The New Grooming Bus

monsinour

Nothing like killing yourself for 5 days straight to rush home to see the family and get all kinds of crap thrown at you. anyways...
First tank got 8.8 MPG. I only drove it for 95 miles around atlanta so Not sure if that was an effect or not. Second tank went from just north of atlanta on 85 all the way up to north of charlotte and just south of the VA line. It was 545 miles or so and I got 11.6 MPG. The third tank is in the bus now and is getting that 11.6 or so MPG. Just gotta keep that thing under 70. The roof acts like a rudder in the winds and can give that bus an awful shaking at high speeds. It doesnt help when you are driving through a storm and feel the same shaking. I left with the windows down and sweating a little. I get home and I am freezing and it was snowing. It was 76 the day I left atlanta and I get home to 20 something temps. I can honestly say that I have never seen a vehichle's temp actually go down after driving for 12 hours. It was wierd watching the temp gage go down as I crossed over into NY and it got really cold out.

monsinour

That 8.8 came from 75N to 675N to 285W to 85N. All highway driving. I have no clue as to why the fluctuation in MPG. I didnt change my driving style or my speed. I attempted to do a constant 62. Up hill i got as slow as 40, thank you hills in NY and PA, and down hill I hit 75 once, thank you NC. Let me tell ya, this thing is not going to go faster than 70 again. Its a big box truck with like a rudder and that wind gets to whipping this thing across the road. Once past 70, the wind deflects funny and it becomes hard to keep it going in a straight line.
Sure enough, once I got home wifey put me to work installing new lights and we are figuring out where to store her shampoos. I am still tired and sore for the past week. I might not heal up for a while.

reefraff

If it's anything like the fuel tank on my truck sometimes you got to nurse it to really get if full so you probably just didn't get a full tank that run.
I'd still be expecting 8 or so around town if you only got 11 plus on the highway, gonna be UGLY.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/60#post_3365545
If it's anything like the fuel tank on my truck sometimes you got to nurse it to really get if full so you probably just didn't get a full tank that run.
I'd still be expecting 8 or so around town if you only got 11 plus on the highway, gonna be UGLY.
We are still going to sell it just because its not quite right for what she needs to do on the inside.
All that means is that I have a DIY project ahead of me that is more entailed than a tank or a light fixture.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/80#post_3365719
Your selling the new one?
Yup. It was not made the proper way and there isnt enough room inside for a proper grooming table or all the shampoos that are needed. There arent any windows in it. I am sure that there are other things that the missus will complain about but for now, those are the big 3 things that are wrong. Besides, it might be too big to go into our driveway. I had to fill it with it parked in the street and running the hose out that far sucked.
I got the lighting done on the one side, I put in the double light over the back. I put in the eye bolts over the tub. Drilling the acrylic was fun. It was going so well until the bit broke through it. I forgot to put wood on the other side and cracked the acrylic. It doesnt matter as the missus wasnt happy with it anyways. I think the only thing I did today that she will like is the hanging of the clock on the wall, LOL.
We will probably be able to sell this to someone who does small dogs only. The tub is the right size for that. This person will also live in a warmer climate and that will take care of some other issues. We still have to get the propane to work which means taking it to an RV place and having them look at the water heater and the furnace. The water heater works with electrical, but it doesnt heat the water up all that much. That was one thing the old van had in spades on this. When the radiator didnt work so well and the copper tube was in the fresh water tank, it made hot water like no ones business.

meowzer

WOW....that sure stinks big time
I hope you don;t take a big loss....do you still have the old van?

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/80#post_3365737
WOW....that sure stinks big time
I hope you don;t take a big loss....do you still have the old van?
Wife is working in the old van right now. She wanted to use the new one but didnt have enough time to move her gear to the new one. She will be using the new one tomorrow. What really stings inst the fact that we have to sell this one. What stinks is that we waited over a year and a half to get this one knowing the majority of the time that once we got it, it was going to be wrong. I dont forsee taking a loss on this at all. The vehicle cost only $5.5K and we got all material at cost. The labor shouldnt be too bad. We should be able to sell it for $40K and have about $10K left over to get a new vehicle. The only problem is that it doent have a hydralic table in it. But for someone who only does small dogs, that wont be an issue as the tables are all at the right hight for small dogs. I still have to add 3 more lights to the inside on the tub side, install the rear speakers, find a rack/something to store her shampoos in, and there will be other stuff to do.

meowzer

OK...I'm a little confused (as usual LOL) Why would you wait a year and a half for something that you knew would be wrong???

