The One Question-Answer Thread

pezenfuego

Have you ever had a question that you wanted to ask but didn't want to start a new thread about? Maybe it had been asked a million times but not answered to your specifications. Maybe you didn't want to be ridiculed by asking it again. Maybe you just didn't think that it was important enough to start a thread about. Well my friends, if you have any questions like that, then this is the thread for you. Ask any question (related to aquariums of course) that is or has been on your mind.
*Note, EVERYONE can contribute to answering the questions as in any other thread.
*Do not waste time and space by telling me how much you dislike or like the idea of this thread. If you dislike it, boycott it and let it die. Send me a PM if you have to, but don't start unnecessary conflict.
Ask away.

mony97

haha I have no idea but a good feeling you do,
My question is, however, a Heniochus Butterfly in a 65g FOWLR. Pass or Fail? I know they do better in schools so I would most likely get two or three if I could pull it off again will it work or not so much?

superhero

Originally Posted by mony97
http:///forum/post/3183797
haha I have no idea but a good feeling you do,
My question is, however, a Heniochus Butterfly in a 65g FOWLR. Pass or Fail? I know they do better in schools so I would most likely get two or three if I could pull it off again will it work or not so much?
IMO kinda small for them... they are gonna get big and like lots of space to swim around. when they are all 6 inches long, there wont be much room in a 65 for those large fish to swim around. but if they are small now and you were thinking of upgrading to something like a 125, then you could probably keep them in the 65 while they are small... whats your stock list look like?

mony97

Thats what I figured which is a bummer thought they would have made a nice addition. Stock list as of right now looks like
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Midas Blenny
1/2 Firefish Goby
1/2 PJ Cardnal
and a Kole Tang

superhero

nice i have a kole tang and i love mine, i just snapped some pics of my tank and here he is with my cleaner wrasse

mony97

Nice, he looks awesome I'm really excited to get mine hopefully some time in Jan. depending on the cycle time, any advice for keeping one?

superhero

just make sure that you are feeding him enough greens especially, i feed all of my tangs Formula Two flake food made by Ocean Nutrition everyday and they are tearing through it right now and I'm going to have to buy some more very soon! lol
-Tony

mie

Should you re seed your tank with a few pounds of "FRESH" live rock lets say once a year?

flower

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/3184017
Should you re seed your tank with a few pounds of "FRESH" live rock lets say once a year?

Whenever you add live rock you take a chance on a hitchhiker you don't want...like a coral eating worm, or aiptasia, for example.
If you must build slowly then that is what you have to do until you have what you need. However it does not need to be reseeded. A properly maintained tank means the rock reseeds itself. Critters on them live and die according to their generations.

flower

I have a question: I have a hippo blue tang and a blue spotted kole tang in my 90g. I really love the color of the yellow tang. I don’t have much in my tank for show, even the kole is part of the CUC.
If I just kept it until it outgrows the tank, do you think 3 tangs is just too much for a 90g?
I know even the hippo will eventually outgrow the 90g as it is.

richl

No question, just a statement about asking questions - "He who asks the question is a fool for a moment, he who does not ask the question is a fool forever" - Confucious

flower

Originally Posted by RichL
http:///forum/post/3184037
No question, just a statement about asking questions - "He who asks the question is a fool for a moment, he who does not ask the question is a fool forever" - Confucious

LOL...sure but where is the answer to my question?

mie

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3184022

Whenever you add live rock you take a chance on a hitchhiker you don't want...like a coral eating worm, or aiptasia, for example.
If you must build slowly then that is what you have to do until you have what you need. However it does not need to be reseeded. A properly maintained tank means the rock reseeds itself. Critters on them live and die according to their generations.
I thought that in an artificial enviroment all the little creatures would eventually get eaten or no longer reproduce, just like water changes, in time all the essential elements are used up. I am not talking about show pieces either, maybe some roock to put in the sump .

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/3184075
I thought that in an artificial enviroment all the little creatures would eventually get eaten or no longer reproduce, just like water changes, in time all the essential elements are used up. I am not talking about show pieces either, maybe some roock to put in the sump .
Wow, that is a really good question. I subscribe to the idea that given time certain organism populations will cease to exist in your aquarium due to being consumed or due to the tank undergoing a period of time in which the organism's needs aren't met (say you fail to do a water change for a month
). I would say that it could be beneficial to reseed live rock. But keeping in mind what Flower said, it could also be quite the opposite if you introduce something bad. We know the necessity of "cooking" live rock after a very long period of time in which your rock becomes "detritus-logged." However, would it be necessary or even wise to "reseed" live rock annually? By the way, reseed is a word. Who knew
I don't personally think that its necessary but I have failed to find an article about this-granted most of my research wasn't centered around finding this answer. In any case I don't think that it would be necessary to reseed annually, but I also think that you're on to something in that our tanks probably have the ability to slowly destroy the things that go into God's wonderful oceanic rock. I think it is a good idea if done less frequently than annually. I know that this isn't an answer, but more of an opinion.

pezenfuego

So...my research tells me that nitrosomona is a bacteria that helps to eliminate ammonia and nitrobacter; nitrite. My question is this: Are there any other types of bacteria that also aid in these processes (found in our aquariums) and are their colonies as prominent as the latter? Most of the articles that you can find about the nitrogen cycle seem to purposefully leave out even the simplest information about these types of bacteria and I find this to be frustrating.