The "DO NOT..." Advice List for Saltwater Aquarists

briang

Do Not let your children go to the LFS with you to buy more food...may be more costly than expected! Do Not EVER let your spouse know how much your food trip cost! :mad:

ronipa

DO NOT ever try and talk SW with just "anybody"... they'll think you are obsessed and without a life :yes:
DO NOT buy enigineer gobies because they look like cute little black and white snakes..... those suckers GROW!:yes:
Roni

velvetsea

DO NOT...
Think that you'll be saving money by getting a 12 gallon tank when you're new to fishkeeping.
Ignore the pesky peppermint shrimp when moving the LR around to clean the tank (smoosh).
Listen to the LFS advice that you should "just shoot some brine shrimp at your Lawnmower Blenny" to feed him. He will turn into a neurotic grey ribbon, then die.
Make up your own sea water with filtered water and salt mixture and assume that your pH will be anything greater than 7.7.

brownleaf

DO NOT argue with your wife while work on your tank.:nope: She almost turn my tank into fish soup instantly w/ hot water!:nervous:

rbmount

Originally posted by LV-Reefer
If you used Damsels to cycle tank and are trying to get them out. DO NOT let friend use BB gun to hunt down the Damsels. :mad:
Shotgun good!!!!
You can get more with one shot!

swlover

Do not make light of anyone's problems, always help.
Do not walk away from syponing..like answering the door, phone etc.
Do not On your way out to fancy dinner date look at your tank one last time..then Do not "feel" behind rock work because you think something has fallen..little crabs will pinch you, startel you and you will smack your elbow on the light, which in turn, the light will fall and you will nearly electricute yourself by the the light falling into the tank, then as your trying to stop the light from falling in you slosh water all down the front of your good clothes..and your S/O will say "what the heck are you doing???" As you stand there dripping with a horrable and guilty look on your face
..trust me they will not understand.

blake1991

DO NOT listen to people when they tell you that all *****'s are bad, the one near me is very helpfull and i have never had any problems there

hatessushi

Do Not post on this thread any more. It's getting old and things are repeated throughout and some of the posts are just flat wrong.

J

jrthomas40

Do not over REACT but do act quickly...to sick fish or poor water conditions

H

huskychasrs

Do not Repeat Do not:
Go buy a tank and think you can buy some salt and have a saltwater tank.
I am guilty...but slowed down and learning.
Good thread!

eaglewonj

Do not go to the LFS and look around for hours and proceed to tell each person who misidentifies a fish what kind it really is and how it won't be happy in their little tank....
Also, do not seem to know too much in the LFS because then the people keep finding you and asking you more questions.....
Do not try to explain to your mom what live rock is.....she will not understand why it is 9.99 a pound for funny colored wet rock....
Do not let other people think you are crazy as you find every single specimen of the species you want and run back and forth to compare them and find the healthiest one. Most will not understand why you look so closely to find the perfect healthy fish.
Do not let the other customers hear you sigh or growl or see you roll your eyes as they make potentially dangerous/wrong decisions regarding fish..... such as ....dory (blue hippo tang) will be fine in your 10 gallon tank dear (I let my WHAT come out a little too loud).

thud

DO NOT put a gallon of clorox bleach into your tank, it WILL NOT remove nitrates...
I learned the hard way....

X

xnikki118x

Originally Posted by Melody
Ok got cha on the "record thread" OT: Blondenaso1 / people behind the post.
So was Mr. Bubble and the giant sponge the most infamous thread...it had to be!! :D :D Maybe I thought it was the longest from reading the whole silly thing. hehehe... It was a wacky thread!!
I can't find this thread, what/where is it?
DO NOT try buy the cheaptest tank/setup you can afford with plans to upgrade when you get the money. Just save and get everything you want from the start!

ejensen

Originally Posted by thud
DO NOT put a gallon of clorox bleach into your tank, it WILL NOT remove nitrates...

I learned the hard way....

Are you serious????

flabeano

DO NOT trust the settings on a heater. (test first)
DO NOT let a LFS guilt you into anything. :)
DO NOT drop anything into your tank that will land in your carpet anenome.
DO NOT confuse top off water with water change water ... dead sea anyone?
DO NOT try to explain to you mother in law how a refugium works.
DO ALWAYS destroy or hide ALL receipts and NEVER charge you purchase. :)

a sea k

I posted this last Sunday at 1:30 AM and was advised to bring it here.
Do Not paint any of the pvc in your tank if you plan on keeping sea urchins. ( mine decided to eat the corraline off the pvc and ate paint and all. He is still fine as of today)
Do Not purchase a star fish at 6:00 in the afternoon. (this is why I was still up at 1:30 in the morning)

widowmaker

DO NOT let your 3 year old put the family dog in your 240 gal., just because "he looked hot daddy"....
DO NOT take your skimmer scum and tell your wife you're going to make "an awesome chowder with this internet recipe i found"......
DO NOT use any other online store.....SWF.com is all any of us need....
DO NOT listen to other posters that say you shouldn't be in this hobby just because you made a mistake......if asked, i doubt they are perfect.
DO NOT think there are any "one time purchases".....except for the various size containers used to hold the water and life stock. everything else requires purchase after purchase.....
DO enjoy your stuff......it's yours and you deserve it!