This Hair Algae will NOT go away..

bang guy

Originally Posted by mony97
http:///forum/post/3285141
Thx Bang, yes it was LS from day one went through the cycle and all. Is this common or did I just get lucky? and also is it a year from my start date or a year from when the HA began?
It became a common occurance when new hobbiests were fed the bizarre notion that the higher the ammonia level the quicker and better the cycle would be. I don't know where this idea came from.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3285223
It became a common occurance when new hobbiests were fed the bizarre notion that the higher the ammonia level the quicker and better the cycle would be. I don't know where this idea came from.
I totally disagree that it does not happen quicker, the more ammonia present the more nitrifing bacteria colonization needed to convert the ammonia, to nitrites and the more nitrites the more colonization needed to convert to nitrates so it takes longer oh wait it takes longer to cycle organics with a higher load ummm never mind

mony97

Thanks everyone, again all of this is much appreciated I hope I can beat this stuff it bugs me that it is in there.
Also is there any particular type of sea hare that works best for HA or will any species work? And since they do not have a shell should I worry about them getting eaten? The two fish that worry me are my Two Spot Hogfish (about 2.5") and my Potters Angel that loves to nip at my Nass. snails.

meowzer

On this site they only have the dolabella....I believe that would work
as would a dwarf seahare...I had one...not from here though....and it cleaned out 2 tanks for me....it was a PIGGY
remember....this is not something that came overnite....and it will not go away overnite.....I swear after picking on rocks every night after work...and all weekend long....i was ready to just give up....BUT ONE DAY...I noticed a big change....and then YAYYYY I had it under control.....you know that word that's famous on these sites.....PATIENCE..LOL...I'll also add diligence...

caz2022

I know this is an older thread but I want to add to it. IMO/IME (neither are as vast as most on here) one adult Molly added to the tank will devour your hair aglae problem quicker than a sea hare, with the bonus of it wont starve to death once that food sorce is gone. I spent $.99 on an adult male sailfin molly and it turned out to be the best investment Iv ever made (towards a CUC). Not only does he keep all nuisance algae in check but Iv seen him down sifting the very top layer of sand. Providing you have nothing in the tank that will eat him and you spend the time acclimating him properly, you will not be disappointed in his work.

M

mandolihn

When I first set up my tank before I added fish, I had a huge hair algae problem. My first fish was a lawnmower blenny and within three days she got rid of all of my algae! Haven't had a problem since! Might work for you as well.

most city water is loaded with phosphates and that really makes the algae grow like crazy. so if your constantly doing water changes you are feeding it. try doing water changes with r.o , di, or distilled water. also get the mexican turbos, you only need a few. they are amazing cleaners