Tap Water Question

paulcoates

As long as I have a cleanup crew and treat my tap water, is tap water ok to use? What are the downfalls of tap even if I have a cleanup crew

yosemite sam

There can be lots of bad things in tap water, heavy metals, organics, etc. I tested my tap water here in new york to see if I could use it in an emergency. The phosphates were 1.0!!!!!

bang guy

Copper, Tin & Zinc are the big problems. Then there's the excess nutrients like Nitrate, Phosphate and Silicate.

beckzilla

Please dont flame me for this but........Where in the heck is beaslbob when you really need him? Sorry, I just couldn't resist, that guy was such a big joke.

obarrera

Originally posted by Fishcake
But you could use amquel to knock out the copper etc..

No this won't get rid of all the bad things.:/

promisetbg

Originally posted by Beckzilla
Please dont flame me for this but........Where in the heck is beaslbob when you really need him? Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Bite your tongue:scared:

nm reef

Way to much potential for damage and/or harmful metals/toxins from tap water...personally I'd avoid using any tap water in my aquarium. In my mind its far safer to control the quality of the water source and prevent potential problems at the source.
...and a fine of $250 for the mention of our friend beaselbob!!!:D

reefnut

But you could use amquel to knock out the copper etc..

Amquel, when used to treat topoff/water change water can cause it's own set of problems... IMO you would be going from bad to worst...
BUY a RO/DI UNIT... they are a cheap insurance...

beckzilla

Originally posted by NM reef
...and a fine of $250 for the mention of our friend beaselbob!!!:D

NM, who do I make the check out to?
BTW... How are the days treating you? I too am dealing with the recent loss of my mother and am finding time is the best healer as it always is. All the good memories help lessen the pain when times seem glum. Hang in there.:happy:

big boy69

All i know is when you use tap water detoxifier, like i did when i added my water, when you turn your skimmer on you're going to have a lot of bubbles going back in your tank and a lot of greenish water filling up your collection for a couple of days instead of frothy bubble overflow.
I checked the trouble shooting guide to see what the problem was, and they hit the nail on the head. They were the same symptoms i was having with using the detoxifier.

castle75

You can use a tap water filter, but R/O water is the best, they say. We use a tap water filter & have for YEARS & it works great. If you don't filter your tap water then you will have terrible algae problems, speaking to you from years of experience. Algae is worse with regular tapwater because of all the impurities in it, minerals, elements, etc.
Jennifer

mudplayerx

You can go to Walmart and pay only 15-25 ents per gallon for RO water. Just make sure you bring your own containers.

reefnut

Originally posted by castle75
You can use a tap water filter, but R/O water is the best, they say. We use a tap water filter & have for YEARS & it works great.

Believe it or not a RO/DI is usually cheaper in the long run... and also... Welcome to SWF.COM :)

WELCOME aboard,
I have used treated tap water for YEARS, I was just afraid of not understanding HOW to use a RO/DI unit. and most LFS dont carry them, so not an easy thing to just pick up...
You CAN use treated tap water but if you have it in the budget, buy a ro/di unit.. I JUST decided to buy one after 3 years. I am hoping for a much healthier tank. =)
I have always had diatoms, cyano and I am sure its cuz of the water. I guess time will tell now..
Good luck.
Kim

golfish

only pure fresh water evaps from the tank, not much if any of the nasty things you add alone with your "treated tap water" goes away it only becomes more concentrated as time goes on. Water changed do help a little but your still adding back more of the nasty stuff...
If you start with bad water your off to a bad start.