The case of the disappering fish....

new2u

i cant really see damsels killing all those fish, i know theire sobs but come one lol lets just see

danj

okay ... here is what I do know.... last week found the Hawaiian going after my last yellow tail damsel. I seperated them thought nothing of it, then it kept chasing the fire fish... that's whan I noticed the velvet damsel had tail fin damage. on monday.... the Hawaiian went nuts after the velvet. Now I was told they were territorial, & they were by far the most aggressive in the tank, but I never saw it actuallu go after another fish and harm it ... I was shocked.... I quarentined them on monday morning and took them in tonight....

benj2112

I only had a domino damsel when I first started, but I have read that damsels are one of the most aggressive fish pound for pound. I can see them killing.

d12monkey

:D We'll see.
and you're welcome DanJ. I hope that it really was the answer to your problem. Keep us posted if anything changes.

d12monkey

Filtration = Liverock and lots of it.
Skim = None, I installed 2 different ones on my system and I've had major cyano bloom upon installation. Trying to see what'll happen without one. Both times upon removing the skimmer the bloom ceased.
prob gonna get
for posting this. :D

benj2112

I know you didn’t ask me DanJ, but I usually use a canister (fuval) filter with carbon about once a month or so and that is it for mechanical filters. I do use a fluidized bed filter with Rowaphos (phosphate remover) in it all the time and love the ease of use for it. I also keep macro algae (chaetomopha) in my fuge. As far as skimmers I have a Euro Reef and love it.
That is very interesting that you get cyano blooms with a skimmer D12. I have never heard of that before. I would never go without one, but that is only because mine works so well and doesn’t cause problems. What kinds have you used?

d12monkey

The one's I've used are the one's I've had avalible to use, one is a Jebo, which actually pulled junk out great, and the other was a berlin turbo by red sea, which doesn't pull out skimate like the jebo.
That just happens to my 29 gal with 100+ lbs of live rock. I have the berlin turbo on my 55 FOWLR and it doesn't cause any blooms. :notsure: Don't know why it does on my 29 gal reef tank.
Ohh and I do have feather calupera on the refugium for the 29 gal reef.

fishy411

Originally posted by DanJ
Well here is my thought..... I've got a friend who has a 45 or 55 w/ a wood cabinet that they aregoing to give me..... so I put the sharks in that one... fish only very liitle rock, couple of snails, a hermit or two.... done.... take the new 75 move the rocks into thatone get a few more & the perculas, again the "cleanup crew" .... done. take the 29 to my office, same deal some rock & clowns & I'm done... What do you think? Good plan ..huh?? :thinking: :jumping: :cheer:

45 or 55 is still way too small for columbian sharks Please if yur not gonna take care of them right dont take care of them at all

danj

Hello to everyone ..... long time no post..... a lot has happened not all good
I had worked out a deal for a 150gal tank for the sharks, so in the mean time we moved them into the 55 1 or 2 rocks lots of room to move.... with the cold snap we just had last month, we lost power, with no filtration or heat the sharks died, they seemed to be more sensitive than the fire fish and yellowtail & royal gramma that were in the 29... I thought I lost everything!! the anemone died, the fish went into hiding when the power came back the next day, I thought I was going to have a mess on my hands. But I've moved on .... I was sad for a while those sharks were 3yrs old. I've put away the 55, restarted the 29, found I still had 3 fish!!!! I got a couple of true percullas and keeping it small. Got new lights 36" 96watt 24 hour lighting ...... wow really cool!!! had to take the top off though, I couldn't open it with the lights mounted on top. I've got a new anemone, would like to find a mated pair of percula but another time... I got from my LFS a twin spot wrasse though he is small I probably won't keep him, it was a gift but he'll get too big for my 29, before to long. well I've got to go ... be in touch ... greaat to hear from some of you again!!! :D

patricia

Dan:
I'm in total disbelief. I have 4 tanks set up (freshwater) and I am always on the net researching when I'm ready to buy more fish. I'm in this forum because when I do start my saltwater, I want the advice of those who have them and who have experience, (along with professional advice). I know you mentioned that everyone is focusing on the overcrowding, but that is what your tank's main problem is.
Also, in a freshwater tank, it is 1 inch of fish for every gallon. However saltwater is different. Like mentioned before, 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons.
PLEASE remember this, not only do you want to protect your fish because they are costly, but more importantly, they are living beings that need taken care of and made as comfortable as possible in an artificial environment.
I know I'm a little late chiming in, but I hope this helps. In this hobby, how every fish feels is very important.:nervous: