The "DO NOT..." Advice List for Saltwater Aquarists

saltymom

Do not bring home 50 gallons of water and 90lbs of LS/LR in the back of your truck, and then park a block down the street from where you actually live b/c the nieghbors have taken up all the parking spots in front of your own house.
Your SO will eventually start B*$%in' then you will
"on yer own"
..decide that it really is just to far to pack all that water anyway
Do not pull up in the middle of the road in front of your house and start wailin on the horn and hollerin like a hilljack
..as the police report states to
"Get the nieghbors to come out and move all these friggen cars!"
Youll be distrubing the peace!! And just because you own your home... you Dont own the street infront of your own house!
BTW The spd has a TWO minute response time!
Do not spray windex on your tank glass...spray it on the paper towel, in another room then polish the glass.

brit0211

DO NOT read posts from SWF.com at school when you should be studying for your finals and working on projects that are 40% of your grade...:rolleyes:
DO NOT tell all of your friends at school that you aren't going lunch because your too busy working on your projects when you're really saving money for your new hobby ..... ahhhhhhh
DO NOT tell your grandma you're going to start a saltwater tank ... she'll go get you a nice goldfish or some other fish before you even have your tank set up ... (this ALMOST happened but i said, " grandma why dont you just buy me this nice book so i can learn about saltwater tanks before i do anything..) whew..
one more thing...
DO tell your parents you need HUGE tank to begin with so when you talk them into a 55 or 75 they'll be much happier....
i know this thread is from a LONG time ago, but its great!

dacia

DO tell your parents you need HUGE tank to begin with so when you talk them into a 55 or 75 they'll be much happier....
DO NOT expect them to understand this because all parents think that a 10 gallon tank is easier to take care of than 110 gallon tanks...or is it that they are thinking of cash only???

jedininja

Do Not stop posting in this thread!

Do not think that plants are a cure all. :confused:
Do not belive it when someone tells you that a skimmer doesn't do any good. :notsure:
Do not forget to buy a good book on keeping saltwater when you are a newbie. :help:
Do not eat your fish after they have passed away.

Do not eat your mantis shrimp. But if you are ever in Asia, definatly do go to a restaraunt that serves them. Better than any lobster you can ever have.

Do Not stop posting in this thread!

iloveclowns

DO NOT put emrald crabs with decorator crabs:nope:
DO NOT listen to any one at *****( you might end up with a yellow tang in a 37)

S

sinner's girl

"Do not let mother in law spray for bugs while you're moving a tank" I'm restating this one. I'm now spending my time cleaning said tank because my 55gl fish need a new home in the 75gl tank. I'm going to be stressed and worried about the stupid bug spray. I'm doing my best to clean it, but since we can't lift the tank and take it outside, there are limits to what we can do.
More importantly, do not place the tank in a place you'll never be. Do not let your pitiful life become more important than your fish.
Sorry fish and stars.
Do not forget to get all the free lr you can carry while on a cruise (~40 lbs free, jamaic, mexico, and grand caymand!)

cindyski

DO NOT let SO pull algae out of the tank and stick it in a container in place you wouldnt think to look and just leave it there.
i wondered what that awful smell in my house was :eek: :eek:

ashleigh

This is fun! Don't pull out the chisle and hammer to a piece of LR because you thought your trigger was stuck. What a headache he must have had afterward! I thought I was saving him...no one told me about the "trigger".

T

tizzo

Do Not expect your spouse (if he's the only one with the income) to enjoy this hobby anywhere near as much as you do!!

stapler

DO NOT put your hand in the tank and play with the fish. I have a buddy who thought it was cool to grab the fish and hold them in his palm to show people.
Did I mention that he is also having a hard time keeping a fresh water tank running?

gdamador

:eek: Do NOT go out and buy an Elegance Coral at a "reduced price of $70" and not know what it really needs to survive!
Sadly, I DID do this! Never again!
This thread has been absolutely hilarious!!!!:D :D :D :D

jeepboy

DO NOT get in such a rush to remove damsels from the tank that you place your live rock in freshwater instead of saltwater. Makes a great mini cycle.