The "DO NOT..." Advice List for Saltwater Aquarists

reefkprz

DO NOT go to the store with a weak will and a credit card that has zero balance. you will max it out.
DO NOT rush. the only thing that happens real quick in this hobby is disaster.
DO NOT forget to research EVERYTHING your going to put in your tank before it gets into your tank.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Redsnapper
DO NOT buy fish from *****!!!
I really like this one. My comment; except for the preceding;1.) DO NOT accept most (I almost said "any") things on this site as absolute law. There is a reason this is called a FORUM.2.) Speaking from experience, DO NOT mess with your hand in the tank without knowing the whereabouts of your very tame lionfish!

brandan

DO NOT tell people where to buy fish!
i.e. "do not buy from *****"
You could voice your opinion instead of telling people that a LFS sucks and their fish WILL die. A vendor sometimes has little control over the fish they receive.
DO NOT put 100 Turbo Snails in a 55gallon b/c a website says thats what you need. You will NEVER see ANYTHING BUT SNAILS.

m0nk

Originally Posted by widowmaker
DO NOT listen to other posters that say you shouldn't be in this hobby just because you made a mistake......if asked, i doubt they are perfect.
Definitely a good one for some to keep in mind.

wcroft987

do not eat freeze dried omega one shrimp... i talked my buddy into eating one and he about threw up, but i had a laugh for the next week
do not stick your nose in the skimmer scum catch to see how it smells... i talked the same friend into smelling the overflow cup and spilled alittle on him and did it stink

becky913

Originally Posted by flamehawk
1-DO NOT OVERCROWD....this is the number cause of stress and death of fish and leads to many hobbiest giving up.
2- DO NOT OVERCROWD
3-DO NOT OVERCROWD.......I guess you get the point.
How many inches of fish is recomended in a reef tank?

grabbitt

Originally Posted by Becky913
How many inches of fish is recomended in a reef tank?
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think standard set is 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons of water.

wangotango

Originally Posted by GRabbitt
Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think standard set is 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons of water.
that's about right, but the size and waste production of the fish also plays an important part.
DO NOT hook your top-off up to an endless supply of FW. your $5 float switch WILL fail and your top-off WILL continue to pump FW into your system untill the unit burns out. it WILL take you an entire sunday to bring the sg back up to 1.026

DO NOT waste your money on several other smaller setups when you're just going to upgrade.
-Justin

grubsnaek

dont keep reading the same kind of threads then go and ask the same question cause you didnt find the answer you wanted.

wangotango

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
dont keep reading the same kind of threads then go and ask the same question cause you didnt find the answer you wanted.
thankyou
-Justin

widowmaker

DO NOT : show off your $100+ dollar fish to the wife...WHEN she notices it, just tell her that those other 2 fish must have mated....
yea.....mine didn't believe me either!

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by john reed
http:///forum/post/519415
HERE'S ANOTHER ONE HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT YOUR LIVE BRINE SHRIMP CAN CARRY DISEASES TO YOUR FISH? EVER SINCE I SWITCHED TO FROZEN BRINE HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS
Which brings us to Bill's rule of quarantine:
If it's wet QT it.

Most people QT fish (I assume) because the ICH parasite needs a fish to host it but remember that there are three stages to the beastie's life cycle:
-on the fish
-on the substrate (or a rock, a snail, a crab, or wherever they fall)
-in the water.
Many people forget about 2 and 3! I even have a QT for coral with a MH on it. Fortunately without fish being present the total time required in the QT is less than 2 weeks so you can have an abbreviated QT period.
You want live brine? Hatch it youself, it's easy!

lauremf2002

Do not assume you have the self control to stick to a budget in saltwater
which leads me to my next:
Do not EVER tally what you spend each month on your aquarium...I was appalled I even have that much left over after bills to spend