To all guests on SWF.com

usc932000

I believe that most guests are looking around first and reading discussions and posts if they have questions. They may not want to ask a question and be told "Did you look...here....there?" OR the guaranteed verbal beat down that they get when they post their methods of doing things if its not "done" the way the masses do it, or something is being done incorrectly altogether.
Just somethings that I've noticed

gmann1139

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/2911779
I want to add something too...If you do register don't post the same question/thread in 5 different places! Read the headers, figure out the best place and post it there.

+1. This is really annoying me lately.
And don't worry if you're in the wrong forum. Mods can move threads, if necessary.

t316

Originally Posted by USC932000
http:///forum/post/2912834
I believe that most guests are looking around first and reading discussions and posts if they have questions. They may not want to ask a question and be told "Did you look...here....there?" OR the guaranteed verbal beat down that they get when they post their methods of doing things if its not "done" the way the masses do it, or something is being done incorrectly altogether.
Just somethings that I've noticed

Good point USC...

I agree that I personally don't like seeing new folks being scolded and sent to go search. It doesn't bother me at all if someone asks a question that has already been asked 100 times. I think it's fine to post a link to something, or direct people to the "helpful threads" here in the New Hobbyists section. But most of the time, even I prefer to "talk" to someone verses going and looking it up.

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2912892
Good point USC...

I agree that I personally don't like seeing new folks being scolded and sent to go search. It doesn't bother me at all if someone asks a question that has already been asked 100 times. I think it's fine to post a link to something, or direct people to the "helpful threads" here in the New Hobbyists section. But most of the time, even I prefer to "talk" to someone verses going and looking it up.
Eh, sometimes I have bad days and I do recommend doing the search.

happy camper

Hi
Guilty as charged. I have been lurking for a bit now and have learned lots from all of you. Thanks! I have had my tank up and running for about 6 months now. So far, so good. I do have a question. I have a red slime problem. I have cut down on the feeding, lights and changed the flow. Should I look at something else, or is this part of a new tank's cycle?

sk8fergy

I have to admit that i was intimidated when i first came to this site. If it wasnt for all the people that genuinely cared to see others succeed i dont think i would have ever posted. Im at the point in just 2 months on here i look through all the questions and answer them to myself and then scroll down to see if im right. Im addicted to this site. LOL

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by Happy Camper
http:///forum/post/2912956
Hi
Guilty as charged. I have been lurking for a bit now and have learned lots from all of you. Thanks! I have had my tank up and running for about 6 months now. So far, so good. I do have a question. I have a red slime problem. I have cut down on the feeding, lights and changed the flow. Should I look at something else, or is this part of a new tank's cycle?
You're taking some great steps. If you have crushed coral, you should replace it with live sand. Increase the amount of live rock you have, if you can... buy a protein skimmer and create a refugium or add macroalgae to your display tank. Water changes help a whole lot and feed less! That's it!
Originally Posted by sk8fergy

http:///forum/post/2912970
I have to admit that i was intimidated when i first came to this site. If it wasnt for all the people that genuinely cared to see others succeed i dont think i would have ever posted. Im at the point in just 2 months on here i look through all the questions and answer them to myself and then scroll down to see if im right. Im addicted to this site. LOL
I really want people to succeed. There's nothing more annoying then to see someone who doesn't heed the advice of others. Thanks for taking people's advice and welcome to the forums!

maryg

I have been on this board for several months now. I find it very resourcefull and I learned so much here. I think one of the reasons some people might be hesitant to post and just look is the constant "beat down" they get from asking a question. That is what the purpose of these boards is right? Some of the seasoned people on here get real cranky and take it out on others. I remember the golden rule, "if you don't have nothing nice to say....".
Some can get their point across without being rude and distasteful. Alot of us are still learning.

snakeblitz33

I hope I am one of those people who can get my point across without being rude and/or distasteful???? I try to be nice...

usc932000

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2912892
Good point USC...

I just remember how I was afraid to ask the experts questions and some of the responses I would get when I first got in the hobby....lol
For the most part, people want to do the right thing after investing a lot into this, but sometimes it can be overwhelming wth advice coming from every direction. But this site is without a doubt is one of the best places for information anywhere.