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/80#post_3365747
OK...I'm a little confused (as usual LOL) Why would you wait a year and a half for something that you knew would be wrong???
Because it was supposed to be done in 3 months. We were promised it back before last winter started, in '09. We then thought that we would have it in July last year and planned a vaca to go and get it. Then it was pushed back to august before school started. Then it was before this winter started '10. And now we finally have it.
Basically I gave my best friend an idea of a project and he took off and ran with it before we said "OK, do it." We then had a sit down (over the phone) with him explaining what all needed to be done to make it right. He listened to some things and others he completely disregarded. I can honestly say that this thing will never fall apart. There is enough stainless steel in there to recycle for well over $5K. It was done really well and the quality of the construction is great. Its the level of quality I expected from him. If only he listned about the windows, hydralic table, and the water heater all would be fine. Cest la vie.
The only solace my wife has is that I will be doing all the work to the new one so she will get it exactly how she wants it. It wont take as long and there wont be as much that will need to be done. I might need help with some things, but I am sure I can find someone who can assist me.

reefraff

That blows but at least you'll show a little profit. You should go look at the prebuilt ones to get an idea exactly what you want inside and how to do it. One option to think about for a new base truck would be one of the U hauls that's built on a van chassis. They sell those things all the time.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/80#post_3365765
That blows but at least you'll show a little profit. You should go look at the prebuilt ones to get an idea exactly what you want inside and how to do it. One option to think about for a new base truck would be one of the U hauls that's built on a van chassis. They sell those things all the time.
Ryder trucks would be better. they are better maintained while they are rentals than the uhauls. This idea has already crossed my mind a few times. I know what needs to be in there, and I know how I would do it. Its just a matter of getting the materials and time to do it all. Gotta sell this one first.

monsinour

todays adventure
It was the first time the missus was going to use the new van. We had filled it with hot water from our tank as the water heater didnt appear to be working. She forgot to open the overflow valve and we poped something on the inside as it was leaking water. This is after we had to thaw everything out as the pipes froze over night. Nothing burst, but some hose clamps needed to be tightened. Then she came home after the first appt and said that the generator gave her problems. I had told her to prop it open so that it gets fresh air. Then she came home after he second appt and said the generator quit on her. I took the bus and put gas in the generator and it started just fine. She then told me that the hot and cold are reversed on the knobs and the hot water heater works too well as she almost burned her hand with it. She is out on her 3rd appt and should be home within a few hours. I think this thing has given us all the greif we will see from it. We have a propane heater to keep it warm tonight after we drain the tanks. I am having a thermostat controled propane heater shipped to me from the south where they are not sold out of them. It has been a fun learning lesson and I think I am done being POed at everything. If anyone has some spare good karma, send it over here. I am going to play the lottery soon and we sure could use the spare $.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/80#post_3366029
todays adventure
It was the first time the missus was going to use the new van. We had filled it with hot water from our tank as the water heater didnt appear to be working. She forgot to open the overflow valve and we poped something on the inside as it was leaking water. This is after we had to thaw everything out as the pipes froze over night. Nothing burst, but some hose clamps needed to be tightened. Then she came home after the first appt and said that the generator gave her problems. I had told her to prop it open so that it gets fresh air. Then she came home after he second appt and said the generator quit on her. I took the bus and put gas in the generator and it started just fine. She then told me that the hot and cold are reversed on the knobs and the hot water heater works too well as she almost burned her hand with it. She is out on her 3rd appt and should be home within a few hours. I think this thing has given us all the greif we will see from it. We have a propane heater to keep it warm tonight after we drain the tanks. I am having a thermostat controled propane heater shipped to me from the south where they are not sold out of them. It has been a fun learning lesson and I think I am done being POed at everything. If anyone has some spare good karma, send it over here. I am going to play the lottery soon and we sure could use the spare $.
LOL...I would be nuts and fit to be tied by now. I can't stand it when things go wrong. My poor mom had e-mail issues today..I could scream. I could never be one of those tech support people.
I would have never considered the pipes freezing, I'm glad it was an easy fix and no pipes burst. So the generator was just out of gas?

reefraff

You could get heat tape for the water lines to keep them from freezing. Lot easier to just plug them in than to drain the tanks or heat the whole ******** all night. Too late now but they make propane generators. CHECK THE OIL IN THE GENERATOR. Most of them have oil level switches that will cut off the ignition if the level is too low. That also means they have to be sitting reasonably level when you run them.