The move..... from planning to completion.

cranberry

Well, it's finally underway. Lender and Realtor in our pocket. Credit reports ran. W2s, tax forms, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc...... etc etc etc etc etc etc, located.
We're going to look at a house.....
*looks at all her tanks and cries*

cranberry

I saw the house I want!
I'm disappointed though, because who finds the right house first time out... something is going to go wrong. Perfect places to put tanks inside. An, OMG, detached fish house. I mean it's awesome. I could have broke down and wept. The front yard is ubber sweet and back hard is crazy original and has a yard beyond a yard. Back there is a perfect world with a lemon tree, another citrus (probably lime) and an apricot and maybe a peach and a plum tree (hard to ID all because some are not blooming). Across the street is a huge avocado tree.
It's vacant and ready to be bought! And there's a very good reason why it hasn't been snapped up.... someone recently died in it and a lot of local cultures think that is a bad omen, of sorts. It's info the Realtor has to disclose, which I find very interesting. It was a little old lady who wanted to come home to die. I told her to create a lot of noise if other people came to look and I would treat her garden like a baby. :)
Negative side... 2 high pitched yappy dogs next door.... but wait until they meet my deaf Beagle. I'm sure they'll be begging for a compromise.

meowzer

LOL..every hear of love at first sight????? I think it applies to house too....
It sounds great....does it have a guest room :)

S

shrimpy brains

Sounds awesome! If it's meant to be, all will work out!
But.......moving all those tanks..............

cranberry

Originally Posted by Shrimpy Brains
http:///forum/post/3259904
But.......moving all those tanks..............

INORITE!!
It also has the perfect place for solar panels that you can not see easily and would be on the building behind the house on the back :)

bill109

any tips on how to move a tank?
i am relocating as well unfortunetly. it really sux. but ill have to move 100lbs of rock/sand a million $ worth or corals
and all my stuff. not looking foward to it. finally got the tank looking gooooood and now gotta move. got any game plans?

ibanez

I have some advice being that I just bought a 90 gallon and relocated it 3 hours away, the problem I ran into was not starting making water soon enough. I bought a 50 gallon garbage can for water and but my rodi only does 50 gallons a day, plus you cant fill the garbage can. So, make sure you have enough water where you go to fill your tank up when you get there. Depending on the size of the tank, you may be able to leave the sand and a little water in the bottom. Buy rubbermade containers for the live rock, and also one for fish, and I would bag your corals in water and styrofoam just like you were going to ship them except maybe a few more to each bag. Then pack them in towels in a rubbermade. But that is if your going some distance. If you arent going too far, I would just lay the corals out on the bottom of the rubbermade with just enough water to cover them, and drive real slow, remove the liverock from the tank, put the fish in there own container.......

cranberry

Originally Posted by bill109
http:///forum/post/3261055
got any game plans?
Ya... I'm calling a tank maintenance service my friend owns and him and his crew are coming to move everything (except the fish).
These people service the 5 million dollar homes in the area... I trust he's guuud.
The fish are going to be moved by my hubby and myself.
So far we have 10 portable pumps and enough batteries to change them out 3 times. We also have an inverter to run the piston pump, if need be. We have about 10 styro fish shipping boxes we've been saving up. Have some heavy mil bags for those fish we'll bag up, others will travel in containers. Containers for making about 200g of water and a 300gpd rated RO/DI.
The move itself will be a sit down plan. It's 13 tanks, irreplaceable fish and a whole lot of love. It needs to be done right.
Meeting with the Lender's tomorrow.

i<3reefs

I buy 2 to 3 aquariums a year from people who are moving. I have several 5 gallon jugs that I use to save their water. I make up a 20% water change in advance, and use a cooler to move the fish and corals. I use rubbermaid totes to move the sand and the liverock. I've never had a problem with anything but anemones on moves. Anymore I just take any anemone I acquire directly to the LFS. I think we would all be shocked if we saw what corals and fish go through to make it to us in the first place.
However, it is a very dirty job, but fun for those who like tearing down aquariums.

cranberry

You taught me well, Henry. I reserve it for special occasions.
This move is going to be "special" when compared to my other moves because of the massive amount of tank that we've accumulated. Then to throw in there that the fish are venomous and irreplaceable in some instances... increases the pressure.
If I was throwing a tank or two into the car, that would be one thing.
We have officially put fish buying on hold unless we see some of the rarer ones on our list.

bill109

13 tanks?
im hoping that was a type- o?! hahaha
i cant imagine 13 tanks to move. i know you have some pretty serious stuff, from posted pics but how do you care for 13 tanks? it must be a full time job.

meowzer

Originally Posted by bill109
http:///forum/post/3261338
13 tanks?
im hoping that was a type- o?! hahaha
i cant imagine 13 tanks to move. i know you have some pretty serious stuff, from posted pics but how do you care for 13 tanks? it must be a full time job.

AHAHHAHAHHA..and you made fun of me for having 6...lol...AND NO....it's not a typo they really have that many

S

shrimpy brains

6? 225g, 54g, 29g, what am I missing? Thought you only had 3.

life~reefer

The fruit/vegetable trees sound great! Hope everything goes smooth! I bet that is going to be one tiring and stressful day. Hope everything makes it and remains healthy.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3261348
I have 3 SW (4 if you include the 10G hypo tank) and 3 FW...a 55G, 46G, and 16G :)
That's right. I forgot about the FW tanks. Also, didn't realize you had 3. You should give us some pics. Others have put FW tanks on here lately!