This hobby is hazardous to your health :(

mkroher

Well my friends,
My cat woke me up at 2am this morning. I continue to lay in bed trying to fall back asleep, until the sound of my overflow box caught my attention. I was really dialing in to every gurgle and blip and drip sound it made. Then I started to think.. "what if the overflow isn't draining the way it should?" I tried to listen for a sound of water hitting the floor. I didn't hear any. Then I started to wonder if my PVC pipes are ok. Did I glue everything ok? Is it leaking? Is the tank ok? Are the seams leaking? Is the tank going to burst any second? Is my light going to fall into the tank? Is my stand strong enough to hold my tank? Do I hear any wood creaking? Is my floor going to cave in?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I'm so tired. Thanks to this hobby, I've had another sleepless night.
Anyone want to buy a reef tank? I'll help you load it.

mie

Sounds like things at my house. My tank has leaked three times. Once from an old spray bar when the water level got to low it sparyed out of the tank,another was my nem climed into my overflow and plugged it, and the last was my fault I messed with the return line and it came off and fried my wiring, shocked my wife and soaked my carpet. OOPS. It is part of the game. That is why I am upgrading and puting one in my wall with the guts in the garage so there wont be the fallout from a leak that there usually is.

mkroher

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/3165504
Sounds like things at my house. my tank has leaked three times. nce from an old spray bar when the water level got to low it sparyed out of the tank,another was my nem climed into my overflow and plugged it, and the last was my fault I messed with the return line and it came off and fried my wiring, shocked my wife and soaked my carpet. OOPS. It is part of the game. That is why I am upgrading and puting one in my wall with the guts in the garage so there wont be the fallout from a leak that there usually is.

wow... your post was NOT what i wanted to read after last night!!
haha

meowzer

LOL....I have not lost sleep yet, but I often find myself muting the tv to listen to all the "sounds" My stingray has a habit of gliding across the spray bar..lol...which makes water splash....I finally have it adjusted so the water no longer lands on the floor...BUTTTT until I realized 100% what was going on...I found myself feeling everything....every hose, every attachment, corners....etc...etc....
Anyone want to buy a 225G LOL.....

mkroher

heh.. i wouldn't feel so guilty about selling the tank, but my girlfriend just bought me new bulbs.

happyfeet

I'm a walking zombie because of my tank.
It's overflowed at least six times.
Two due to bad plumbing and getting everything right and even flow.
One time for each one of my Chromis who found a new and inventive way into the overflow box. (Seriously every single one of them was compelled to get into that overflow box after the first one did.)
Luckily every time it’s overflowed I’ve been at home, so it hasn’t been too bad.
The last time I walked out of the shower looked at my tank and thought to myself, “that’s odd” right as flames and electrical pops erupted from behind the tank. That will teach me to not rehang the electrical strip when I’m done with it. (The final chromis found his way through the netting and polyfibers I had wedged into the overflow and clogged up the drain.)
My neighbor was also staring in my window from the sidewalk. I guess a wet ---- man putting out a fire in an aquarium isn't a sight you see everyday.

[hr]
False Percula

casper1875

From waking up because of a bad dream, to messing up my finger and going into the hospital after a midnight run in with a bristle worm. Sleep is no longer normal. Last night I had a dream that a huge snake was under my 180.
I think I just feel guilty because it cost sooo much to get this thing up and running
and my husband hates it.

socalnano24

Originally Posted by mkroher
http:///forum/post/3165490
Well my friends,
My cat woke me up at 2am this morning. I continue to lay in bed trying to fall back asleep, until the sound of my overflow box caught my attention. I was really dialing in to every gurgle and blip and drip sound it made. Then I started to think.. "what if the overflow isn't draining the way it should?" I tried to listen for a sound of water hitting the floor. I didn't hear any. Then I started to wonder if my PVC pipes are ok. Did I glue everything ok? Is it leaking? Is the tank ok? Are the seams leaking? Is the tank going to burst any second? Is my light going to fall into the tank? Is my stand strong enough to hold my tank? Do I hear any wood creaking? Is my floor going to cave in?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I'm so tired. Thanks to this hobby, I've had another sleepless night.
Anyone want to buy a reef tank? I'll help you load it.

