Tested My RO/DI Unit and WOW

russelljew

Been having a algae problem and finally bought a TDS meter for my Unit. It came back at 210ppm. My water out of my sink is 240. The Unit is only 8 months old. I tested my bottle of water I had bought and it came back 1ppm, to make sure it was right. What filter would you start with to fix the problem or just all of them? Thanks

meowzer

I replace all at the same time. It's the membrane that is supposed to last like 5 years or something like that

meowzer

I have a 5 stage...that's what I did......
read your instructions, but mine said to change them at the same time

acrylic51

Change them all and take a reading.. Make sure your TDS meter is calibrated as well. If changing the filters doesn't work it might not necessarily mean the membrane is bad. Could be something as simple as the membrane not seated. Water conditions an such cam affect the life expectancy of a membrane as well.

ryancw01

You should only have to change the filters once a year or so under normal conditions unless you are pushing major water through it so it sounds like something might be wrong with the membrane or something. I would take everything apart and put it back together.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Ryancw01
http:///forum/post/3271737
You should only have to change the filters once a year or so under normal conditions unless you are pushing major water through it so it sounds like something might be wrong with the membrane or something. I would take everything apart and put it back together.
That's not totally true. Alot of things will dictate how often your filters need changed and the biggest reason is your TDS of the input water. Water pressure will affect your efficiency, and the membrane will only process so much. Does your unit have a pressure gauge? What's your pressure?

meowzer

LOL...I think that' why he said "under normal" conditions....I mean if you only have a 20g tank....surely you'll get more use of your filters then let's say a 225G, 54G, and 29G

acrylic51

Who's the maker of the RO? Certain size micron filters will allow so much to pass through and there are pros and cons to different sized micron filters. What type of membrane(manufacturer)? Certain size membranes have different rejection rates as well.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3271753
LOL...I think that' why he said "under normal" conditions....I mean if you only have a 20g tank....surely you'll get more use of your filters then let's say a 225G, 54G, and 29G

Normal conditions???? Every water source is different and his input TDS is way higher than what I've ever seen and this will affect, so no the statement of a year isn't correct.

bang guy

You need to replace all of your filter media including the RO. If you don't change the carbon filter in time (typically 6 months) then it can get saturated and chlorine can make its way to you RO membrane. Once the RO membrane is destroyed by chlorine all of the contaminants will dump into the DI and quickly saturate your rosins. All you are left with are sediment filters.