This is the Start of my Tank (This is what I have so Far)

flower

I love hermit crabs, and have very few snails (30). I have those little sea stars and those sea slugs that come on rock that do the same thing snails do. My hermit crabs keep busy picking algae off the rocks all day and all night.
I buy shells for the hermits and I have never noticed them bothering the snails at all.

yannifish

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3286040

I love hermit crabs, and have very few snails (30). I have those little sea stars and those sea slugs that come on rock that do the same thing snails do. My hermit crabs keep busy picking algae off the rocks all day and all night.
I buy shells for the hermits and I have never noticed them bothering the snails at all.
I think the hermits are cool, but the one I have has probably killed between ten and twenty snails. He's going in the fuge as soon as it's set up.

scott t

OK have a Question, I was wondering what is Partial Cured Live Rock?? Could I use some base rock, some partially cured live rock and Live rock?? Would this work???

luvmyreef

Scott T, I am not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but about 6 mths ago I added a royal gramma to my tank, and it killed my purple firefish! that I had for approx 4 years!
So, just be careful on the fish combo you choose. And congrats on getting your tank!!
And yes, you can use that rock, just dont add livestock until your tank is fully cycled, then add it slowly. Base rock is dead rock, and it takes awhile for it to become live rock, and it wont help your bio filtration in the beginning, but the live rock will seed it.

scott t

Oh wow sorry to hear about your Purple Firefish. =( The list I am compiling is just to start with list, I am not sure what I am going to add as far as fish go just keeping my options open. lol I want to add a Brittle Star fish to the CC so I also want fish that will be Compatible with that also.. Thanks for the Information :)

yannifish

Yes, as luvmyreef said using a combination of live rock and base rock works. That's what I did.
Just be sure to add all the live rock at once, as soon as temperature and salinity have settled, so that it can cycle your tank. If you want to add more live rock at a later date you will have to cure it in a separate tank.
And don't add any fish before the cycle is complete!

scott t

Oh I know I can not add any fish until the cycle is complete. I know that it will take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for the tank to cycle. I know that somewhere in there you can add the CC to the tank, like snails and Crabs, but you have to wait on the starfish and such until the tank is fully cycled...

luvmyreef

A starfish needs a mature tank, or it will starve. You add the cc when cycle is complete, because the algae will start. It will start sooner if you run the lights on the tank during the cycle.

scott t

Thats what I thought about the the lights that they should be on, Should they be on like the normal duration as if it were the Display tank when you are cycling the tank. Yeah I was just reading that you want the tank established for 4-6 months before you add a starfish...

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3286079
Thats what I thought about the the lights that they should be on, Should they be on like the normal duration as if it were the Display tank when you are cycling the tank. Yeah I was just reading that you want the tank established for 4-6 months before you add a starfish...
Well, some people run the lights and others dont. I ran mine around 4 hrs a day during the cycle. And most people would recommend longer than that for the starfish.

btldreef

I keep my lights on while cycling. I also do water changes. Everyone has their own twist on the basic cycling method. I always prefer to use all cured rock as well.
As for the starfish, wait on it for awhile. 6+ months for a mature tank. You may find that the snails, diamond goby and cleaner shrimp are enough and you may not need the starfish. Also, if you bought cured rock, you probably have some baby brittle starfish in your rocks, I always end up with them in mine.

yannifish

The number one rule when cycling is be patient. But it sounds like you want to do things right, so you shouldn't have any problems with that.
I agree that you may not want a brittle star, unless you like them. I think you'll have a good clean up crew without one.

scott t

Hey Got a Question about my Sump Does it have to go Under the stand or Can I build like a Smaller stand Next to the DT stand and set it on there. Would this be a Problem???

J

jstdv8

Scott, you can ahve it anywhere you want.
In a few threads teh guy who runs the turf scrubber website suggests that its best for his pod producing sump to be located above the DT so that Pods don't have to go hrough a pump to get into the DT. SO in his case he pumps the water out of his DT instead of in and the overflow goes on the sump instead of the DT.

scott t

Thanks for the Quick Answer. I didnt think it would be a Problem putting it next to it as long as the water got in to it and then back out. lol

yannifish

http:///forum/post/3286253
Thanks for the Quick Answer. I didnt think it would be a Problem putting it next to it as long as the water got in to it and then back out. lol
Yup, that's the main thing.

Just be sure the sump is below the tank level, so water will drain.

scott t

Just got an Update on My Lighting Fixture it will be here on Thursday WOO HOOO
Its starting to come together.. Next order Not this week but next week will be My Over Flow Box, Pump and Maybe The Protein Skimmer...

btldreef

have you decided on what overflow or protein skimmer you want?
If you're doing a hang on overflow (which I think is what you're doing), I highly recommend the CPR.

scott t

BTLDreef, I am going to do a Sump. The overflow box is an Eshopps PF-800 8" x 3" x 10" H Up to 125 gallons 800 gph , Skimmer Eshopps PSK-75 3" diameter x 19" high up to 75 gallon ( think i should go bigger this is up to 75 Gal) and the Pump is Taam Rio® HyperFlow™ Aqua Pumps 12HF 4.9" x 2.5" x 3.2" 9.5 ft 750 *3/4"
Think I am going to go with the CPR CS100 Overflow box =O

yannifish

http:///forum/post/3286995
BTLDreef, I am going to do a Sump. The overflow box is an Eshopps PF-800 8" x 3" x 10" H Up to 125 gallons 800 gph , Skimmer Eshopps PSK-75 3" diameter x 19" high up to 75 gallon ( think i should go bigger this is up to 75 Gal) and the Pump is Taam Rio® HyperFlow™ Aqua Pumps 12HF 4.9" x 2.5" x 3.2" 9.5 ft 750 *3/4"
Think I am going to go with the CPR CS100 Overflow box =O
You may want to reconsider the Rio pump. I've never used one, but many people have had bad experiences with them. Just my opinion though.