these..
I resized so the temp (celcius) from left to right Increases as follows.
0-2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20-22-24-26-28-30-32-33.7

aztec reef

here's my two cents on this. my tanks have always run between 82-87, the reason for this is that the water will never get cooler than 82(unless my heater is broken) and it will never get hotter than 87 even on summer. imo that is the best way to replicate the ocean reef.where the waters are always warm and they just get warmer as the summer comes.. :happyfish

re_vogel

ok, one last post. All my fish come from either the indo-pacific region or the indian ocean.. Based on what I am seeing on the chart that would make the average temp (assuming I wanted to recreate were they live to be 78-82 degrees). Would someone just confime this...
Thanks

aztec reef

not necessarily a good idea. unless you get wild caught animals..if you buy animals at your lfs.they could be lab/tank raised.which they keep their temperatures more like the average hobbyist :happyfish

lazypinoy

ok summer is around the corner. prepare ur chillers and ac people! last summer my tank rose to a whoping 92 degrees in mid summer!!! i like to keep it at 81 by the way.

re_vogel

thanks funny thing is, the average hobbiest does not have an average temp. Everyone has a different idea, I will shoot for 78-80 degrees... Thanks again for everyone who replied...

aztec reef

thanks funny thing is, the average hobbiest does not have an average temp. Everyone has a different idea, I will shoot for 78-80 .

that is the average temp... :happyfish

chadman

so from what i am getting out of this thread could the woman at my lfs which said that my carpet died from being burned up in my 84 degree water have been full of it?

bang guy

ok, one last post. All my fish come from either the indo-pacific region or the indian ocean.. Based on what I am seeing on the chart that would make the average temp (assuming I wanted to recreate were they live to be 78-82 degrees). Would someone just confime this...
Thanks
Confirmed.

bang guy

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
lfs are allways full of it.. imo i don't think you can kill any reef animal with temp, at 84 :happyfish
I agree if you change that to "Tropical Reef Animal".
What often happens is that the temp will climb from a low temp like 76 or lower, and then spike at 84, 85 or higher and the hobbiest will panic and throw cold water, Ice and everything else at the tank and rapidly drop the temp to below 80 again. The big fluctuation is what kills the animals, not the 84F. Typically had they just set the heaters higher and not let the temp drop then everything would have been fine.