Temperatures

hi, I have a 20 gallon tank and I'm thinking of getting a pair of clowns... My ideal temp is 78f... The thermometer says its 78f but the temp goes warm al of a sudden then goes cold after 10min... I don't get it because my heater is always on until it reaches the right temp, but the water goes cold and warm... Please help(I have my ceiling fan on all the time, maybe that is why? I live in the north, so maybe that is why what can I do to keep the tank warm? Winter is coming soon and the weather is getting cold now... I have my windows open too so maybe it's that... Any suggestions?

lmforbis

How much of a fluctuation in temp?
1 degree or more like 5 degrees.
What kind of thermometer are you using?

bang guy

How many watts is your heater? What brand?

What size and make is your powerhead and/or main pump?

What kind of lights do you have?

Is the top of the tank covered?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Stable consistent temps are harder to keep the smaller the tank, and your 20 is small. Lights, equipment, and even room temp all effect the temp of the water in the tank. Since you are seeing fluctuations suddenly, maybe you don't have good water circulation in the tank?

How many watts is your heater? What brand?

What size and make is your powerhead and/or main pump?

What kind of lights do you have?

Is the top of the tank covered?
I am not sure how many watts... I think it's 50 watts from auqueon
Power head is a small coral life pump(it says up to 30 gallons)
The top of the tank is covered but I don't put lights on since it is cycling.

Last edited:
Stable consistent temps are harder to keep the smaller the tank, and your 20 is small. Lights, equipment, and even room temp all effect the temp of the water in the tank. Since you are seeing fluctuations suddenly, maybe you don't have good water circulation in the tank?
I'm not sure but maybe? I got my power head pointing up at the surface.

I just touched my water and it was cold, I brushed my teeth, went back a it was warm, literally in 5 minutes the water changed!

I just found out that 5watts per gallon, so I need a 100watts heater, I'll try to get one and I have an old one but I don't know if I should use it, it is from the top fin 20 gallon set, maybe I should use both?

bang guy

I'd strongly recommend two 50 watt heaters instead of a single large heater.

You probably need another powerhead.

You can't use your finger to determine water temp fluctuations. What you perceive can be affected by what your hands were just exposed to. ie. room temperature water feels cool usually but will feel warm if you've just handled a glass of icewater. Get a good thermometer.

Is your cover glass? If so it could inhibit gas exchange. It's not the reason your tank temp fluctuates though.

I wonder if the temp sensor on your heater is faulty and it's letting the tank temp drop too far before turning on.

I'd strongly recommend two 50 watt heaters instead of a single large heater.

You probably need another powerhead.

You can't use your finger to determine water temp fluctuations. What you perceive can be affected by what your hands were just exposed to. ie. room temperature water feels cool usually but will feel warm if you've just handled a glass of icewater. Get a good thermometer.

Is your cover glass? If so it could inhibit gas exchange. It's not the reason your tank temp fluctuates though.

I wonder if the temp sensor on your heater is faulty and it's letting the tank temp drop too far before turning on.
My thermometer always says the tank is 78f
What should I do?! Should I get another 50watts heater?

bang guy

You can wait until fall or winter for the second heater but yeah, I think you need more than a single 50 watt heater unless you keep your room temperature high all the time.

Do you trust the thermometer?

You can wait until fall or winter for the second heater but yeah, I think you need more than a single 50 watt heater unless you keep your room temperature high all the time.

Do you trust the thermometer?
Idk... It's a stick on glass one... I got a under water thermometer and it was a waste of money... Atleast the stick on one works but the under water on wont... Do you trust it?

bang guy

In the winter if will feel warm in the summer it will feel cool. As I mentioned before, a finger is not a good judge of water temp.

This site sells thermometers IJS