has anything bad actually happened to your tank, or are you just paranoid?

yearofthenick

My tank has a homemade PVC overflow down to a refugium/filter. Because it's homemade, it requires me to manually siphon it every time it breaks siphon. It's a real pain in the butt but it works well once I get it dialed in. When I turn my pumps off, the tank water drains below the pipe opening and the siphon breaks, and my overflow becomes completely useless. When I turn the pumps back on, the tank begins to fill - but unless I fix the siphon manually, the tank will overflow and spill onto the stand and carpet.
Well the power went out one day... My wife normally cooks at home but because the power was out, we all went out to dinner instead. While we were out to dinner, my wife calls the electrical company and their automated system reports that our power has been restored.
All was well until I realized that because the house lost power, my pumps went off. When the power was restored, my pumps turned back on. It was a terribly uncomfortable dinner and I did not enjoy it at all, because I was fully expecting to come home to a swamp for a den.
Thankfully when I got home, the tank hadn't overflowed. It was the day we normally top-off our tanks, but we hadn't done it yet so the levels were lower than normal. My return lines were shooting bubbles and the water line was about 1/4" from the top. Close one.

mkroher

Well, my tank is drilled for the overflow, so I don't have to worry about losing syphon. I don't know why I'm so paranoid... Being a renter on a 3rd floor maybe?

flower

Such is life...the sound of my tank is very soothing to me, I sleep like a baby. It does not cause me worry.
I can count on my fingers how many little floods I had to deal with over the last 30 years of keeping fish tanks. That isn't a bad count.
Me...I would have gotten up..checked to make sure all is well..laughed at myself, and then go back to bed and sleep.
You just laid there and worried??? What if something was wrong???

mkroher

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3165573
Such is life...the sound of my tank is very soothing to me, I sleep like a baby. It does not cause me worry.
I can count on my fingers how many little floods I had to deal with over the last 30 years of keeping fish tanks. That isn't a bad count.
Me...I would have gotten up..checked to make sure all is well..laughed at myself, and then go back to bed and sleep.
You just laid there and worried??? What if something was wrong???
No way! I got up at least 3 times. I ended up crashing on the couch adjacent to the tank because I kept waking up my girlfriend.

flower

http:///forum/post/3165584
No way! I got up at least 3 times. I ended up crashing on the couch adjacent to the tank because I kept waking up my girlfriend.

LOL...I only did that with my wee tiny babies when they had a cold..I feared SIDS.
So you checked...everything was fine, and you still couldn't sleep? This is very troubling...your girlfriend will not put up with that for long.
Get one of those baby monitors were you can set up a camera..that way you can keep a constant eye on it. Tell all your fiends you just want to make sure nobody steals it..so you don't look crazy to them.
Otherwise you need to pack it all up and send it to a loving caregiver...like me. I will be happy it take care of it for you.

xcali1985

Originally Posted by casper1875
http:///forum/post/3165532
....Last night I had a dream that a huge snake was under my 180....
Funny, I had a nightmare that my dad came over and stole my anemone lol, hes been wanting it for over a month now, just got T5s and he finally looks happy. I immediately woke up got my flashlight out and located him behind a rock.
........But the dream was so real.

xcali1985

http:///forum/post/3165563
Well, my tank is drilled for the overflow, so I don't have to worry about losing syphon. I don't know why I'm so paranoid... Being a renter on a 3rd floor maybe?
Same with me renting on the 2nd. Ive been through a flood already when I had a HOB Overflow. Upgraded tank, now its drilled and I sleep peacefully. Before I wanted the tank as quite as possible so I knew when something was wrong. Now a slight trickle noise is soothing.

mkroher

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3165594
Same with me renting on the 2nd. Ive been through a flood already when I had a HOB Overflow. Upgraded tank, now its drilled and I sleep peacefully. Before I wanted the tank as quite as possible so I knew when something was wrong. Now a slight trickle noise is soothing.
you don't get an occasional gurgle from the overflow?