The New Grooming Bus

darthtang aw

I will be taking off for the airport in a few hours. Gonna miss talking with all you peeps for the next few days. Dont be harsh to the newbs and ignore that tang.
I kinda thought it was funny. lol
It was funny......I laughed when I read it.

darthtang aw

As a woman that makes perfect sense. As a man...doing it that way means we would be home quicker.
Darth (honest) Tang

mylady

No, hubby's best friend has been converting this thing for me and there are still things that need to be done before he can drive it home. He took a video and I'll post it so you can see the inside. But take your dramamine first. He was trying to get everything in quickly to keep the file from being too large since his friend only has DSL. It WAS supposed to be ready to go when he got there and they were just supposed to be making minor changes that I might want done before driving it home. But now it looks like he won't be able to leave until Saturday. My kids miss their dad like crazy and our new old dog is beside herself because he's not here. She's become very attached to him and doesn't know what to do with herself without him here.

monsinour

The work that was done today
Water tank and lines are complete. Drain lines are complete, tested water and it works.
Generator was installed and majority of the wiring is complete. There are a few lines that need to be run and a light needs to be installed.
The box containing the propane tanks is complete. the external lines for the propane are complete. Internal lines for propane needs to be done.
Passenger trim pieces were installed and silicone was used to seal.
Splash guards for tub were made
I had to wait to start working due to my friend having to make a delivery with the semi. I started working at 4 pm. Took a dinner break at 9 pm for 30 mins. Didnt get back to my friends house until 3:15 am. I am dead tired.
The list of things that I need to do tomorrow:
Exterior trim needs to go up on drivers side
wheel well covers need to go up
Cover for generator needs to go back on after its painted
Roof seams need to be sealed
exahust fan needs to be installed
rubber trim in cabinets needs to be installed
Dog Bone washers needs to be painted
eye bolts need to be installed
Silicone the propane box
Silicone the splash guards
Install light over drying area
move sun visor
I have to get almost all of that done before 4 pm when the guys start working on the electrical and propane stuff. Its going to be another long day.

reefraff

I get the impression this was a friend helping them out on this. Probably saved them lots of commas and zeros.

S

smartorl

After years in business, I have all but given up on "buddy deals". So much better just to be a paying customer so you can crack the whip if they don't live up to their end of the bargain.

mylady

It's hubby's best friend doing it. He's saving me about $30K by doing it for me with what I am getting. He gets everything at cost, fabricated everything himself, down to the washers, and donated his time/labor. So for that kind of savings I can't complain much. A brand new WagNTails Elite, which is the same body style, maybe slightly shorter, costs about $85K new. A used one of the same age as this bus would easily run me a good $40-$50K. Everything inside of it is stainless steel.

reefraff

I figured you saved a bundle, plus you got it done how you wanted it and the hubbs saw how things went together so if there's ever a problem.... If you think the mileage was a surprise wait till your first oil change, they hold 15 quarts.
I was curious about what you should expect on mileage. Couldn't find a real answer other that people hauling trailers with their pick ups. If it's a Powerstroke 7.3 (they made a 7.3 that wasn't a powerstoke in the 90's) you will be doing well to get 12 or so even on the highway. There are mods to help the mileage but I am not sure how much of a dent they would put in a heavy rig being driven in town. Seeing how it's a bus it might already have a larger intake and exhaust system from the factory.
But think of all the room you have to work in.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/383945/the-new-grooming-bus/60#post_3364590
I figured you saved a bundle, plus you got it done how you wanted it and the hubbs saw how things went together so if there's ever a problem.... If you think the mileage was a surprise wait till your first oil change, they hold 15 quarts.
We are saving a huge ammount of $. Its not quite going together exactly as we asked for. I am watching as much as I can incase I need to fix something. But I am not a hot water heater expert nor am I a furnace expert. I could probably handle the plumbing and electrical stuff. I will be coming home with a box full of hardware to make any changes or put new things in place.
It is the 7.3 powerstroke engine. We looked all over for the gear ratios and couldnt find them. Have a tip as to where we might be able to find them? Reefraff, did you find a site that explained the recall completely? I know the part probably hasnt been put on (95% sure) and I seem to remember you saying it was a safety issue.
My list of stuff to do
Exterior trim needs to go up DONE
Roof seams need to be sealed Not Done
exahust fan needs to be installed DONE
rubber trim in cabinets needs to be installed DONE (this needed to be done as I cut myself twice)
Dog Bone washers needs to be painted Not Done (can wait til I get home)
eye bolts need to be installed Not Done (waiting on splash guard)
Silicone the propane box DONE
Silicone the splash guards Not Done (doing it differently)
Install light over drying area Not Done
move sun visor DONE
There was a ton of work done today. the propane lines are done and ready to be leak tested. The propane box is done. The propane securing straps are done. The safety bar to hold the tanks in is cut and done, just needs to be installed. The electrical is done except the 110 to the water heater and the furnace. I put in 11 hours yesterday and 14 hours today. Since I havent done any real work in almost a year, I am dead tired and sore. I cant wait for this to be over.

reefraff

NOVEMBER 2007 -- Ford is recalling 1,176,000 MY 1997-2003 F-Super Duty, E-Series and Excursion vehicles equipped with 7.3L diesel engines. The camshaft position sensor located on the engine of the vehicle may function intermittently, possibly resulting in an engine stall. In the event of an engine stall, a crash could result without warning. Dealers will inspect the sensor and replace it with an improved camshaft position sensor. The recall is expected to begin during January 2008. 07V553
That is why I would be amazed if the cam sensor wasn't done. You can probably call any ford dealer and give them your VIN and find out of it was changed.
As far as the axle ratio there should be a tag on the left side door or door jam. Towards the bottom of the tag should have a axle code listed.
This hopefully has the code on it
http://breezeman.tripod.com/Ford_rearends.html

monsinour

Thanks for that. I have a feeling it wasnt done. He has a postcard from ford dated 3/2010 stating that it needed to be done. He also has 2 letters from ford with dates after that. THose letters prolly say it needs to be done. That gear ratio list is great, however when looking at the stickers on the door jams, I didnt see an engine size let alone something that said gear ratio. Is it apart of the vin or something? I will look for an "axel code" again tomorrow.
No, this thing isnt done yet. Anyone know if the RV furnace and hot water heaters should be a liquid draw or a vapor draw for the LP gas? I just want to drive this thing off a cliff and jump out at the last minute.

reefraff

If you don't have instructions form the propane appliances that you are sure you understand I'd hire that end of the job done. You also have to make sure the venting is all done right. Need to make sure there is plenty of air in and exhaust out. I've never seen a liquid draw system in a travel trailer I've ever seen. Mine have both been vapor.
Door tag should look similar to this