The big crash: end game

reefkprz

well as you all know(those who know me) I have been inactive for quite some time. primarily life has gotten really busy and I havent had much time for

[hr]
reefing.
but over the time I was inactive I had a disasterous crash, (the results of user error) I screwed up big time, I forgot to cover my tank when treating the carpets for fleasand I believe flea powder got into my tank. I lost ALL my SPS except 2 pieces of cap, over half my cool zoas and several fish payed the price for my ignorance, as well as about half my LPS, some of my brains survived and some are still showing signs they may not pull through.
Its hands down the worst tank crash I have ever expirienced in my years of reefkeeping. suprisingly all my cucumbers and stars made it. I even lost my huge leather wich has provided me hundreds of frags. all my euphyllia dead. the list just goes on and on. its the most insane and discouraging thing to happen to me ever. and to think its all my own fault.

brenda5826

so sorry to hear that
life has a way of interfering with our hobbies .
hope what you have left makes it and if anyone can have them rebound its you
good luck

flower

Such a tragedy...
I can't even imagine...the only good I can think of is that this thread may serve to warn others.
Hope everything else makes it...try and think of the joy you can have with the redo, and try not to think of the expense. So very sorry to hear of your loss...

grubsnaek

i understand your disappointment, but ur passion plus a blank canvis will re-energize your desire for the hobby. i wont say sorry to hear, but more on the lines of keep ur head up, and think positive!!!!!!!

reefkprz

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3134745
Sorry reef...when did this happen?
midway through flea season. (this summer) Directly after tearing down my other set ups when My bio load had already undergone a huge swing from moving and changing a bunch of stuff, we found fleas from visiting friends that arent quite as fastidious about fleas as we are. we obnviously went full out adn treated every way imaginable short of bombs and I never thought to cover my tank during the flea killing frenzy.

loopy101

First off welcome back Reef! i missed reading your threads and advice for others!
and im sorry to hear about your tank crashing! you had some beautiful corals!

reefkprz

I miss my fist sized blue echinata the most. out of all my SPS, my ORA blue is nothing but a horrorshow(its on my bookshelf as a morbid reminder of my own stupidity)

mikecurrin

Sorry about your loss Reef, I work for a very large pest company, and we will turn away jobs with anyone who keeps reefs due to this reason. In most cases there is not a lot anyone can do to keep something like a Flea Treatment out of a tank, even with covering the top, sumps, and turning off any air to the tank. Other than that the best treatment if any will be a heavy droplet spray directly to the flooring, Just FYI

reefkprz

thanks usually I balloon my tank and use external air, for some reason this year I just dorked it and effed up.

t316

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3135025
midway through flea season. (this summer) Directly after tearing down my other set ups when My bio load had already undergone a huge swing from moving and changing a bunch of stuff, we found fleas from visiting friends that arent quite as fastidious about fleas as we are. we obnviously went full out adn treated every way imaginable short of bombs and I never thought to cover my tank during the flea killing frenzy.
Sorry man...Not much to say here, but I hope you are not throwing in the towel. You have too much expertise and experience to offer to do that. Sounds like an honest mistake, if that's what really caused this.

reefkprz

nah I'm not giving it up. that would be impossible for me. even if I tore it down I would just wind up starting all over again.
I am going to take i really slowly to make sure my tank is recovered fully before adding much more. I still have some colonies receeding and a pretty nasty outbreak of cyano right now. basicly my tank is ugly as hell at the moment. my poor duncan lost about 1/2 its heads..... it simply amazes me at the resilience of some of my brain corals though. a couple of them look like nothing at all happened.

scopus tang

Ouch! Sorry to hear Z, if you need some help getting some things back, get ahold of me - got a buddy with lots of SPS (ORA type) and course I got lots of zoas and palys. Happy to help you out if we can - let us know.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/3135428
Ouch! Sorry to hear Z, if you need some help getting some things back, get ahold of me - got a buddy with lots of SPS (ORA type) and course I got lots of zoas and palys. Happy to help you out if we can - let us know.
I appreciate the offer, I will possibly get in touch with you about that once I am sure my tank is stable again. I'm treating it like a brand new tank because I am not sure how much of what died other than the visible corals. for the first time in several years, I actually have a testable level of nitrates in my tank.

mikecurrin

How can I get my Nitrates below 40ppm, It has been at this level since I set the tank up in March. I just added a refugium with a 4 inch sand bed, how long will it take to start pulling numbers down?

C

cmaxwell39

Sorry to hear about that reef. I am glad that some stuff pulled through. Like you said, it sometimes amazes me how tough some of these animals are. Good luck going forward.