Those Beautiful Clams

vandy12069

here are 2 clams from my old 125. i had more pics but i cant find them i had a black and gold maxima but cant find the pics.....poopy

vandy12069

its not really gold more like a brownish tan color but let me try to find the pic of my black and gold clam it was about 6-7"

candycane

Cic - The Derasa looks good but the Crocea looks like it might have some localized bleaching. How long have you had it and what kind of light is it under?
It may just be the camera, but see the areas of marble appearance that look like they are white or REALLY light tan?

candycane

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2680883
Not the best pic, but here's one of my croceas.
270w of T5.
-Justin
I haven't seen what appears to be a prominant form of generalized bleaching for about 6 months now with remaining localized bleaching. If the thing was under halides, I would be REALLY shocked to see that amount of color loss.

wangotango

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2681018
I haven't seen what appears to be a prominant form of generalized bleaching for about 6 months now with remaining localized bleaching. If the thing was under halides, I would be REALLY shocked to see that amount of color loss.
Not quite sure where you're going here, but the white balance in the pic is off, so the colors aren't 100% on.
Considering the clam has been under T5 for about 4 years and has continued to grow and have great coloration, I would say that it's doing fine. There is absolutely no reason why clams cannot be kept under T5 given that the setup isn't crap.
-Justin

candycane

http:///forum/post/2681628
Not quite sure where you're going here, but the white balance in the pic is off, so the colors aren't 100% on.
Considering the clam has been under T5 for about 4 years and has continued to grow and have great coloration, I would say that it's doing fine. There is absolutely no reason why clams cannot be kept under T5 given that the setup isn't crap.
-Justin
Because it would end up looking like that. Bleaching sometimes starts in what is called the central area of the clam, which it may have. Then it might become localized, which is has. Then it will start to work its way out, which it has. LOL. It's your clam though. The white balance means nothing when it comes to dark and light or black and white - it merely defines it more.
With the "growth" near the byssal opening, it is most likely impossible that thing has been in that tank for 4 years - I would guesstimate about 16-17 months. Either that or it has probably been EXTREMELY stressed out for a VERY, just VERY, and I mean VERY long time. Think of them as rings on a tree base. They can SOMETIMES queue towards a clams size and age. There are a few things you could do to help it - but seeing as how you aren't seeing what I am seeing and you are determined the clam is fine, post another pic in about 3 months if you get the time.

But see the white "lines" or what look like "scars" on the mantle? The thicker ones. There is a larger one on the left fold third one in. That is called localized bleaching most of the time. I can count what appear to be 6 of them. They are right where the mantle starts to drop down into where the siphons are. There is also a small one directly to the right of the incurrent siphon or mouth; the little thin white one.
Anyone that ever says they have ever been keeping a Crocea under T5s past two years, I always ask for a picture of the front of the byssal "hinge". The thing has localized bleaching, I can't see the central region that well, but it looks like it has centralized bleaching. Plus it starts to get lighter as it goes from the central area to the outer mantle rim, which is generalized bleaching. Don't believe ME? Get other professional opinions.
EDIT: Also if I need another good judge in size for age, I would just look at the star polyps to the left and the regular polyps to the right. I MIGHT grant the star polyps about a 1/4 of an inch based on max size. Then I MIGHT grant the clove polyps or whatever they are, about 3/4 of an inch based on maximum size. The clam is what; 3-4 inches in front of them at max? Putting the clam probably inside of a 3-4 inch marker.

wangotango

I'm staring right at the clam and I can tell you that it is not bleached. I think that I've at least gathered some knowledge over the years to be able to tell the difference between a bleached and healthy specimen. If you do not believe that my clams are healthy or doubt that I have had success keeping them under T5 for as long as I've had, that's fine. There are countless people who have kept just about everything under T5 with just as much success as metal halides. Don't believe me, look around.
I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about, but don't make assumptions about the health of the things in my tank unless you've seen them in person.
-Justin

candycane

I can see it, there's a picture of it right there. The best example is third fold in, right over the middle, right where it drops down into the where the siphons are, the thing that looks like a "tiger stripe" - that is localized bleaching and I used way to many commas. If there was ANY uniformity AT ALL to it, then it would probably be part of the pattern. But those stripes are all over the mantle.
The clam is bleaching. It has central bleaching in the middle area, localized bleaching due to those stripes, and I am nearly positive that it gets lighter from where the central area is going outwards.

wangotango

Well the date stamp on that picture was over two and a half years ago so go figure
If it was bleached, it seems to be doing well now.
I really don't feel like going back and forth over this, that's not what this thread is for. You don't think that it's possible for clams to live under T5, there's nothing I can do but show pictures and say that others have done so.
-Justin

candycane

Well let's get a full tank shot today then and a close up of the clam from today, I WANNA SEE HOW THIS BAD BOY IS DOIN'! LOL
It would be nice to finally see a clam do a turn around after 2.5 years under T5s
WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS!!

candycane

http:///forum/post/2681903
Well the date stamp on that picture was over two and a half years ago so go figure
If it was bleached, it seems to be doing well now.
I really don't feel like going back and forth over this, that's not what this thread is for. You don't think that it's possible for clams to live under T5, there's nothing I can do but show pictures and say that others have done so.
-Justin

Well let's get a full tank shot today then and a close up of the clam from today, I WANNA SEE HOW THIS BAD BOY IS DOIN'! LOL
It would be nice to finally see a Crocea clam do a turn around after 2.5 years under T5s.
PICS, PICS!!

wangotango

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2681944
It would be nice to finally see a clam do a turn around after 2.5 years under T5s
WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS!!
Actually, you want pics as nobody else seems to share your concern. I'll take some pics just for you since you asked so politely.
-Justin

candycane

http:///forum/post/2682012
Actually, you want pics as nobody else seems to share your concern. I'll take some pics just for you since you asked so politely.
-Justin
YES, please. I think that would be great. I just have never seen a Crocea clam do a turnaround under T5s. I find it extremely interesting and would love to see current pictures.