Thinking of a new tank...Lagoon style?????

05xrunner

Well i got rid of my tanks some time ago. I still have my 20g mantis tank but thats boring and I never even look at it.
My new idea was a lagoon style tank. I was going to have a custom made tank 30lx30wx8d and then build a stand where the tank sits in the stand and the top of it is flush with the top of the stand. I would have like a 10" shelf area all around the top of the tank and put like sand and rocks and some tropical looing plants around it to give a look like its a lagoon. maybe even add a waterfall as part of its water flow.
Not 100% sure I wanna do this yet. It wouldnt have a ton in it..just some clowns a few corals and thats about it. it wont have any side viewing all top down.

darric

I've always liked the lagoons, esp. for corals. If you want to get fancy you can make two lagoons the same size and join them together putting one a few inches higher than the other and drilling holes in the higher one to allow flow from the upper to lower. The lower tank would drop water to the sump below and pump back to the upper tank. Add a hanging metal halide and some of those sweet magnetic powerheads! Real slick if you have the money. I would if I could afford it!

05xrunner

no thats ok..my last 75g reef tank i spent like 3grand on..This tank isnt going to be all fancy. Just going to look neat and I am not spending alot on it.

emm0909

You should keep some side viewing. Then you cen see how healthy everything is, how well it's all eating and see what you're doing when you're moving things around. How fun is a clown when you're looking down on him? Sounds like a $30 dot that you can start down at.
Put a huge brain in the bottom. That'll look cool.

05xrunner

things look better from top view anyway. this isnt mainly a fish tank. Top down tanks show off coral colors WAY better then side viewing. I am adding the clowns just so it is not static looking in the tank.

steve24

sweet idea

if i remember right "bang guy" has a lagoon. i`m sure he would help with any questions.
PS... if andwhen you do this... post pics

05xrunner

i am picking up the tank tonight
I went with 25x25x9
I am gonna get the wood tomorrow and start on the stand.
Hopefully I can have the stand built skinned and stained by the end of the week.
these are the type of trees I am gonna add around the sides to make it look like a tropical area.
The Palms, beech and such
http://www.miniaturetree.com/

darric

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
i am picking up the tank tonight
I went with 25x25x9
I am gonna get the wood tomorrow and start on the stand.
Hopefully I can have the stand built skinned and stained by the end of the week.
these are the type of trees I am gonna add around the sides to make it look like a tropical area.
The Palms, beech and such
http://www.miniaturetree.com/
The mini tree idea is awesome!

mcbdz

So, what are you thinkin' for filtration?
I think it would look cool if you put it low like a real lagoon would be with sitting areas around it and you were automaticly looking down into it like a pond. Then you could place plants and some lounge chair and bring on the drinks.

05xrunner

2 hydor nano's and a canister...thats plenty about a 23x turnover and I am not doing any sps.
it will be about chest level when sitting in a chair so i can just pear into it while sitting in my chair..I cant make it any lower or my dogs will muck it up

05xrunner

well here is the stand so far.
I still gotta do some things. I am going to go get some metal L brackets to replace teh small pieces of 2x4 I have there right now.
Take in mind this is only the frame. Once I skin it with some nicer looking paneling it wont be ugly anymore. I also gotta get a square of Styrofoam to put under the tank to distribute the weight evenly.
I am no master carpenter but it gets the job done as a frame

mademperor

That stand doesn't look strong at all...
you want the tank supported by wood, not screws or L brackets.
You also lack lateral support.

snakeblitz33

wow, You need to brace it a little better. Can't wait to see it up and running! Are you going to have some mangroves etc growing in it?

groupergenius

Killer project. I would love to do the same someday. Maybe a little bigger with all the stuff hidden in the stand. Tank 12" tall with a hanging pendant from the ceiling.
Your right, tanks allways look cool top-down.

05xrunner

here is teh progress
her eis the frame of the stand completed

Here is how the skin is going to be. Its Acrylic and I painted the back of it black. the center section is going to be the door.
I gotta finish painting the pieces and get some tiny screws tomorrow to attach it..
The one panel on the left got messed up :(

rykna

Originally Posted by steve24
sweet idea

if i remember right "bang guy" has a lagoon. i`m sure he would help with any questions.
PS... if andwhen you do this... post pics

Yes he does......excuse me while I turn 3 shades of green. A while ago I suggested to him to keep seahorses in his lagoon. He had a corner that was pod heaven, with no inhabitants. Never found out if he did our not.