The Garden Thread

beth

Administrator
Staff member
fattytwo, I am so jealous of being able to keep all those potted plants. Do you have to bring them in during winter?? I don't have enough good light coming into my house, and I'm just not great with proper care of potted plants.
Some of my growth in Key West property. These were all no more the 3' when I planted them. Hurricane Wilma 2005 wiped out all of my shrubs, 2 large bird of paradise and a giant travelers palm that were against back fence. Bad quality pictures.

Wilma saltwater flood destruction same area in back yard.

I do have to bring them in during the winter. I live in zone 7a. The winters are hot, and the winters are cold. LOL. I have a glassed in back porch that I keep a lot of them on. Some go in the garage. I love the tropicals. Not used to seeing them in the ground! You need to plant some Jade. I have mine in containers, but in a climate like that, they'd be awesome in the ground!

That's a nice lilac bush @ Bang Guy. I'm hoping mine start to bush out like that. I also have some butterfly bushes that look similar to that lilac bush and are starting to shape up like that. I have always heard to deadhead them, and they'd bloom from Spring to Fall. I never had in the past, but last week I did, and the blooms this week are unreal. I wish the lilacs would bloom all summer down here like that.
Do any of y'all have crepe myrtles? The reason I ask is because they are in bloom right now, and are in almost every yard and business in my town. They are beautiful, but we take them for granted because there are so many around. I was at work and had a couple come up to me and ask what those pretty bushes in our parking lot were. They were talking about the crepe myrtles. They couple was from out of state, and had never seen anything like them until they came to Arkansas. So I was just wondering if crepe myrtles were typically a southern plant, or if y'all had as many around as we do.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The city I live in was planted with loads of crepes. The street avenues and sidewalks have loads. Fortunately, the city itself knows how to care for them, but unfortunately many businesses and residents lop off all the branches every single year which is a big shame.

I agree! They do that around here to make them "look like trees." I try not to prune much in my yard, only if it's a safety issue really. I love to let things grow natural.

snakeblitz33

Thats a pretty big jalepeno! Very nice, thanks for sharing.
I'm getting my beds ready for the second season. I have to add some more dirt to my raised beds and kill some weeds - but it's coming along.

How's everybody's summer going? Usually it is 110 in Arkansas right now. But we are having a very mild summer this year. It is in the 70's today, & I have the windows in the house open. I can never remember being able to do that in August.
We've also had a lot of rain. I've not had to water my outdoor plants in 2 and a half weeks. Usually in August I'm having to water a plant every other day. But my plants are loving the weather, & so am I.

bang guy

It's been just about perfect. I've been in the pool almost every day since late June. We usually only get a week or two of warm weather here.

It's actually not been hot enough for us to get in the pool. About 85 degrees is a good starting temperature, and then it's awesome when it's like 110. And usually humidity is a huge problem down here, but it's been nice. I dunno if that means we are in for a bad winter or what. Last summer we had a horrible drought. But it really makes me appreciate years like this one.

Oh, I do have a question. Does having potted plants indoors affect your tank? I was reading something really late the other night online, and someone suggested that it would. I keep plants in this room because I think that they are good for your health and actually put oxygen back in the air. I am not sure the correct term they had for it, but it had to do with the gas exchange in the tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have never heard of that one before and I can't imagine any validity to that claim.