The Garden Thread

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/395854/the-garden-thread#post_3525362
I don't have any ripe tomatoes yet, I can't wait. I'm a fiend for fresh garden tomatoes. I mostly grow a strain I got from my Grandma, they rule!
I have a few that are getting close to being ready for fried green tomatoes:

OMG, I was thinking fried green tomatoes the second I saw that baby. yummmy

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've believe I've seen that spider in my own yard. What is it, do you know?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
According to a very reliable source, Wikipedia, the spider is a female black and yellow garden spider. The male is not as nice to look at.

I actually am not generally afraid of spiders and actually like them, so that is why I was especially curious.

bang guy

We had tomato sandwiches yesterday! Woot!! yummy
Here's the butternut taking over the peas. The peas are late due to constant trimming by a Woodchuck so this year is a fail for the peas. Normally, I am able to harvest all of the peas before the Butternut take over.

bang guy

Toasted sourdough
home-made mayo
thick slices of tomato
You can't do it with commercial tomatoes because they have no flavor.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've gotten some pretty good tomatoes on road stands or at Publix during season. Good enough to just eat the tomato.

I don't even know where to start. I literally have hundreds and hundreds of plants in my yard. I'm always planting something. I spend a minimum of 8 hours every week watering my plants. Here's a little sample:

Bradford pear trees in front of my house on April 1st this year. They are one of the first things to bloom, and let me know that Spring is on it's way!

A small sample of some of my succulents. I literally have hundreds of these.

More succulents.

One of my favorite succulents. We've had it probably a decade, and this past year was the first time I seen it bloom like this.

I went Japanese maple crazy this year. I planted 7 different varities in my yard this year. This is a Red Dragon.

Here's an Inaba Shidare Japanese Maple I planted last Fall.

I have several Desert Roses. These are probably my favorite plants.

One part of my deck on my end of the house. The deck wraps around the back, and I've got it full of plants like this.

>
I bought this Lilac bush for like $1 last summer when it was knocking on deaths door. It has came back this year, and is beautiful.

Hostas & Oriental Lilies around an oak tree.

Some of my hydrangeas.

deejeff442

fatty dont feel bad i spent over $150 on top soil and maricle grow this year and the crop was horrible. fed my chickens most of it. although the eggs they lay are awesome.trade off i guess. now i have a pot belly pig and she will eat the rest. pathetic year for my garden

The soil and mulch is where they get you! I have been working his year on some plants beds behind my house. I had over a hundred dollars in mulch in them. My dad's chickens got into them. Now there is no mulch left in the bed, and they ripped all the black plastic in the beds out. I literally about plucked me some chickens that night. It's pretty frustrating!
The best time to buy plants around here is at the end of July and August when it's too hot to plant anything. Most big chain retailers are marking their plants way down to get rid of them. You can buy them now, and plant them this Fall. I've done that for the past several years, and it's really changed the way my yard looks.

snakeblitz33

I have been making compost for five years now. I have three or four tons of it this year for the large garden. Enrichment with pigeon manure helps a lot!!