The Bro's first Saltwater Aquarium 29g BioCube

the bro

Originally Posted by nissan577 http:///forum/post/3253726
look on craiglist, or e-bay. is this tank 20 inches wide???? if so get a t5 set. like this one:
Yea a 29 Biocube is 20" long. Question would 24" still work or would it look stuipd hanging over the tank 2" on both sides?
That is a pretty pimp light you linked, and a nice price on top of that!
So Nissan since you are leaning toward the T5 world would you recommend HO T5 over MH/HQI's?
If I go with HO T5's i would get this beauty, been having my eye on it for quite some time now. Also do you think i could keep sps with this light as long as i place them high up?

the bro

Found this today and wanted to share this with yall! This has to be the most Insane nano i have yet to see!
Originally Posted by GPReefer
Thanks. It was all hand made from scratch (except the skimmer & lights). It was unique, I will say that. It did have a bit of filtration under the hood. It was, um ... a little over the top. :D It was a fun project to do while I was working on the new 140. I had all of the equipment already, just found a new use for it.

the bro

Hurray my lighting upgrade finally came in the mail today. Let me tell you it was a pain! Took me about 2 hours to finshing installing the light, ballast, and new fan upgrade. Warning if you dont have patience and have a problem with little wires and screws, you will after doing one of nanotuners upgrades! But the upgrade looks awesome! It could just be me but it looks like it brought out some colors i never seen before in my corals. I believe after this upgrade the only thing i cannot put in my tank are sps.
Here's a pic after i finally got my hood all back together.
Close up of the finished product. I was suposed to trash all of the orginal reflector, but as you can see here i modded a piece of my orginal reflector to fit back into place.
Finally The Bro says LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!!

the bro

Stopped by the LFS yesterday because they got a new shipment in and i wanted to check out the selection. I ended up picking up a Sand Sifting Starfish, a single aqua colored mushroom poylp, and a small finger leather frag. Dont worry pictures coming soon! I finally got smart and started glueing frags to my rocks, rather than just wedgeing them and hopeing they stay in place.
Question: what is the best flow and lighting for a Mushroom coral? I hear that i can plce them directly on the sand and they will grow onto the sand. Is this true??

staplewho

i have a 29 gal biocube could you tell me where you got the upgrade for the lights from sure would like to get one please help an by the way nice tank thanks tom

the bro

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3263168
how the tank????
Tanks doing good im about to build a DIY Pvc overflow, and turn a 5g tank into a fuge that will fit in the bottom of my cabinet. Check out my thread" DIY Pvc Overflow".
Only thing tank has some brown algae covering alot of my sand atm. I think it could be diatom, im just gonna let its course and see if it dies off like last time. Lfs said it could becauseof the lighting upgrade. Tank kinda gotta re-adjust itself to the new light, sounded good to me so im gonna play it by ear and see how it goes. Once it clears up i want to do some new FTS so i can show ya how my tank is progressing.

staplewho

thanks bro for the site i order my upgrade can't wait till i get it think its going to work out great for my tank
thanks again

the bro

Sup? How yall been? I was taking a few pictures on my phone and thought about saltwaterfish.com and you guys and decided to drop by. So whats been up how yall been, hows the tanks? I didnt decided to go with the PVC over flow because i couldnt keep the flow coming at it steady enough to use it. My tanks doing great I have it pretty decked out, with a few things still on my wishlist: including my light and a camera that takes decent pictures. My wife halfway enjoys the hobby now since I let her name my fish! Here are some pictures of how my critters are doing
I love this nass snail hs pretty big and one of the stranges looking things up close. He even eats whole chunks of meat!

the bro

Well one of my lamps went out a few days ago which kinda sucked because the tank is only 7 months old. So i swung by the lfs and picked up a replacement. They had the regular coralife replacement for $30 like i had, but after this screw em. I picked up other bulb that didnt have all the fancy designs on the box and bought it. And boy im glad I did! The bulb glows blue and makes my critters look 100% better. Its almost like a 14k blueish color, not sure what the growth difference would be from a regular color Actinic.
I also picked up a bright green frogspawn single head but the color is great! Tried to take pics but that will have to be later the iphone is dead atm.

the bro

The ULTIMATE score... maybe?
Well i wanted to add some LR to my tank so i bought about 5 pound piece from one of my LFS display tanks. I noticed it had about 3 quarter size blueish green ricordia shrooms on it hiking. When the guy said $25 i jumped on it! I got it home and dropped in to my tank to notice it actually have 2 smaller ricordia on it also! Well damn 5 lbs of nice coralline encrusted LR and 5 ricordia i was a happy camper! Well just a little while i ago i was inspecting my new chunk of rock a little closer and i truley think i also have 2 green bubble tip Anemone's stuck to it also!! 1 is about the size of a quarter, it appears as though it has a foot and the tips are def. bubbled. There is another 1 that looks just like it but a lot smaller. If i come home from work tomorrow and they have moved spots im gonna flip!
Some1 recommend a new photo site then crappy photo bucket and ill post pics to see what yall think!

reef champ

do you have any pictures of the little anemone? It may be aiptasia which is a headache for most hobbyists... just a heads up

jelly crab

In that last pic, what is the little anemone looking thing in the top right of the rock? The yellow thing with long skiny tentacles (looks kinda like aptaisa, which is why I ask)

the bro

Originally Posted by Jelly Crab
http:///forum/post/3295866
In that last pic, what is the little anemone looking thing in the top right of the rock? The yellow thing with long skiny tentacles (looks kinda like aptaisa, which is why I ask)
Yup its an aptaisa its been on that rock since I bought my LR. Its kinda cool looking so i been just watching it grow, making sure it stays put and does not spread.