thoughts on other life..

37g joe

Originally Posted by Beth
I think plenty of things go wrong all the time to earth, and certainly in the "early years" when the planet was still being bombarded by astronomical bodies. For instance, a large asteroid hits the earth and wipes out the dinosaurs. Still, small mammals live and continue on. .
The problem with the Astroid theory is that the sun was blackeened out for posibly years. I Wonder how Coral survived in those conditions where they have no light and the water tempetures rapidily change. Also birds would of survived which have high motabolisms and need a good amount of food how did they survive think about all the particles such as iridium dust in the air. birds are quite sensitive to toxins in the air think of a minors canary. Large crocs survived to and so did sharks and other large animals how did they survive.

1journeyman

There are those, like myself, who do not see a conflict between God and science. ...
We're 100% in agreement then.
The Bible is not a science book. Not by any means, nor was it meant to be read as one. The "church" for too long has opposed science, just as "science" has tried too hard to disprove God.

phixer

Originally Posted by 37g Joe
The problem with the Astroid theory is that the sun was blackeened out for posibly years. I Wonder how Coral survived in those conditions where they have no light and the water tempetures rapidily change. Also birds would of survived which have high motabolisms and need a good amount of food how did they survive think about all the particles such as iridium dust in the air. birds are quite sensitive to toxins in the air think of a minors canary. Large crocs survived to and so did sharks and other large animals how did they survive.
Joe I thought you left already?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Coral reefs formed at the end of the last ice age [around 20,000 yrs ago]---long after the theorized extinction of dinosaurs [hit by meteor--around 65 million years ago, give or take a few yrs.
].
That the planet was hit by a huge meteor, its a fact. If it caused extinction of dinosaurs, who knows? It may have finished them off at a time when they were going extinct anyway. I'm sure that impact killed many species of animals. And it certainly gave other animals the opportunity to thrive. Thank goodness, because I sure as heck don't want to have to worry about Rex when I step outside my house! LOL
The point was that catastrophic things happen on earth...and yet life survives, and even thrives. That tells me that life is not that hard to get going, given a wee bit of chance and the right kind of planet.

37g joe

Coral reefs formed at the end of the last ice age [around 20,000 yrs ago]---long after the theorized extinction of dinosaurs [hit by meteor--around 65 million years ago, give or take a few yrs.
].
That the planet was hit by a huge meteor, its a fact. If it caused extinction of dinosaurs, who knows? It may have finished them off at a time when they were going extinct anyway. I'm sure that impact killed many species of animals. And it certainly gave other animals the opportunity to thrive. Thank goodness, because I sure as heck don't want to have to worry about Rex when I step outside my house! LOL
The point was that catastrophic things happen on earth...and yet life survives, and even thrives. That tells me that life is not that hard to get going, given a wee bit of chance and the right kind of planet.
Sorry beth But Svcientests say Corals first appeared in the fossil record during Cambrian period, around 570 million years ago. The origien of Corals at least stated by scientist goes much farther than 20,000 years.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/cnidaria/anthozoafr.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral#Geological_history

37g joe

Originally Posted by Phixer
Joe I thought you left already?
next week phixer my last day at work is tuesday. Been so busy packing and taking care of things befor I leave. I well be back in december. One of the last things I still need to do is dismantle the Tank.

1journeyman

shogun323

Originally Posted by Dogstar
I'll bet them danm Damsels survived too. Those devils can survive any thing.

That's good, Dogstar!!!!

reefreak29

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Yes, but due to the various Ice Ages our coral reefs are much younger. I've read as young as 6,000 years old.
i can believe that since the worlds only 10000 years old (according to bible)

lion_crazz

There is no way the world is only 10,000 years old. Dinosaurs existed 65 million years ago.
I totally agree with Beth on the topic of science and religion also. I don't see any reason why science and religion cannot exist together.

shogun323

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
I totally agree with Beth on the topic of science and religion also. I don't see any reason why science and religion cannot exist together.
I agree with both of you. I believe that they must co-exist.

37g joe

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Yes, but due to the various Ice Ages our coral reefs are much younger. I've read as young as 6,000 years old.
I am not talking about the actual coral reefs I am talking about the Corall (the actual organisms and species that make up the coral reefs. New reefs are created all the time look at all the world war 2 ships that have become artificial reefs it did not take thousands of years for them to form. What I am talking about are the actual coral that could not have survived during a time where the sun was blacked out for years after an astroid hit. You try to keep soft and hard corals alive for just a few monthes with NO Light. And sudenly reduced water tempetures. Corals are not like plants where you can have seeds for years and then plant them and they well grow.
Scientists say hard corals such as Acropora came into existance during the The Paleozoic area 543 to 248 Million Years Ago. But scientists say that the Dinosaurs died out some 65 million years ago most likely from a astroid that had the affect of creating compleet darkness for years and lowerd the earths tempeture very rapidly. If that is true than how did corals survive? The Ancestors of the corals we have today would have had to face no light. somes only sorce of food. Rapid tempeture change and rapid higher salinity because the freasing of fresh water and poles do to the rapid tempeture change. Which would also lead to a drop in the Sea level due to poles freazing and since corals are near the surface would cause alotof corals to be abouve sea level.

37g joe

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
There is no way the world is only 10,000 years old. Dinosaurs existed 65 million years ago.
Thats a theory not a fact.

ruaround

Originally Posted by reefreak29
i can believe that since the worlds only 10000 years old (according to bible)
:hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :hilarious
i really hope there is other life out there... and we can soon meet...

ruaround

Originally Posted by 37g Joe
Thats a theory not a fact.
carbon dating... cmon it is not a theory that dinosaurs existed... it is fact...

37g joe

Originally Posted by ruaround
carbon dating... cmon it is not a theory that dinosaurs existed... it is fact...

Wow you guys keep twisting what I say. The theory is when they existed not if they exsisted. Carbon dating time lines are made by assumptions and theories but not on factual evidence that backs it up it assumes that it validates itself and thier is no change of how carbon Isotopes react over time.

sharkboy13

***) ***) ***) ***) this is more interesting than when i throw in a 16oz bag of silversides at the pet stores predator tank..

ruaround

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
***) ***) ***) ***) this is more interesting than when i throw in a 16oz bag of silversides at the pet stores predator tank..
how about more interesting than swabbing an ice machine at a returaunt and putting that into a petri dish...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
37g-J, I was thinking more of our current living coral reefs, obviously getting started after the last ice age, since ice is not conducive to coral reef development. But, you are right, coral itself is a very ancient species, indeed. Again, an indication of how life has the capacity to survive catastrophic calamities.