The "DO NOT..." Advice List for Saltwater Aquarists

broncofish

Originally posted by RyeBread
DO NOT listen to everyone on the internet. ;)

Why I don't use RO/DI and my tank extremely succseful...I use a single stage RO:D but no DI
1ST rule of Fish club is you do not talk about fish club
2nd rule fish club is you do NOT TALK ABOUT FISH CLUB
sorry for some reason this thread just remined me of that

lesleybird

Originally posted by ReefNut
DO NOT tell your significant other how much you spend each week. :cool:

Excellent advise! My husband has no idea how much I spend....He only gets upset when I buy jewelry. If he only knew that I spent $59 on a excelllent piece of open brain coral! In fact, I keep it from myself how much I spend. I never really total it up each month or I would probably be upset. Even I don't really know how much I have blown on this hobby! Thank God I have a good job with my own money. Lesley

lesleybird

Originally posted by EelfreakRobi
DO NOT keep your tank in an AC room if you live in warm tropical weather(change of temp.)

Wait, did I miss something? I live in Houston and if I did not keep the tank in a room with AC the tank would fry at 100 degrees plus??
Lesley

lesa

Lesliebird that is a good one, My husband thinks fiji lr cost $1.99 a pound;) Now I wonder where he got that idea:D

karajay

DO NOT expect to get everything right the first time you start a SW tank........unless you got to this board first! ;)

john reed

LETS TRY AGAIN, POSTED THIS IN WRONG AREA. IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 1 TANK YOU NEED SEPERATE NETS FOR EACH TANK ALMOST WIPED OUT ALL MY FISH IN MY 100 GALLON FO TANK CARRYING INCH FROM MY 65 REEF TANK

john reed

HERE'S ANOTHER ONE HAS ANYONE HEARD THAT YOUR LIVE BRINE SHRIMP CAN CARRY DISEASES TO YOUR FISH? EVER SINCE I SWITCHED TO FROZEN BRINE HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS

bigred

DO NOT put the water from the bag containing fish/coral in your tank.
DO NOT touch brissel worms! very painful.

drakken

1ST rule of Fish club is you do not talk about fish club
2nd rule fish club is you do NOT TALK ABOUT FISH CLUB
[/B]
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!

Originally posted by Lesleybird
Wait, did I miss something? I live in Houston and if I did not keep the tank in a room with AC the tank would fry at 100 degrees plus??Lesley

I wanted to say that when I started at this hobby outside temperature was about 90-100, and in the night when the AC went on the temperature in the tank would go from 74-84!!! huge temp swing which killed my fishes, then I got a chiller and not one has died.

cgr

DO NOT try to explain to a coworker what a live rock is. They'll ask you if it moves.
And never tell how much you paid for that rock !!!!

the claw

Do not hand feed your pet mantis shrimp. They don't speaka very good englese, and take hand feed literally.

the claw

Thought of another one:
Don't get excited about those cute little anenomes that came out of your live rock, and watch them multiply until all of a sudden you have them all over your tank.

kev

DO NOT add copper to a tank you plan on having inverts in. Copper will never come out of your tank, and you'll never be able to keep LR/LS, inverts, or corals in that tank again!!! I messed this one up a while back when I started and now have a FOWSULR(Fish Only With Screwed Up Live Rock!!!) BTW: The LFS employee told me that coppersafe was called coppersafe because its safe for LR, and inverts... LOL :D

killafins

Originally posted by MaroonClownFan
Do not put your head in your tank to get a fish eye view.
MCF

Haha... i did that when i was younger at a friends house. I was swimming with goggles and they had a fresh water tank so i stuck it it... of course i wasn't tall enough but anyways.... end of dumb story.
DO NOT buy fish from ***** or ask their advise
Disagree... DO NOT buy from someone you do not completely trust. Monitor there tanks... have talks with them... feel them about before buying. I must admit, some people at the ***** near me are complete morons but others are brilliant....

cb

Do Not buy livestock just because you think you would like to have it. Research it first and make sure you can take care of it......