Those Beautiful Clams

myzislow

Candycane, it's quite obvious you're the self proclaimed clam guru around here; we all get the point that you know your stuff when it comes to clams. But, to say that a crocea clam cannot survive longterm, under a T5 setup, is a generalized blanket statement that really holds no truth at all.
I'm not trying to start and argument and nor do I really care to; all I'm going to say on the subject is that maybe YOU should do some more research before you doubt the capabilities of a properly designed T5 set up.

candycane

Originally Posted by myzislow
http:///forum/post/2682153
Candycane, it's quite obvious you're the self proclaimed clam guru around here; we all get the point that you know your stuff when it comes to clams. But, to say that a crocea clam cannot survive longterm, under a T5 setup, is a generalized blanket statement that really holds no truth at all.
I'm not trying to start and argument and nor do I really care to; all I'm going to say on the subject is that maybe YOU should do some more research before you doubt the capabilities of a properly designed T5 set up.
Never saw someone that didn't care, care enough to make a post.

Sorry, I had to get something to eat.
Oh here ya go, then i'm gonna finish my meatball sub. Anyone ever type so quick their computer starts beeping at them? LOL
With T5s, 10K bulbs with the highest reflection qualities possible are about as close as it comes to replicating the "energy" towards PAR that clams may need. Granted it is partially based off of NM that is coming from each spectrum.
You can do this if you want to, I already know. Grab two clams, both with the same coloration patterns and see which one has more densely populated (or "overpopulated" in one of the cases) Zooxanthellae in it's mantle after a few months; the one under halides or T5s. When Zooxanthellae are not feeding off of light because they are not getting enough, they turn to nitrogen. Guess what they are competing with for the nitrogen and ammonium.....The clam maybe. You think I just blurt this stuff out without researching it for quite some time?
As for the two Croceas above, the one to the left still looks partially ok. The one on the right is stretching its mantle A LOT.
Here ya go. Here's a Crocea that I have had for quite some time now. You can almost say I pretty much raised the thing. PITCH!!! If anyone wants to buy the thing I am trying to sell it.

dplantz

Hey now don't fight, can't you see its tearing us apart

I'm going to have to be "that guy" and side with candycane. My neighbor had a 4" crocea for about 1 1/2 years under a 6 bulb T-5 with individual fixture, and it "seemed" ok until, BAM! Bleached spots all over the mantle and it died within a month. And you said that its 4", but you had it for 4 years? I though it would have grow a little?

dplantz

Where'd you get it lol? Or did you make it? Im a Su
ay guy, im just sad they took so many subs off there 5$ foot long deal. I liked the Su
ay Melt and club, but now there too expensive

candycane

Originally Posted by dplantz
http:///forum/post/2682775
Where'd you get it lol? Or did you make it? Im a Su
ay guy, im just sad they took so many subs off there 5$ foot long deal. I liked the Su
ay Melt and club, but now there too expensive

That's where I got it from.

mie

Here is my derasa clam with an unidentified hitchhicker.
It is in a 72 gal, 400 watt 10k xm, 100 wat vho.
Growth is almost 1 inch in 3 months.

candycane

LOL. That picture is VERY nice. I think it is some sort of sponge,

In all seriousness though, you gotta watch linckias when they get past a certain size. The are notorious for eating inverts and crushing smaller mollusks like muscles. I have seen them be "overly aggressive" towards Tridacna clams several of times. If you want, just try to keep an eye out at the top of the Derasas mantle for VERY small chunks missing or signs of lighting around the mantle, they may look like windows.

cichlidkid

well i have finally been able to respond to the question about the crocea being bleached, and i ahve to say it isnt. i have had the thing for about 7 monthes and it is under a 250 watt de phoenix bulb. It is about 1 foot from the top of the tank in depth. tomorrow i will try to take a picture of the clam from a top view to get a better picture of the mantel.

dplantz

Well this is my thread so Im going to come out and say that I think Candycane is the "Clam king, gurue, ect." This is a picture thread and not a "oh it's on thread" Candycane just gives help because he cares about clams and whether or not you heed his advise is your choice. And now all seriousness aside.

mie

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2683288
LOL. That picture is VERY nice. I think it is some sort of sponge,

In all seriousness though, you gotta watch linckias when they get past a certain size. The are notorious for eating inverts and crushing smaller mollusks like muscles. I have seen them be "overly aggressive" towards Tridacna clams several of times. If you want, just try to keep an eye out at the top of the Derasas mantle for VERY small chunks missing or signs of lighting around the mantle, they may look like windows.
That happened about 3 months ago and the star has not been back, But thanks for the info i will watch it.

coral keeper

Here are some pictures of 2 BEAUTIFUL clams that I got from candycane. Thanks again candycane!! Picture number 1 is a teardrop Maxima and picture number 2 is a Crocea.