The New Grooming Bus

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/100#post_3369331
My friend who used to own Fish Wish had a 100% markup on fish, sometimes more if the supplier had a special on it. She would have a weekly "sale" fish that would be discounted to about 75%.
I think the recession changed the way many LFS's do business. I am no longer seeing the stores stocking alot of dry goods like they used to.
While internet shopping is convenient, for me it doesn't replace the going into the store and seeing things for myself. It's nice to see the fish eat and to see the size. I can see several fish and have the opportunity to take the smaller one or the one with brighter coloration.
Agree, which is probably why I have yet to make a purchase for any livestock online. I want to hand pic what I am getting and look for the healthiest specimines. I probably will do some online purchasing once my other system is ready to go but more than likely it will all be WYSIWYG stuff. And besides, who doesn't like just popping into the lfs every now and then just to look around?
The stores down here for the most part have to moved to the request system. Instead of keeping alot of stock on hand they'll just order what you're looking for if you request it.
I really like this new place though. They do alot of their own breeding and aqua culter which probably helps cut some of the cost. And consiquentially is probably why they have much better prices and why they've become so popular in town. Pluss, everything about their operation is wide open for all to see. You can walk around and check out their breeding tanks and quarantine tanks where they treat all incoming fish for two weeks, you can browse their notes and schedules for treatement dosages, times and water changes as well as salinity and specific gravity level. They pretty much do it how I would like to see it done if I were ever to venture into the business.

monsinour

Well, the really hard work is now done on the bus. Everything from this point forward will be completely cosmetic/groomingness ready. I knew it was going to be hard to drill 1/8" holes into 12 guage stainless steel. I never would have thought I would have broken 4 bits though. 3 of the bits were my fault as I tried to "He-Man" them in. Today I got the veggie oil and went slowly. The bit that broke today was a Hitatchi 'Black Gold' bit that was listed as 2x stronger than titanium. Considering the 3 bits that broke before were titanium, I didnt think it would break. Shows what I know. I then got a Rayobi bit to make the 6 holes in the stainless. This bit made the stainless seem like hardwood and not steel. Should have used those bits the first time around. I got the furnace moved into proper place and it works great. I still have to put on the ductwork to keep things from freezing. I have a leak or 2 to fix today and I think the missus has some wiring/neatening up for me to do today. It is about a week to 2 weeks away from going on the market.
I did some research into used Ryder trucks and the best price I can find is on 4 - 6 year old Ford E350s with anywhere from 125,000 to 160,000 miles on them for around $10K. Not sure if we could afford that or get a loan for it, but it certainly would be nice. The box would all be wooden and that would make it so easy for me to convert. The issues would be the high floor of the box as far as getting dogs in and out. Dogs typically dont like ramps and some dogs wont use the stairs we have. Eventually, things will go right and who knows, maybe the money needed for this will fall out of the sky, LOL.

reefraff

Some of those trucks had the low floors but I am not sure if they were the smaller sizes like you are looking for

monsinour

Most of the Ryder trucks that are listed as "parcel" trucks are the 16 foot box truck variety. They also have what is listed as a "city" truck but that has an Izusu front end on it and not the Ford. We will be looking around for something. Wife found a high top E350 locally. Going to have to check things out before we get started on the conversion.

monsinour

So the new bus has a problem. I am looking for opinions on the 7.3 deisel engine.
I purchased a code reader as the check engine light is on. Following the instructions for the code reader, it comes up with 0 codes. Scrolling through the menus on the code reader it says misfire. We too the bus in for an oil change to a shop that I dont trust at all. The wife likes them and insists on using them. After the oil change, on the next use of the vehicle, there was a sudden loss of power. Upon getting home, I looked at it and its almost as if the engine has dropped a cyclinder or 2. There could be a problem with the fuel as well. pumping the gas has no effect either. the recall work hasnt been done acording to the website. the recall work is for the speed control system. could the 2 be related?

darthtang aw

Possibly. If you have a misfire code you need to change spark plugs wire harness and maybe the o2 sensor. That would be the easiest place to start.

2quills

You might have a hard time changing spark plugs on a diesel since they don't have them. Some diesels have a single spark plug for ignition but I don't think yours does. It could be time to change the glow plugs though. They still work alot like spark plugs do.

darthtang aw

You might have a hard time changing spark plugs on a diesel since they don't have them. Some diesels have a single spark plug for ignition but I don't think yours does. It could be time to change the glow plugs though. They still work alot like spark plugs do.

Glow plugs....spark plugs.....same principle......been a couple decades since I have dealt with diesel.
Darth (been corrected) Tang

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/120#post_3380506
Glow plugs....spark plugs.....same principle......been a couple decades since I have dealt with diesel.
Darth (been corrected) Tang
It's all good. But you're right. If he's destecting a missfire that would be a good/cheap place to start. Typically the glow plugs should be changed out after 30,000 miles or so on a diesel.

monsinour

so no one thinks it could be the recall work that needs to be done? I forgot how much it was to do the glow plugs on the old one, but I dont think it was cheap. I am kinda tired of things going wrong on our grooming vehicles.

reefraff

More than likely it's the injector harness. The plastic clip that hold the connector in place becomes brittle and breaks off and lets the connector come lose. If that is the case it should throw a code while it's happening. If that's the issue you can remove the valve cover to get to it. I believe they sell a retrofit kit to fix that. Being gimped I couldn't do mine, 600 bux to have the harness replaced.

reefraff

There are several diesel forums on line where you can get toubleshooting help. There is a buzz test you can do to go right to the problem injector.

monsinour

wife was told :
"wiring going to #7 injector - which is part of the vavle cover gasket - needs replacing. $750 to fix it."
I have never seen a valve cover gasket incorperate anything into it ever. This makes no sense what so ever. Does anyone else smell BS?
edit: Damn. In my quest to make this shop the problem creators and ripper offers, i forgot about reefraff's post. It now makes more sense. Its too bad The wife said to go ahead to them and do it. I am sure I could have done this. Oh well. Once it is fixed, Got to take it to the dealship for the recall work. Second question, kinda first really, is there a chilton for this 01 e450 econoline?

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/120#post_3381266
wife was told :
"wiring going to #7 injector - which is part of the vavle cover gasket - needs replacing. $750 to fix it."
I have never seen a valve cover gasket incorperate anything into it ever. This makes no sense what so ever. Does anyone else smell BS?
edit: Damn. In my quest to make this shop the problem creators and ripper offers, i forgot about reefraff's post. It now makes more sense. Its too bad The wife said to go ahead to them and do it. I am sure I could have done this. Oh well. Once it is fixed, Got to take it to the dealship for the recall work. Second question, kinda first really, is there a chilton for this 01 e450 econoline?
You have to remove the valve cover to replace the harness, thus you have to replace the gasket as well. Could be the harness is glued into the gasket or something but that's ballpark what I paid to have mine replaced.