The I Hate Cheaters (Barry Bonds) Thread

rylan1

Originally Posted by crimzy
I would probably agree with this. We've all heard the rumors about Clemens. But I don't think that pitchers would get any additional power from roids. May be, as you say, for recovery than performance enhancement. But Bonds definitely did enjoy enhanced performance from his substance use. Combine this with his general bad attitude and the fact that he just broke the greatest record in sport and you get a large target for criticism.
I agree, I just feel that the era and MLB is equally responsible. I know that Bonds is the figurehead because he is the best player; however, Selig is a complete hypocrite who trying to wash his hands but he simply can not and should be blamed becasue he knew what was going on and encouraged it. This all came about because baseball was trying to resurrect their viewership and their former past time mystique that was lost after the strike. I think that many baseball players do/did this and that the era should be noted but not individual records noted with an *...
They issue roids for all sorts of reasons and they do not necessarily always make you exceptionally bigger, unless you work out alot

rylan1

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Here's something to consider... Even with all those Home Runs, Bonds still has about 800 fewer base hits than Aaron. One could reasonably assume that many of the balls Bonds hit should have landed in the field of play and didn't because he overpowered them with drugs and the parks are a lot smaller. Considering he had so many more hits than Bonds, one wonders how many HRs Aaron would have had if he played in this era.
That may be true, I still don't think you can take the #'s away. Just realize that these occured during different times. You can use various records from different times in sports for example take the 100 yard dash. Jessie Owens once had the record at 10.2... the record now is 9.77... this does not diminish the record and the achievement, I believe that he was the best in his day and due to advancements and etc.... that he could have run faster possibably then today's athletes but really who will ever know? With Babe Ruth... we could argue that he was not the best player in his day or that he may not have as many HR's if he played against black players... Point is that even though Bonds broke this record, Aaron will still be recongized as a HR King and his legacy will actually be reinforced and not tarnished. Bonds should be congradulated for his milestone because he is a great player.

rylan1

Originally Posted by AdroitMind
Training and getting bigger over the years is what athletes do. Their muscles get bigger their waistlines get bigger, it's all part of decades of training and the aging process. However Barry's head and feet also grew. No amount of training can make your shoe size increase 3 sizes, or your hat size increase by 2 after your 30th birthday.
Did you know your ears grow continually for your whole life?

rbaldino

Originally Posted by Rylan1
Bonds should be congradulated for his milestone because he is a great player.
Who cheated.

ruaround

Did you know your ears grow continually for your whole life?
everyones
ears and nose continue to grow thoughout their life... what point are you trying to make???

rylan1

Originally Posted by ruaround
everyones
ears and nose continue to grow thoughout their life... what point are you trying to make???

no point

rylan1

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Who cheated.
if everyone is cheating and it wasn't regulated then who has the advantage? All I'm saying that his stats do deserve some merit. That guy racks it

rbaldino

if everyone is cheating and it wasn't regulated then who has the advantage? All I'm saying that his stats do deserve some merit. That guy racks it
Again, you're saying "everyone" without any real proof. How many pitchers has Bonds homered off of? About 450? How many of them have either been caught or admitted to using performance enhancing drugs? What other batters have done has no bearing on Bonds' home run numbers.

ruaround

it was regulated though...back in 1991 the commish sent a letter to every player... its mentioned already in this thread... going back to an old saying my parents used to say "if everyone else is jumping off a cliff would you do it too???" because others were doping doesnt mean its okay for bonds to do it...